First "MUni" (XC?) Ride...

Kenda Nevegal 24x2.5 looks like a good option too. :stuck_out_tongue:

26"x3" feels so much better for XC than 24"x1.75", which is the combination i have right now. If i did more street riding i’d evetnually by a 26" or 29" street uni too (or maybe a Schlumpf huf for the 24"?)

Greetings

Dru

I went from a 24x2.6 to a 26x3 and the 26 is so much better.

Yeah, I’ve been convinced. I went into UDC and added all the stuff I wanted to upgrade into the cart. Saw the total amount of dough it’d cost, and it’s not worth it. 26 or 29, HERE I COME…when I can afford it…:o

The number of carts i filled with Muni and Muni-stuff on UDC and then never touched the check-out button is countless.
I ended up buying a used 26" Qu-Ax wheel with KH cranks, 26" Nimbus frame and Qu-Ax saddle.
Will add a break some time later when i do more than XC.

Greetings

Dru

I upgraded from an old schwinn 24" uni to a nimbus 26" muni with KH moments. I feel more ‘at home’ on the nimbus. The larger size seems to fit me more. My nimbus and I have bonded - we’ve been through a lot. :wink:

Outside all the talk of equipment…

Hang in there. I remember my very first off-road ride, not technical at all. It was just a gravel road but there was still some intimidation factor. I probably ended up walking 1/3 of the ride due to pure fatigue (the hills on this particular double-track are relentless). It also poured down rain the entire time. I had just gotten my new (to me) muni in the mail and I didn’t want to let a little rain stop me.

It took me a few months of riding on doubletrack before I got brave enough to do singletrack. Once I got brave enough the first month was rough. I was just out there embarrassing myself left and right and I would regularly apologize to bikers as they passed me in all directions.

It’s been about 5 months and I still embarrass myself quite a bit, but at least I’m starting to make muni look like something someone (not me) could do with some degree of proficiency. At least the UPD every 20 feet sections have become the easy sections and the “ha, yeah right, I’m walking this” sections have become the difficult but I’m going to try to ride it sections.

There is one huge con that I’ve found to muni. Everything else is boring by comparison, so on those rainy days when the trails are closed I have to muster a bit of effort to go ride the greenways around my home.

Don’t worry Jbtilly! I’m HOOKED! :smiley: From the riding I’ve done, I can tell now that MUni is going to be my focus. I’m not into tricks and stuff, I’m definitely liking the longer rides down in the woods the most.

Seems that the 26 has the popular vote here, and in all reality, that’s probably what I’m gonna get. I have some time to decide though while I scrape together the dough.

We’ve had a rain storm come in that’s melted almost all the snow so I’m gonna go down and ride that road some more tonight. Might be muddy. Might be tough. But I know I’m going to have fun! :smiley:

Thanks for all the good words guys! Much, much, much appreciated!

I’m sooo glad I got into unicycling.

Do like I do on my commute, urban Muni

I am nowhere near as good as Leo :frowning:

My god he moves fast! :astonished: Awesome!

Ha, “i’m hooked” where my first thougths after riding the 26" Muni while walking the dog around some lakes near our home. I love riding through the streets on my 20" and 24", but gliding over gravel, roots and dirt with the 26" x 3" is sooo much fun :smiley: :smiley:

Greetings

Dru

I like how much more scenic MUni is as well. I’m an avid outdoorsman and MUni just fits. Plus the added difficulty makes it more fun, I love the challenge. :smiley:

+1

MUni is actually what convinced me that it was worth the effort to learn unicycling. I have some nice trails and dirt roads in the neighbourhood - not hardcore MUni but I love to ride in the local forest all year round! :slight_smile:

Here is a picture of my 24" Nimbus II with a 2.5" Hookworm and 24" Nimbus MUni with a 3.0" Duro:

When comparing with your pictures, I am a little puzzled about by the top clearance of the Hookworm… :thinking:

Am I the only one who saw at the shoe laces and thought ‘faceplant’??

Cheers

Klaus, I don’t get it too… The Nimbus II on the right, still doesn’t seem as wide as your Muni on the left (Love the Orange btw!). But your frame definitely has more top clearance than mine does. Hmmm… :thinking: