First Weekend With a 36

Somebody mentioned tire pressure. I experimented a little starting low and moving up. I think it helps to learn to mount with lower pressure and work up as you get more comfortable. There’s my two cents.

Make sure you have the right peda/crank are on the right side and the left ones on the left.

I’m not a fan of chrome either. I have a 26 muni that I was thinking about painting. Don’t really care if it looks professional. Did you sand the chrome down before spray painting it? How well/poorly did the paint stick?

I know next to nothing about painting. I had some charcoal grey “high-heat” Rustoleum in the garage that was gathering dust. I took some painter’s tape and covered up the brake pads and the stickers, then sprayed away with no sanding or prep work. It probably won’t last long, but I still have the can of Rustoleum in my garage for any touch-ups that are needed.

As for mounting, I was able to get 8-10 successful mounts yesterday without any assistance. I’d say right now I am only about 25-30% successful on my attempts, but I’m sure that will improve over time.

It’s advisable to rub down the chrome with emery-cloth and use a self etching primer.

Have fun,
Joseph.

I experimented with lowering the tire pressure today. I normally have the tire at about 50psi. I rode 15 miles with 35psi.

I have to admit that it was more comfortable, however I think rolling resistance was increased.

Andre

I felt like the nightrider got a bit squirrely at low pressures. I normally ride 55 PSI and the way I could tell I had a puncture last week, was when I started moving all over the path. Looked down, and whadya know, half flat tire.

I’ve been running around 40psi, and that feels plenty stable to me. I weigh 155 pounds, though. For trail riding, I think 35-40psi is plenty for me. For road riding, I could see running 45-50 to get less resistance. I am definitely enjoying the 36. It’s a totally different riding experience.

Hey Clay, 35-40psi is still a whole lot of pressure for off road, you might want to try something closer to 20-25, esp at your weight.

When I rode a Nightrider I used 20psi, same with the Coker Non Skid, now riding the Todd tire now at ~18psi tubeless.