Free mounting

Im learning to freemount and im still getting the hang of it. I managed to Free mount a couple times but im still struggleing! Please reply if you have any tips for me.

Courtesy of Mikefule , copied a year or so ago :

I was self taught and never saw another unicyclist for 15 years, and
never got my freemounting to 100%. Then I met a few other unicyclists,
and learned developed this technique, which is just sooooo much easier
and more reliable:

Put the pedals with the near crank slightly below horizontal. I
normally have the left pedal in this position, which means that when I
mount, my right foot is slightly above horizontal, which is ideal for
that first power stroke.

Now put the seat ‘in position’ but without putting any substantial
amount of weight on it.

Hold the front of the seat. I hold it with my right hand.

Now, get the feel for this:

Push the unicycle very slightly forward, and the near pedal will rise.
As it rises, apply gentle pressure with your foot to stop it.

Do this lots of times. Get the timing right. Your foot should stop the
pedal just short of the horizontal position. You have only pushed the
wheel forward a few inches.

Now for the next stage…

Push the uni forwards, gently but firmly stop the pedal rising and in
one smooth movement, step up onto the uni. What should happen is that
in that moment when your foot stops the pedal rising, the wheel is
‘locked’ so there is no rollback and no ‘rollaway’ either.

Aim to get that other foot on that front pedal before you put all your
weight on the saddle.

Almost inevitably, there will be an element of rollback, but this will
be only an inch or so. But because of the positions of the pedals, the
front pedal is coming straight towards the sole of your foot, so it’s
easy to get your foot into position.

So, as your front foot hits the pedal, there will be a moment when
everything is fairly still, and you lower yourself into the saddle and
ride away.

It’s easier to do than describe. :thinking:

So:
Foot on near pedal, seat in crotch.
Gentle push.
Stop the rising pedal and smoothly step up onto the other pedal.
Stop that risng pedal, get balanced
Lower weight onto saddle.
Ride.:slight_smile:

I found backing the wheel against a curb helps alot (for some people at least). Then you can get used to the amount of pressure you need on the back pedal to keep the wheel from moving, without the wheel moving, and you are also a bit higher up, so you don’t feel like you have to leap as far to get up over the uni when you start. Same pedal position as above, just standing on a curb.

Best

Zia

I just learned to freemount. To me, the back up against a curb method didn’t seem to help.

The biggest thing I figured out was to bend at the waist and start with my head forward of the axle. Once I did that it just started happening.

Just keep practicing.

I’m still new at this, too. I found that nudging the uni forward and timing your jump as described in the first response works for me, but it differs a lot with different wheel sizes. It’s just a matter of finding the “sweet spot”. For the 20", I hardly push forward at all; since it isn’t much of a jump it’s more a matter of committing and rapidly getting the foot from the ground to the pedal without putting any pressure on the trailing pedal. With the 24", it takes more of a nudge and a bit more pressure on the trailing pedal. With the Coker, it’s a great big push forward, and it’ll tolerate a lot more pressure on the trailing pedal. Same technique, different application. Starting off with your foot on a curb or other raised surface might help initially. BTW, I’ve tried half-heartedly to learn the roll-back method but haven’t done it yet.

Mantra: back pedal – back pedal – lean forward – pedal forward.

This works every time once you have the timing right, don’t change stick to the same method and you’ll find that you’ll be free mounting every 20 attempts, 10 attempts, then 5 attempts.

It works rather easily. This is the technique; left foot on pedal, seat in front, be comfortable and relaxed. Push down on the left foot so the unicycle goes backwards, you’ll be lifted in the air, sitting on the seat. Step on to the right hand pedal and push back a little, this will assist in keeping your balance, lean forward, then push down on the left pedal and ride forward.

By making very tight turns and slow turns you’ll be practising all the essentials of free mounting.

Don’t forget to end on a good point; so you’ve managed a free mount, don’t jump off and try again, play it through your mind till you understand exactly what is happening. Variation is the key, if you’re learning to free mount, try riding with the saddle in front. This will strengthen you understanding of the forces that are applied to your unicycle.

Good luck, and practice, practice, practice, practice.

Hi,

Did any of that advice help you to freemount?

JJ

I learned to freemount on a 20" and i found leaning forward more than you think is the way to go. Also, dont be so concerned about having your feet planted. Today ill try and make a video clip of me freemounting 2 different ways.

pedal pressure

The one thing which helped me the most in a standard freemount is to make sure that I did not put significant pressure on the near pedal. In other words, make sure that you only put enough pressure on that pedal to keep the unicycle from rolling forward, and not so much that you cause the unicycle to roll backwards.

I learned the hard way that if you put pressure on the near pedal, you will cause the unicycle to move violently back towards you. This will result in:

1. Extremely nasty bites taken out of your shins.
  2. Knocking your feet out from under you, causing you to pitch forward at a high rate of speed, causing much wrist pain as you catch yourself.

I’m sure it was quite comical to view. If only I had somebody videotaping me.

Since I mount with my right foot on the near pedal, this means that when I mount I put virtually no pressure on the right pedal, effectively jumping off of my left foot and placing that same foot onto the forward pedal. While obeying the other advice about leaning forward, putting the seat in the right spot, etc. etc.

Now, when learning to do the rollback mount, you actually DO apply pressure to the close pedal, in order to get the unicycle to roll back underneath you. If you are trying to learn both of these mounts simultaneously, as I did … make sure you are wearing shin protection of some sort!

i dont get it

Could someone please explain to me how some people can do trials and mountain unicycling but they still can’t free mount? I learned to free mount before I could ride 3 feet…I thought that was the most basic thing there is to learn in unicycling, but apparently not. I guess my advice is to put the left pedal down at 5:00, and step onto it forcefully and confidently. you should be able to put all your weight on it without the uni slipping out from underneath you. Get your weight centered on top of the unicycle.

-Grant

Can you free mount now?

Let us have some feedback on what was your best method.

Thanks

JJ

========================================

A suicide mount is quicker :wink:

Nope. Getting the durned unicycle to hold still so you can jump takes time. Free mounting isn’t free!

So how about that video? Thx

Yeah, what happened to the two mount video?

JJ