First unicycle riding movie!

haha, I thought you meant either a “switch 540 unispin” or a “switch 540 spin” (because I’d been asking if he could do a 540… with no reply).

Switch a 5 (stair) isn’t impressive to me, I did notice it in the vid tho. Anything I can do (which isn’t much), isn’t impressive to me :stuck_out_tongue: Switch UP a 5 would be good…

Would a switch 8 set be any good? Not like switch jumps are too tough, but I woudlnt’ mind starting to get some switch stuff here and there. And yes you have all seen the 8 set I would switch jump.

-Shaun Johanneson

Cheers Shaun, I really liked the video, find it weird people feel the need to insult you, whats with that.

Well, I really liked it, such an array of tricks can’t be shown by another rider. I don’t think you get anywhere near enough props for the tech grinding, people don’t seem to respect that for some reason even though there is no one else doing it to your extent.

Liked the set-side to it, I’m so happy you hit the double down the 6. That is so sweet, I’ve heard you’ve been trying it for a while. The music suited the vid and the bails were great haha. Love the flats ha.

One thing, with your backflips, you kinda keep one foot on for longer, does that make it easier to catch? Or is it just one of those style things, I know you find forward flips easier. I splay (is that a word?) my feet out.

xxxx

It is kinda how I learned it. I learned backflips from watching Brian Lundgren (inventor of the backflip) and he keeps his backfoot on the pedal. Well that’s not totally true, since in most cases, the foot will slightly come off, and lets be real, how much control would the foot really have when the pedaling is rotated downward and your foot’s above it. I don’t use it for the extra flip rotation that’s for sure lol, just alittle more control and knowledge where the front pedal will show up. This was highly used when I learned to backflip to blind grind. (the video is to come, advertisement)

Thanks for the comments too, I appreciate that the techgrinds are getting some spotlight, they’re some of the more difficult things I like to do.

-Shaun Johanneson

Just an idea: maybe not many people appreciate Shaun’s tech riding because not many people actually see it? I mean the bad youtube quality. All you see most of the time is some blur around the legs, usually, and that’s not totally impressive. I think only people who do a lot of street and flip tricks can actually understand what’s going on, because their eyes are trained and they know what to look for. I remember watching Shaun in Ill and thinking how much better it was than his normal videos, because I could actually see what’s happening. I really loved the last bit, Streetlanding. That was great. But youtube videos I usually don’t come back to.

So, maybe try posting stuff in HQ?

Switch flip a set, you can do it

When it came up I’m all, "Nine and a half minutes! :angry: That’s way too long for a newbi’s vid :angry: :angry: " Then after about 30 seconds I’m all "Holly CR*P! This guy has been only riding for a few months!? :astonished: :astonished: " I had to stop it and read a few posts. Funny trick Shaun:p

Your vids have always had incredible riding, but not very entertaining to watch IMO, too much repetion and too few camera angles. You’ve comepletely changed that w/ this vid :sunglasses: :smiley:

IMO YOUR BEST MADE VID YET!!

Keep it up Shaun! I like this new you :roll_eyes:

Missed deadline

Who’s the chick? Kyla? GF or F + G?
DO you ever Muni?

Kyla, its his girlfriend. No, he doesn’t muni. Yes, sometimes I talk for him.

KH.

Haha, that’s odd. I think it’s more “repetative” then his other vid’s. However, I didn’t really think of it as repetative, it’s all good to watch…

It’s not edited/filmed all that different is it?

But yeah it’s obvisously his best video yet, riding-wise.

Well, his flips video comes to mind. (I had no idea there was so many variations of flips :astonished: ) But that was somewhat the point. Would have been nice if there were more locations and camera angle though, it’d have been more entertaining.

All of Shaun’s other vids (I think I’ve seen them all), with just him in them have a more repettitive feel to me. Though the variety may come mostly from the editing, ie 3 tricks at local # 1, 2 at local #2, 4 at local #3, 2 at local #1 again, etc. But also I think there were many more camera angles in this vid. :sunglasses:

In filming though you really have to break it down to the bares here. This video I was lucky enough to have a filmer, I guess I had him enough times to make everyone thing the angles change. Because let’s get real, other than those shots everything was still the same. Now why? Why does all the angle have to be the same? My style is extremely tech, big twists I can do, but like to sway away from since they’re kinda easier to pull off, and less exciting. So I need the camera as close to my wheel as possible. If you guys (not all of you, true fans out there this doesn’t enclude you) aren’t complaining that you can’t see the trick cause the cams too far away (other movies), you are complaining that the movie has all the same angle (my movies). My newests vids have some of the most variaty in street skill and tricks and types of street in them (mannys, sets, ledges, rails, basically the four parts of street), I don’t see all of them in any other vid, however some of you still complain about how repetitive it is. Basically you can’t be pleased no matter what. So why are you watching videos? It seems to me you should stop wasting your time, go out and practice, and show us, what you want to see. Because right now, that’s exactly how i’m riding, i’m riding in the fashion I want to see, and I think i’m doing pretty good.

-Shaun Johanneson

p.s. This post applies to some of you. The guys that are cool with the style, I can’t thank you enough for your support. I, by no means, mean no negitivity to the riders the appreciate the style, and can actually see what’s going on. However the complainers, I’ve heard it all before, and have seen nothing from you. Kinda like all bark and no bite.

I don’t know why, but I think my favorite vid from you is your part of “A Good Movie”.

I know how what you are doing is revolutionizing what we call “street”, but I don’t think you have reached the true state of “flow” in your riding. I’m not saying you ever will, but I’m saying your not there yet.

Vid was awesome non-the-less, keep up the good work.

It’s really depressing to know that you think that no one has flow in this sport. Oh well, i can agree with that though. Maybe, I would flow a lot better if I made my tricks easier. Let’s face it, manny pad runs with no hops are probably the hardest thing to get clean, and when the standard is far above what we’ve ever seen, it’s hard to make it seem "flow"y. Of course the only standard is my own.

-Shaun Johanneson

p.s. I think what riders really want to see, is street riding taken back about 2 years in skill (simplifing tricks), and make the riding a bit faster.

I think luke has ton’s of flow, and there’s some others, too. You’re right though, the more technical street gets, the harder acheiving “flow” in your lines is gonna be.

And your “P.S.” statement, at least to me, holds true. I’d rather see flowy big street than a guy doing crankflip variations in an empty parking lot.

Just my $.02

That’s not what I said however. I said I could ride fast, flip up a curb, keep pedaling fast, then doubleflip a 3 set, all pedalling fast and some people would think that’s much cooler, than doubleflip up the curb to coast (slower paced), 180 lateflipping the 3 set. The ladder is much harder, while the former is first try.

-Shaun Johanneson

p.s. If you want to see easier stuff, don’t watch my video. Make your own.

JW, whens the hangout summer vid gunna be out?

I LOVE IT!!! This was your bestvid ever,extremly good clips whit moving camera.Keep this vid-style up man!
Even better then poweraid vid,that you shudd put up on youtube.

This is an old thread, but who cares… This is an amazing video that really has changed my perspective on unicycling. (even after watching defect 100 times) You have a very unique style when you ride and I really enjoy watching you nail your tricks. Thanks for the entertainment/inspiration.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I think that’s partly why I missed this, even though I watch pretty much everything here at least once, even the crappy vids.

Good thing it came back :sunglasses: