Freewheel Unicycling Megathread

The Qu-Ax price has not been announced yet. It’ll presumably be rather less than £1000 (or nobody will buy them), but more expensive than any other hub that Qu-Ax make.

Mowcius did i once read that you had like 5 bicymple hubs? Could i tempt you to sell one if so ?

I uhh, hush now…

I have however already messaged you

1 Like

Ooh yes i just saw that after i pressed send! Il pm you now

Mad azz in NZ should still be an option if needed.

https://www.madazztrikes.com/pedal-hub

Good colour too! :grinning:

Looks like orange is sold out but black is available

Qu-ax hubs should be less than half the price of a Flik Flock hub. They should arrive in the next container, presumably this summer.

Still a lot of money, but I don’t think it would suffer from being dropped as there is no prominent buttons on it. By the way, it looks way easier to learn on such a hub as the engagement is instantaneous.

1 Like

Sorry if this is off topic, but does anyone have any comparisons on bc wheel vs freewheel difficulty/skill sets?

I used to ride my bc wheels (nimbus platform one and modded bmx pegs one) down a lot of hills but haven’t been able to try a freewheel yet

Hey Freewheelers.
This is might seem like an “impossible trick” but I think it’s possible on a freewheel.

Can you IDLE on a freewheel crank unicycle?

Yes, you are clutched when rotating forwards, but how can you go backwards?
Use your upper body & hips to lean or tip back? Maybe?

I’m not a freewheeler, but in analyzing one footing…I’ve come to this hypothesis?

So, any expert freewheelers, out there try this?
I think if you are an advanced freewheeler who is capable of easily balancing with cranks holding 6 and 12 o’clock then you might be capable of doing idling.

It seems like you could do it on an uphill, with the backwards action coming from rolling back down. That’s how I do a bike trackstand when I’m not on my fixed gear bike.

Pushing backwards off the brake is also a bike trackstand thing. That’s how I do it if I’m stuck on a downhill at a traffic light or wherever.

2 Likes

Most bc wheels don’t have brakes and don’t have pedals so braking and pedaling will still need to be learned. You may have a leg up on learning coasting, but that’s hard to say since the base is not fixed. I was proficient at riding a freewheel unicycle before trying a bc wheel. I didn’t feel the skills crossed over very much and it took me some time to get basic proficiency at the bc wheel.

The bc wheel is closer to a peg unicycle but the balance is a little different since there’s no saddle. I tried 3-4 months to learn to manual on a bmx bike and didn’t get anywhere with it. I feel anyone who can learn to ride a bc wheel can learn to ride a freewheel unicycle.

1 Like

How do you mount a freewheel unicycle? I’m having a lot of difficulty in doing mine even with support. I’ve kind of worked out a method by holding a pole and the brake on but it’s pretty sloppy.

So I do a brake assisted jump mount, as it works anywhere and everywhere.

You can also do a freemount but starting with the wrong (front) pedal (typically brake assisted but it’s just about possible without if you’re feeling crazy).

3 Likes

I do brake assisted first foot on the crank, second to the pedal.

This video shows a progression to work up to it. I still use the final technique except that I tap the brake briefly to arrest any forward motion before I start pedalling (and I have higher to jump on a 26" wheel). I believe this is what @mowcius is describing. My 36" and GameChanger videos have some mounts in them, too, I think.

1 Like

Thanks so much for posting that youtube. I’ve been watching his videos but missed that one. Exactly the one I needed.
Earlier this year I got a hub from Madazz NZD170 and built a 20” wheel for the first time. I’ll get it out and follow that video…yay

There is a disc installed on the madazz hub but I haven’t put brake calipiers on. In the. Video he doesn’t use brakes and another freewheel instructional video ( AJ Kinsella Johnson) recommends learning without brake also.

I forgot about this 2nd tutorial video that I made back in 2014. It’s on a bigger wheel (26") and starts out with a mount in slow motion followed by one at regular speed. Thanks to my old mechanical brake you can hear when I disengage the brake lever (it clicks when it falls back into place).

(Watching this video again reminds me that I really need to practice what I’m calling “switch stance”.)

4 Likes

Thank you @waaalrus and @mowcius. I’ve presented the pawls to my local mechanic with no luck. I’ve also searched online for replacement pawls with the product information from @waaalrus’s link. Just from looks https://www.woodcockcycle.com/product/spank-spoon-135-150-rear-hub-4-pawl-spring-kit-300020-1.htm and Universal Cycles -- SunRingle Hub Parts [281-37251-K001, EJPAWL, DJPAWK, 281-31620, ERRING36T, EDDRRING, 281-32014] are quite close. I think the search might me hopeless. Maybe there would be someone with a broken nimbus hub shell whose pawls are still there :confused:
My palws:

I’m finding pedalling against some sort of resistance makes it a little easier like grass so far. I was quite surprised how easy it was to ride uphill with a freewheel.