geared 36er

Alright, so you have to change the gears manually ? so When you want to change gears you have to stop? corect me if I am wrong… Also… no price is up on the website anyone got an idea of how much it should be ?

I had an opportunity to ride that amazing beast in 2005.

I wrote about it here (if anyone cares to read a very mediocre rider’s experiences with a geared Coker).

maxcarriere, Greg’s Coker is a one-speed (fast). You don’t shift it. I don’t know anything about other geared Cokers, though.

It’s actually shiftable in its present configuration. It requires removing a bolt and then inserting it in a different spot with a spacer. As far as I know, Ryan Atkins has it right now.

And, by the way, Dave Lowell is der Uber rider of der Uber Coker.

I think they’re about as fast as you ride them. I think they would charge you about what they cost.

Cost for a Outta Phaze style geared Coker is probably going to be expensive. If you have to ask how much it is going to be you probably can’t afford it.

I don’t know if U-Turn has had any interest in the geared Outta Phaze yet. Costs would likely include the design time necessary to get it designed and then there’s custom machining that needs to be done to make the hub. U-Turn has the rights to the basic design but I don’t know if he has a specific design already engineered.

If you do ask him, make sure you’re sitting down and ready for a wallop. At worst then you’ll end up pleasantly surprised if it comes in under your expectations. :wink:

A very cool unicycle though. I predict that an Outta Phaze will ultimately end up owning the hour record and the 100 mile record.

Course with the gearing ratio possibilities with the Outta Phaze design you could make it with a 29er wheel rather than the Coker wheel. Just gear it up more. You’ll end up with a lighter wheel. Might be better that way for speed and endurance records.

Re: geared 36er

On Mar 2, 3:58 pm, john_childs
<john_chi…@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:
> maxcarriere wrote:
> > Alright, so you have to change the gears manually ? so When you want to
> > change gears you have to stop? corect me if I am wrong… Also… no
> > price is up on the website anyone got an idea of how much it should be
> > ?
>
> Cost for a Outta Phaze style geared Coker is probably going to be
> expensive. If you have to ask how much it is going to be you probably
> can’t afford it.
>
> I don’t know if U-Turn has had any interest in the geared Outta Phaze
> yet. Costs would likely include the design time necessary to get it
> designed and then there’s custom machining that needs to be done to
> make the hub. U-Turn has the rights to the basic design but I don’t
> know if he has a specific design already engineered.
>
> If you do ask him, make sure you’re sitting down and ready for a
> wallop. At worst then you’ll end up pleasantly surprised if it comes
> in under your expectations. :wink:
>
> A very cool unicycle though. I predict that an Outta Phaze will
> ultimately end up owning the hour record and the 100 mile record.
>
> Course with the gearing ratio possibilities with the Outta Phaze design
> you could make it with a 29er wheel rather than the Coker wheel. Just
> gear it up more. You’ll end up with a lighter wheel. Might be better
> that way for speed and endurance records.
>
> –
> john_childs
>
> john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
> Team Never Wash Your Muni
> Gallery:http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
> ‘Unicycling Bookmark List’ (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
> ‘World Clock’ (Current Local Times in Selected Cities)
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> john_childs’s Profile:http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
> View this thread:http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58509

Hans Fiby rode a geared (1 / 1.5 ratios) 36"er on the SINZ unitour.
It was a Schlumpf hub (are there any others?) which he bought together
with the frame and had fitted up. It was pretty quick.

See also:

http://www.sinzuni.org/

You can get schlumpf geared 36ers, loosemoose has one. Basically you buy the hub cranks and frame from schlumpf, then buy a rim, spokes, tyre, seat etc. and stick the lot together. Expect to pay in excess of £1k ($2k) for it though. I’ve ridden it quite a lot and it’s a good setup, albeit tricky to change gears at speed.

Yes, the Schlumpf hub in a Coker wheel would be the other option.

The two styles of geared unicycles we currently have are the Schlumpf style hub and the Outta Phaze style jackshaft gearing.

I was talking about the Outta Phaze style that LiveWire Unicycles (U-Turn) can make. Of course U-Turn could also make a geared Coker using the Schlumpf hub too.

Some info on the Outta Phaze design are here:
http://www.livewireunicycles.com/Outta%20Phaze.htm

Yes. The originals. Franks Bonsch’s (Unifrank) and mine.

Greg, why is the axle so wide? I don’t really have any experience with geared unicycles, I rode a 36" geared for a minute or two at Unicon and it was quite disapointing… saying that the unicycle had 125mm or 140mm cranks on which didn’t get me more speed than 80mm or 90mm, a 36" with short cranks would probably ride better. Maybe Greg can answer this question, why are all the gear ratio’s so small? Myself I would be going for a smaller wheel and a heavier gear ratio instead of a big wheel with a ‘small’ ratio like 1.5 is it because above 1.5/1.6 is mechanically impossible or is there a longer train of thoughts behind it?

The first pass making the geared hub, I wanted enough taper on the axle to make sure I could get any cranks on it. I was unfamiliar with making the tapers. It increased the “Q” substantially and when I made the first hardened axle upgrade I shortened it to match the CroMoly axle profiles.

The limit of the simple planetary hub gear ratio in this mode (fixed sun, driven planets, hub connected ring) is 2. The 2 is actually unattainable because it requires infinitesmally small planet gears. The ratio goes as

1+sun/ring

where sun is the number of teeth in the sun gear and ring is the number of teeth in the ring gear. The sun/ring ratio is limited by

ring=sun+2*planet

where planet is the number of teeth in a planet gear. Higher gear ratios require going to a compound gearing system. This adds quite a bit of weight and complexity.

I personally think that the larger and heavier the wheel is the more stable the ride is. I have ridden light 24" up through Coker wheels in 1.5 mode and found that stability increases with diameter and weight or, better, stability increases with wheel inertia.

Here’s a picture of me on the Schlumpf 36" I rode in the Marathon at Unicon last summer. I don’t know the status of being able to order one of these directly, the story on this particular one, etc. It belongs to Roger Davies.

The nice thing about it is you can cruise along at a nice clip without having to pedal so fast. The downside is you have to pay a lot more attention to keep it balanced. I was not able to ride at (or near) the speed of the front group in the race. Due to my lack of conditioning for such a long race however, I think I got a better time on that cycle than I would have on an ungeared Coker. Maybe. My experiences in that race are described in great detail in some similar threads.

Will any square taper crank arm fit the geared Schlumpf?

Pretty much. The Schlumpf shift buttons screw onto the center of the axle and are secured by a tiny allen set screw. There is a thin threaded shift rod through the square tapered axle itself, which is activated laterally by hitting the shift buttons on either side.
As long as the crank arm has the standard hole to fit a screw-on crank remover, the shift buttons, which fit in the same area, should also fit. The buttons sit about half-in, half-out of the crank.
Newer versions of the Schlumpf supposedly shift crisper (i.e. less free play).

I don’t know that a geared wheel with longer cranks is really faster than an ungeared wheel with short cranks and a fast rider.

The thing with a geared 36er is that you can ride a good speed with a relaxed cadence vs. spinning your butt off. It’s sort of a spinning vs. mashing thing.

With a geared 36er, you have to get more muscle into the cranks, which is harder to do than on a bicycle where you have more leverage. If you think about it, 54 gear inches (36*1.5) is still a relatively low gear for a bike. I think unicycles lend themselves more to a faster cadance

Also, regarding big geared wheels vs. small geared wheels, I find that the larger wheels are much more stable (as Greg also mentioned) Geared unicycles are “twitchy” and require a fast reaction time. The smaller the wheel, the twitchier they are.

So it’s better to get used to a good 36 than a geared uni. That is what I thought, and I am getting different length cranks that I switch on the trails. It would be a lot of fun to try it out a geared uni though.

I’ll have to wait till my next few paychecks:(

The schlumpf is lots of fun, but accelerates so fast and stops so quick due to the weight and the gearing that I would use a good fixed 36" if I was doing more than 30 miles as it’s more work to keep a constant stedy speed with the schlumpf. I do know you can get it as a 36" and the new Nimbus 36" frame has the screw holes for the arm that comes off the gearing as roger owns one and designs the nimbus. I would of though that it would cost around £950-£1050 as the 29" schlumpf is around £890 and the nimbus frame is £70, and you also need to get spoke made as the hub is wider than normal, and they need to be stronger. hope that helps

p.s. if there are lots of hills on you ride though, the schlumpf really comes in to its own!! I love it when i come down a big hill and smoothly drop down a gear for a big up hill! that’s when it all seem worth wile! :wink:

Pete

Unfortunately the maths isn’t that simple, 29" rim + tyre+ tube = £60 maybe? 36" rim + tyre+ tube = £165 by my reckoning. Also buying the parts seperately costs more, it comes out at a bit above £1050

Mmm, what you guys say makes sense but I am still interested in seeing what a small wheel with heavy gears would do, yes it would be harder to ride but isn’t that just getting used to? A lot of people say riding a coker with 80mm cranks is insane but they’ve never tried it, for me 100mm was just a little step down from 114, and 90mm was just a little step down from the 100’s, and 80 was just a wee step down from 90’s, I could probably go smaller but eventually you just hit a barrier and I think the future for ‘road’ riding is gears.

Mscalisi, you say riders with a high cadence might be able to beat geared riders, we sure did at Unicon haha but on a more flat terrain I think that geared unicycles would win over, I have a max cadence of just above 200RPM downhill and 150RPM for a long period of time on flat, for me the next step is not improving my RPM to let’s say 160, but for me the step is to see how to better spend that energy, if you look at the world hour record for bicyclists their RPM has always been between 100 and 110, if you look at what my RPM was at my hour record it was above 150RPM and Patrick Schmid’s attempt was even worse, maybe someone wants to calculate it, 27.18km on a 36" wheel with 114mm cranks I believe, Ken please correct me if I’m wrong, I think he used the 102’s on the marathon and 114mm on the record attempt but I can’t be sure.

I agree that the jury is still out, and it will be interesting to see the results as more strong riders have access to geared wheels. I will say this: In Laos, I was on a standard 36" and when Gilby put the juice on his geared 29er, I could not keep up. Then again, he may have been able to drop me using a non-geared cycle.

Still, putting power into your stroke on a unicycle is hard. On a bike, you have clipless pedals and handle bars as things to help you muscle your cycle (yes, we have handles, but it’s not quite the same).