Erlend Loe has written a book about his first year of unicycling

Einrad und unicycle? That’s pretty funny, the Norwegian word is literally a mix between the two.
Maybe I need to learn Norwegian now.

Book presentation of a niche sport in a niche language.
That`s what I love about unicycling.

2 Likes

That sounds nicely written!
If it wasn’t too demanding and time consuming for me to read it in norwegian, i’d instantly buy it. So I’m waiting for the translation.

What i also really like is one of the first pages stating “Livet uten stottehjul” as well as the next page (7) about the reducing of wheels. The text of the video is on page 9. For those able to read a little bit of norwegian, zou can have a look into the book here: https://issuu.com/cappelendamm/docs/forhandle-med-virkeligheten-erlend-loe?e=0/81521935

The publisher has some information in english:

OVERVIEW

Overview Forhandle med virkeligheten
“At first, I travelled on four wheels. Then three. Then, for a long time, two. Now: one.

A reduction is under way.

In the end, in some years’ time – nobody knows how many – I’ll have no wheels. And will return to the earth I’ve loved cycling on.

I never would have believed I could do it, but now I fly low across the landscape. My eyes are 220cm above the earth and the trees whizz by. The path beneath me is soft, everything is soft, even if, now and then, it is also stony and uneven. Sometimes it is wet and slippery. Regardless, I must be fully in control, from second to second. An elevation there, a stone, a root, a puddle that may be deeper than it appears to me. I could fall at any moment. But I don’t fall. Because I can fly. But now and then I do fall all the same. Or jump off to avoid falling.”

For much of his life, Erlend Loe has cycled. A year ago, he decided to try out a unicycle and was instantly converted.

What persuades an almost two-metre tall fifty-year-old who claims not to like standing out from the crowd to cycle through the city on a unicycle? What is so attractive about that? There must be more practical means of transport?

With enthusiasm and sharp observational skill, Erlend Loe takes us on a unicycle odyssey over the course of a year – full of free association and playfulness, but always in balance, always leaning forward, always conducting negotiations with reality. And by negotiating with reality, he puts it into words in new and unexpected ways.

A riveting personal essay in the vein of On Being John McEnroe and Murakami’s What I Talk about When I Talk about Running.

AUTHOR
Author Erlend Loe
Erlend Loe was born in 1969 in Trondheim, Norway. He studied folklore, film studies, and literature before becoming one of the most beloved and popular authors in Norway. He made his debut with the novel Captured by the Woman (Tatt av kvinnen) in 1993, a novel he received raving reviews for. In 1996 came Naiv. Super, his big break through in Norway as well as abroad, and has been called the novel of his generation. His novel Doppler, which came out in 2004, has been critically acclaimed for it´s depiction of the modern man, and The Guardian named it Book of the year. He is a productive author, and publishes books both for adults and children. His books about Kurt have been a huge success, and has also been turned into an animated film.
Erlend Loes books have been published in thirty-nine countries so far.

He lives in Oslo with his wife and three sons, and enjoy biking.

Awards:

Ministry of Cultural Affairs Prize for The Big Red Dog (Den store røde hunden), children’s picture book, 1996. Illustrated by Kim Hiorthøy.
The Cappelen Award 1997
The Critics’ Prize for Kurt Quo Vadis?, illustrated children’s novel, 1998 children’s book.
The Booksellers’ Prize 1999 for L (L).
The Aschehoug Prize 2003
The French Prix Européen des Jeunes Lecteurs 2006 for Naïve.Super. (Naiv.Super).
The French Tam-tam Prize for The Fish (Fisken) 2006, children’s book.
De Grote Jongerenliteratuur Prijs (The Netherlands) 2010 for Muleum.

5 Likes

Also for people watching the short video that @fetzenschorsch linked above, this part is a direct translation of the words he is speaking. So you can read this to yourself as you watch that video. :wink:

2 Likes

The phrasing of this last bit is so “on brand” Erlend it almost hurts! :rofl:

2 Likes

Everyone knows that unicycling is a fountain of youth, but nevertheless guys 50+ shouldn`t wear net shirts. :rofl:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGpgwc6pScx/

1 Like

I asked for an update on the translation. I could have done it privately but I did it publicly to put the pressure on. :thinking:

https://twitter.com/erlendloe/status/1364253863767908353

EDIT: Context on that last point:

2 Likes

I decided to try and make this happen by tagging Pete (Buttigieg).

I mean he is now the current US Secretary of Transportation, so this is our best chance to make this happen. Get ready my American friends, it’s our time now! :rofl:

P.S. If Pete sees and “likes” this, it will be amazing!

5 Likes

Hi ruari, any progress of the english translation by Erlend?

I got the book for Christmas 2021. I read it once on Christmas Eve, once on the following Christmas day, and I´ve read it twice more since. The book was so nice and Erlend Loe-esque. I hope this can be kept in an English (and German?) translation for the joy of more readers.

Without the book, I´m not sure if I would have learned unicycling.

4 Likes

Same goes for me. Now I have 3 unicycles in the garage and am constantly trying to improve my skills. Definitively hooked.

3 Likes

I’ve heard some rumors through the grapevine. The book is being translated into English bit by bit by the author himself. It will probably take a while as the man is very busy.

I’ll put out a rumor myself: The book will eventually be available in French, Danish and Swedish.

4 Likes

My wife bought me the book, but I haven’t gotten around to reading it. But soon, very soon. I’m looking forward to it. Then I’ll go before the class and give my book report.

5 Likes

It doesn’t seem to have been translated yet like some of his other books have…

(edit) I see the note about the author doing the translation - nice!