freemount problems

I’ve been riding just over 3 months, and have been having trouble freemounting.

Have been using the “mailbox” mount, and would like to leave that behind…

I’ve been trying a rollback mount, but when I step on, the pedal goes straight down, and then I tip over to the right.

My dominant foot is right…it doesn’t seem to work well with my left foot either.

Any hints to help me along?

Thanks,
Tom

When freemounting try looking forward instead of down. Its another way to try it. Other than that its just practice. I’m trying to ride backwards and the progression is longer than when I first tried unicycling.

Practice Practice practice!

Don’t ferget to try kiteboarding

Don’t roll back, use your foot to keep the wheel still and jump up onto the uni as opposed to rolling the uni back under you. I found it alot easier anyway.

In general, I recommend learning the static mount (no rollback) anyway, as it is applicable in more situations for the future. (MUni and big wheel riding are both much easier with static mounts).

If you want to learn the rollback, most people start with their dominant foot on the pedal. The key for the rollback is that the wheel comes under you at the same time as you jump forward, and as you jump up, you smack the other pedal backwards with your free foot.

For the static mount, again, most people start with their dominant foot on the pedal (although I learned it the other way). You have to jump up pretty high without putting much weight on the foot on the pedal; it’s not absolutely zero weight, because your jump will push the unicycle forward. The amount of weight you put on the pedal is just enough to counteract the force of your body pushing the unicycle forward. Some people find it easier to think about keeping your leg and knee in a locked position, rather than thinking about the weight on the pedal.

For either mount, the more quickly you can get your second foot on the pedal, the better.

And, of course, lots of practice. When I was first learning, I found it impossible, and I gave up for a month or so. Getting more practice riding around pedestrians helped my freemounting, as I had to learn to be more comfortable on the unicycle when I was moving slowly.

I would agree here… having just taught both my kids to freemount, they were getting nowhere fast as long as they kept doing a rollback. I just told them to try to keep the wheel still and use their ground foot to sorta push them up on the uni more than using the pedal foot to move the uni under them. They learned pretty quick after that.

Here’s a copy of my version: (previously posted in another thread)

(One of the many suggestions you’ll get…)

I learned to freemount using a 12 inch piece of 2x4. I would lay it down on the ground and bring the back of my wheel up against it. The trick was learning how to get up onto the uni without having the wheel roll backwards over the block. Too much weight (which I have a lot of) and the wheel rolls over. Just the right amount of pressure and you’re up and moving. After you get the hang of mounting using the block, try it without it. If you still have problems mounting without the block you can swap the 2x4 for a thinner plank of wood and that will get you putting even less pressure onto the pedal as you mount. You’ll wean yourself off the block pretty quick. I found that this technique helped me learn how much weight on the pedal was too much and how much was just right.

Hope it works for you. Good Luck

Take breaks (like 1 week for a break) between learning! You’ll come back and suddenly it will be much easier than before. At least, that’s what happened to me. I’m up to ~95% success on my 29’er.

Lower your seat about 2 " from normal, and you can also try using a long rail. That way you don’t have to walk back to that exact spot everytime. Many more attempts per hour.

I first learned the Static mount as well. Having a moving wheel like the roll back mount was just adding too much complexity.

I make sure that the back pedal is at about 8 o’clock and had my dominate foot on it.
The important thing is to have enought weight on that pedal without making the wheel move. You need to have weight on the seat as well. Theres a balance between having weight on the seat and on the dominant foot.

Then I push of my non-dominant foot and push my body forward. The wheel shouldn’t move as you only have sufficient weight on the dominate foot to not move the wheel.

If you are not getting high enough in the push, you need to push alittle harder.

I learned to free mount in about a week. It was frustrating but I forced myself to learn to freemount instead of relying on the wall.

As everyone says, the more you practice the easier it will get.

Ben

If you’re having trouble mounting for free, you may pay me to mount.

This is all good advice and I’m having real trouble with the static mount too. Can’t seem to get the uni to stay still and the wheel keeps rolling back when I try to mount. I’ll use some of the advice on this thread though. Thanks guys. :smiley:

for learning direct mount:
a trick that do wonders (courtesy of John a member of our Muni group).
first perform a sery of pushes without trying to start or even putting you other foot on the pedal. you just start with gentle pushes and try to keep your balance without the forward foot sitting on your pedal doing any push.
try to do it slowly, with pushes that get you higher and higher, then when sufficiently high put your other foot on the forward pedal and start.
at that moment your body should be sufficiently forward (otherwise you’ll put your foot on the pedal but you won’t start rolling).
with that training I have seen a member of our group learn direct mount in just 15 minutes!
hope this helps

Re: freemount problems

Pauly <Pauly@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

> This is all good advice and I’m having real trouble with the static
> mount too. Can’t seem to get the uni to stay still and the wheel keeps
> rolling back when I try to mount. I’ll use some of the advice on this
> thread though. Thanks guys. :smiley:

This may help:

Try rolling the unicycle forward a little (maybe 1/8 of a turn) and
get you body moving forward just before you step on the pedal. Your
momentum will act opposite the tendency for the wheel to roll back
and, if you do it right, the unicycle will come to a complete stop as
you sit on the saddle. Wait another fraction of a second for your
momentum to carry you over top, then start pedalling.

In any case, sufficient practice practically guarantees success. Keep
at it.

Ken

practice… and then repeat. then practice some more.

I also took a hiatus from trying to freemount for about three weeks… I just mailbox mounted for three weeks and didnt even think about it.

then it was waaay easier when I tried doing it again. get comfortable on the uni first, and i think it might help.

with the rollback mount, it helped me to have the pedal at a 45 degree andle to the ground, as opposed to perpendicular. everyone’s different (and so is their unicycles…

Re: freemount problems

Tips for freemounting can also be found in the “Learning to Unicycle”
download from http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/uni_beginners.htm

You’re pushing too hard with your foot, you need to think of it more as a quick jumping motion.

Thanks for the replies. I’ll keep at it. :smiley:

the first freemount i pulled off was the jump mount. it was the only one i could get and was much, much easier than the standard freemount.

it also looked cooler.

but good luck, just keep trying.

Try stepping up on two or three steps slowly and notice how you bend your back and swing your arms forward to gain momentum. Now think about that movement and transpose it to the unicycle. Try leaning foreward over the unicycle; slowly, arms extended to front, that you almost fall over the front of the unicycle before you step off /hop with whatever foot is grounded. This seems to get the center of gravity foreward as the unicycle comes to the vertical and helps find that split second of balance needed for the grounded foot to settle on the peddle and push down.

I was having trouble with free-mounting too, then got it almost immediately after this tip – the key is the “jump” to get your second foot onto the pedals, and the tip is to imagine a good friend sun-bathing in front of you, and that your first foot is on top of your friend’s stomach, and you are going to jump over them with your second foot. So your first foot stays on their stomach, but with very little weight on it, while your second foot does the jumping.

Well, it worked for me. Good luck!