First Weekend With a 36

Should also add that I’ve stripped more allen bolts on my other unis than I can count. Maybe this setup will be a blessing in disguise.

I also bought a UDT Titan, It should arrive sometime this week. I also have been riding a 29, and hopefully, like you, the transtition won’t be too arduous.

I would imagine that going for a greater transition, such as from a 24 to a 36, would potentially be a little harder - am I right on this?

Andre

I don’t mean to brag (or derail this thread) but I don’t get what the fuss is around mounting a coker/36er. At JUST (local uni club) I had my first go on a 36er (UDC trainer/Nimbus titan) and all I had to do was drop the saddle down and mount up (took about three tries at first but after that I could ride just fine).

If you relax and have good technique, anyone can mount a coker.

Jacob -

My fear was that I would not relax, had bad technique and could not mount one. I was wrong. Also, I think some folks do really have issues with mounting the big wheel. The thing does just look kind of scary.

On a related note, I’ve already upgraded the pedals to some larger pinned platforms. That makes the big, smooth, stable ride of the 36 even more so. I am really enjoying the 36 experience.

Ed

I just received my UDC titan today. I put it together and went for a 6 mile ride. This is by far the most comfortable unicycle ride I have ever had. I took to it like a duck to water. I found it very easy to mount and ride. I suspect that the fact I have been riding 110mm cranks on my 29 for over a year had something to do with it. I have a set of 125s coming my way for the 36.

I had a KH T-bar on my 29, which I removed. I wasn’t comfortable enough with it, only able to keep both hands on the handles for a few revs at a time. Now with the 36 this evening and to my amazement, I was able to ride comfortably with both hands on the saddle bumper - no problem. I assume this is due mainly to the superior stability of the 36. Needless to say that the T-bar is going on the 36 in a hurry.

Best buy in a long time!

Andre

This is what my UDC Titan looks like now.

I took the frame and had it powder coated, also put in alloy saddle tube and cranks, brake, pedals, and KH T-Bar.

Andre

That is sharp, Andre. I’ve got the itch to pick up a Titan and this just about puts me over the top.

Nice!!! Its amazing how good a nice paint job and some handle bars can make a titan look.

That’s weird. I’ve been toying with getting my frames powdercoated as well, and the same exact color (orange is my favorite). I see you’ve also got the same brake that I do. :slight_smile: Do you mind if I ask what the cost for the powdercoating was?

Looks VERY sharp. Just needs a shadow handle. :smiley:

It cost me $60.00 CAD. I prefer the look of the T-bar vs the shadow handle, but to each his/her own.

Andre

Here’s another vote for orange. I have been toying with the idea of getting my Impulse powder coated and surprise…I want orange too. That looks very sharp. Congratualtions on a fine looking machine!

@gathan

I just got my Titan yesterday and I noticed that your brake is mounted on the rear. Mine came pre-assembled and it is mounted on the front side of the post. Which way is correct or does it really matter with a 36er?

Also, what kind of tire pressure do people normally run on their nightrider tires? I know it depends on Muni vs. Pavement, and the weight of the rider, but just looking for a general range to start with…

Where the brakes mount on a 36er is a matter of aesthetics, just as long as the brake pads themselves are the right way round.

As for tyre pressure a lot of people reccomend 30ish psi for mixed surface or a bit higher for road only but have a play and see what you like. The tyres can take 60psi but that would be a horribly bumpy ride

I mounted the brake behind the frame instinctively there because that is where the magnura brake is located on my 29er.I wouldn’t think that it is a cause of significant concern whether it is mounted on the front or the rear, although I could be wrong here.

I’ve been keeping my tire inflated to a pressure of around 50psi.I’m not sure what the optimum pressure is.I weigh 162lbs and mostly ride on road surface.

I ought to try lowering the pressure in the tire and see if it improves ride comfort. I would think that rolling resistance would be affected though.

Well, I just got back from riding the 36 for the first time. I had some trouble mounting, but I got close enough several times that it seems like I’ll probably get it within a week or so. The big wheel definitely takes some adjustment. My everyday rides are a 19" KH Trials and a 26" KH Muni, so this is a big step up. Once I got mounted, I did several loops around the parking lot with no issues. The ride is smooth and the speed is scary fast… I got mine with 140mm cranks. I wasn’t ready to try out the rim brake yet, but it seems like I’ll need it if I want to slow this beast down in a hurry. Corrections on the 36" take much more effort, but nothing I didn’t expect. This was my first ride, so I’m sure I’ll get more comfortable with it, but I’m still amazed that people actually ride GEARED 36er’s!

Anyway, I did a quick and crappy spray paint job on mine because anything looks better than chrome… I also transferred the KH freeride and T-bar from my 26" to the 36" for now. The 26" will get a Fusion Street saddle that I have out in my garage. I put the 36" next to my KH trials for impact…

Brake on the back, it’s designed to flex in a certain direction, at least that’s my theory :roll_eyes:

What’s wrong with chrome?

Even the picture on UDC shows the brake on the back. I guess I will swap it around, even though it appears to work fine on the front, too. Odd that it came like that, since UDC is normally good about quality control…

Chrome? To each his own… I don’t care too much for Gold paint either… :wink:

Have you checked to see whether the right crank is on the right side? It could be that the saddle and clamp are on backwards.

Yes, I checked the cranks and frame. The “crack” in the seat post where the clamp attaches/tightens is on the opposite side of the brake.