Freewheel Revolution - riding the Qaxle Freewheel prototype

I can’t jump mount on a Freewheel ( I find them too scary and inconvenient) so I do it like in the video and as described earlier but often also with some supper and not static.

2 Likes

I lock my brake and do a jump mount. It’s quite the manoeuvre on the 32" wheel but with 125mm cranks I think it’s the easiest option.

I can do the front foot first freemount (brake assisted) like Becky does, and the quarter back-rev mount from one pedal at the bottom (also generally brake assisted)

Any chance we’re going to see some video of Florian riding?

1 Like

I do remember there being a bit of a lack of affordable looking large (and lightweight) sprag clutches back when I was talking to Onyx Racing about their hubs and a potential ISIS hub build.

I presume that Qu-Ax are doubling up larger clutches like Onyx do - I wonder whether the hollow axle is used as the inner half of the clutch somehow.
Onyx hub internals:

I don’t think this will happen due to the additional learning curve over a fixed wheel, but I do increasingly think that freewheel will just turn into a pretty normal choice, like geared hubs (for those who can afford them at least!), rather than the weird niche that it still is right now.
I wonder how competitions will consider them - will they slot into standard wheel size restricted categories or will there be new categories for them?

2 Likes

I don’t think there will ever be new categories for them. Even geared hubs do not have special categories, they just go into an “everything-fits” category. Unless unicycling become more popular we will never be enough freewheelers to create new categories.
But it would be great if I am mistaken and the number of freewheelers increases by a lot :smiley:

He has something in the making, but that will still take time. But you can see him in Turtle’s videos occasionally, like in that one:

4 Likes

I wonder if there isn’t some way to make a freewheel hub that can lock up. It would seem like a simple pin through the hub could be a manual way of doing this. Of course it would have to be designed for this as I imagine the torque applied to the axle would quickly destroy a hub that was converted simply by drilling a hole. Still, it doesn’t seem like it would require half the engineering of a geared hub.

There have been a few discussions around this with the general consensus being that:

a) It’s harder than you think to have a mechanism that “locks” a hub with a clutch that can withstand the forces of unicycling. Absolutely easier to manufacture than a geared hub but not trivial.

b) We’d all love to see one, but right now even a freewheel hub designed for unicycling isn’t available to the public so we’d like to see that first!

3 Likes

Excellent. This mount is the way to go forward. I could raise my seat to a correct riding position and even mount on a slight incline, which I’ve never been able to do before. My success rate got up to maybe 50% at the end. My hand got tired, feel I need a stronger brake. My previous mounting technique was good for a beginner as it needs less commitment, but it was a dead end as I had to have the seat low. And the knee pads came in handy too.

2 Likes