Freewheel Revolution - riding the Qaxle Freewheel prototype

16 Likes

Great video!
Why isn’t your brake lever further on your t-bar so you can grab it while holding to the bar ends? Would it affect your balance a lot?

why do you wear knee protection, you will only ever fall on your bum on a freewheel. I speak from experience :slight_smile: It must be very relaxing to just be able to sit on ur wheel and rolling downwards, though I understand you need a good focus on ur braking. Great video!

Thanks! I can’t remember falling on my bum even once​:thinking::sweat_smile: For me Freewheel riding is like normal riding now for my brain, I don’t need to concentrate more on braking than with my normal uni.

1 Like

Thanks! If it’s further out the risk of breaking the lever is high and I like to have the brake close to me with a straight arm and the middle part is a great hand position for me. The t end I don’t really use when riding my Freewheel, but I only have one frame and seat for 2 wheels (Muni and Freewheel) and I use that t end lots for unipacking or easier xc parts on my Muni.

2 Likes

I have my brake on my freewheel set up so it’s accessible from one bar end, and conveniently because I run the ends themselves the other way around, it’s just safe from ground impact damage.
I’m not totally sure whether it makes much of a difference though - I just did it because it’s the setup I’m used to from road riding.

There are often occasions where I’d like to swap hands though so a symmetrical design like Becky’s might be the way to go.

1 Like

Does freewheeling make you less tired than riding a fixed uni?

The symmetrical design is also great for letting people try out your uni. I wanted to try Ben’s Freewheel once, was not possible for me because he uses the handle saddle and the other hand🙈

2 Likes

It depends on the terrain. Easy cross-country with longer smooth downhill, it’s definitely less tiring. When it’s gets a bit technical they are the same, when it’s very technical I prefer the Muni. Unipacking is also harder on a Freewheel because you need to concentrate more with all the weight on the back.

3 Likes

How well does your brain switch between them, especially with using an identical frame setup for the fixed wheel?
Do you also find going from freewheel to fixed weirder than going the other way?

I agree with that. When I have received my freewheel I have rode it for a few weeks without riding a fixed uni. The first time I got back onto a fixed uni it was really weird and I was trying to freewheel… Which has not been a great success. But now when I switch between my freewheel and my fixed unis it is not an issue anymore. I guess it’s because I ride them regularly.

1 Like

Seems to be real fun. I finished my selfbuilt isis freewheelhub with disc last week. No chance for me to get on without brake but really funny to ride, also still need a lot of practice. And it was realy scary to change from 24" freewheel ( after 2 day practice) to G36 with new cranks.

1 Like

Any pictures of that?

What clutch did you use for the build?

I use two csk25pp. Together they make 160Nm torque. I think this is enough for going up hills. But the hub made from steel and the clutches are not really lightwight . At the moment i have no pictures.

Love this video @Becky98. I find that mount very interesting. How do you normally mount without the freewheel? Which foot first on a regular static mount?

2 Likes

Riding a Freewheel on one day and a fixed on the other is usually no problem. Only once had a big problem after I did a 30 km Muni tour on my Freewheel with friends. I borrowed a Muni to one friend and had to ride about a km after the ride with 2 unis, riding the fixed and pushing the Freewheel. My brain was totally confused and I had an UPD instantly and had to ride very carefully home. Later that day I rode my 36" and also had an UPD because I thought it Freewheels. But that only happens that time on the 36" for me.
When riding the Freewheel I never got confused, only when riding fixed but when I have enough time in between it rarely happens that I think I have a Freewheel under me when riding. But it happens sometimes especially on nice downhill gravel roads when I use my brake too much.

3 Likes

Hi Becky,

Thanks for the video which is both fantastic and strange to watch. Apart from once watching a tutorial about freemounting a freewheel unicycle your video is the first proper ridding i have seen , do you prefer freewheel over fixed ?

I wonder how long itll be until freewheel is the “normal”

I too saw the front foot first freemount which is hows its done i guess.

1 Like

Thanks!
First foot on fixed uni is the left one and on my Freewheel also. Mounting I do like shown in the first clip of the video: crank, I put the foot on first, far back (like you tell beginners never to do) and assisted by the brake.

1 Like

Thank you!

I still prefer fixed over Freewheel for some riding, but it’s the other way around on some other trails. If I had to decide between fixed or Freewheel for my Muni once and for all I would probably choose fixed. Whereas my Teammates Florian Kaiser who is testing also the Freewheel hub probably would decide the other way around.

Others also mount differently, jumpmount is quite popular.

Jump mount is great and it’s probably the easiest to do for a freewheel beginner - if they already has their jump mount on a fixed uni. The idea is to put the front foot first so they can push forward and keep their balance. Like Becky does, but on a jump.

After two months of riding a freewheel, I feel like the most enjoyable mount is the running mount: like on a regular uni, just run, put your back foot first and the front foot later, while the first foot is doing a semi-backward rev. It’s great because like on a fixed uni you start with some speed so it’s easier to ride.

I’m wondering which one you prefer, Becky and other freewheelers. Are there any others useful mounts to master?

1 Like