faired uni

Re: Re: Re: faired uni

Yeah, but could you imagine riding a faired uni in a 22mph cross wind? I would be like riding with someone next to you constantly trying to push you over.

Re: Re: Re: Re: faired uni

Good point. On the coker it was like that already at times.

Joe

I haven’t ridden with a fairing, but I have ridden a 29er with a (decorative) disk wheel (in the Arcata-Ferndale Kinetic Sculpture Race) in significantly windy conditions. It’s manageable. The funny thing is that it usually wasn’t perceptible as a side force; when it was a quartering rear wind, like on the beach, it felt like I was totally being pushed along; I got some serious speed down the bach. In direct side winds or quartering headwinds, I just felt a little out of sync, like I had to keep slowing down to get the unicycle back under me.

I don’t see a fairing being particularly useful, but it would definitely be rideable.

Re: Re: faired uni

Blimps look like cool giant unicycles, but unfortunately most of the ones I’ve looked clostly at also have tiny little wheels on the tail fin. Boo.

What’s this non-paced and paced cycling deal?

Basically, paced means that something is blocking the virtual wind that you have when you move. Think of a car that has your fairing attached to it instead of you - you don’t have to deal with wind resistance. It’s drafting on steroids. If you’re going 150 MPH then you would still have 0 headwind.

Unpaced is DIY, if you’re going 20 MPH then You’ll have a 20 MPH headwind - assumeing there’s no wind when you’re not moving.