Freewheel Unicycling Megathread

Absolutely - that’s that the Build FAQ is for! :grin:

1 Like

I’ll add a note to say that suppliers will often be able to build up from parts if they have hubs in stock.

1 Like

Thanks for starting this thread @mowcius

Great work, @mowcius! Let me contribute something related to the JR P-hub: disc side nut is right-hand threaded, non-disc side nut is left-hand threaded. (I just needed that haha)

1 Like

I have the following, but it could probably do with being rearranged somehow:

1 Like

Adventures in Freewheeling - 2013

Too bad waalrus’ Youtube channel is shut down. There was a lot of great freewheel videos there. Anyone knows him and can ask?

1 Like

He reuploaded some of them here.

I linked some of them in the Riding Videos section.

1 Like

Today, I converted my 26" freewheel muni, which I had been using for more than 3 years, to 29"! First ride went pretty well, the 29er fits my local terrain very well (trails with lots of roots and mud, dirt roads in between). I kept the 125 mm cranks.

3 Likes

When I went off social media a few years ago I deleted the videos that were in my old YouTube account. As you discovered I reuploaded some of them into my regular Google account. I purposefully didn’t upload all of them but I’ll look through and see what I else I can find. They could stand as a “what not to do” in terms of freewheel unicycling since I spent years and thousands of miles on techniques that were not so good.

5 Likes

Happy to have you back with us!

Do you ride freewheel much these days?

Whatever you think of your techniques, your videos definitely helped to inspire many of the current generation of riders!
Just seeing you ride off-road got my mind obsessed with the possibilities.

If I remember correctly you had a video with you riding a 36" freewheel. I’d be interested in seeing the free mount.

2 Likes

There used to be a video somewhere of someone (possibly in China?) riding a 36" freewheel too, but I can’t find it now.

There’s are two great 32" mounts in this video at 0:33 and 0:49:

And two videos from the freewheel 36" thread with brakeless mounting:

2 Likes

There are two different angles of the mount at the beginning of this video in addition to those interspersed throughout.

3 Likes

In February 2018 I stopped unicycling every day (like I had been) to focus more on juggling. I would still ride 2-3 times a week (including the occasional freewheel ride) but since COVID-19 I’ve done very little riding outside of unicycle basketball. I’m hoping to get back to more regular freewheel practice to get more practice on my “new” setup.

2 Likes

This is the video I was thinking of. Thanks. :smiley:

1 Like

Bicymple sells some:
The Bicymple Play has a “Single-speed, Freewheeling bicymple Proprietary” hub.
The Bicymple Penny Farthing has a “Proprietary Schlumpf hub, 2-Speed, Freewheeling”.

Those are the same two videos. Is it an error?

You might want to add those two videos of @toutestbon:

1 Like

Such control in the indoor training vid. Nice to watch. I got scared of my freewheel when I made a hard drop backwards on my bum. As toutestbon is hopping on the uni with just his legs in the air, I reckon I could try and get comfortable with that first. Riding on a normal uni and then just lifting one foot, I already find scary. But the idea of not having to pedal will make riding probably very pleasant and you might be able to go bigger distances.

1 Like

Ahh yes, how could I forget the freewheel Schlumpf hub. I’ll add that information.

The single speed however looks like a Nimbus/Madazz shell with square taper cranks so nothing special there.

[EDIT - how wrong I was here. The Bicymple hub is the ISIS wonder we’d been waiting for]

Yes. Oddly I noticed the mistake while writing the post, but then I must have forgotten to fix it! It’s fixed now.

The indoor one I’d been looking for actually - I couldn’t remember who had recorded it!
Probably a good one for the learning section as it shows a variety of mounts from both sides in high quality.

The santa one, perhaps Road and Distance seeing as it’s on flat?

1 Like