Electric (self balancing) unicycles

If there were a way to integrate this balancing tech with a freewheeling hub, that would make a formidable uni hybrid that would rival the regular uni without the mastering challenge (and strain on the brake) of regular freewheel uni :stuck_out_tongue:

Perhaps a flywheel connected to the wheel somehow so that when pedaling it gets moving really fast and then you stop pedaling to coast and the wheel keeps it going. This flywheel could act as a gyroscope and stabilize the system. It would loose some efficiency due to friction but could be overall more efficient than non-coasting unis if the coasting is made to be somewhat closer to a bike stability wise.

I just realized “why” everyone(non-riders) keeps abusing “our term unicycle” when they say electric Unicycle!!!

As we all know the common perception among non-riders/quitters is this.
Unicycle riding is a “freak ability/talent” that only “unique” and “special” people can do.
(yes, I just included wannabe unicyclists who quit and never learned…they have an axe to grind)

So, high-jacking that term “unicycle” is the closest they will “ever get” to becoming “one of us”.

I realize this, and I take pity on them.
So, go ahead non-riders and call yourself an E-unicyclist.
Go ahead mfg’rs of this crap and make money on our name.

Just know this.
You’ll never truly be one of us. Special and unique.

1 Like

If you’re being sincere then I would say that the reason an electric unicycle is called a unicycle is because it has one wheel :slight_smile:

If you’re not being sincere then I would say be careful lest you fall victim to Poe’s Law :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Then it should be called a uniwheel. :wink:

1 Like

Oh, you :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

How many of us had people first thought we were riding electric unicycles when we, in a conversation, said we were riding unicycles?

:point_up_2:

I think most people here will agree (or not care) that an Electric unicycle is not really a unicycle, so I thought it would be more interesting to see if I could find out what ‘they’ (the EUC riders) think of this. The first forum I found was https://forum.electricunicycle.org/, and it turns out that they have the same problem. They are looking for an alternative term so people will get that ‘they’ don’t have pedals. This thread is an example.

3 Likes

I have had this happen before as well as people thinking that I rode a tricycle or a segway. Reminds me of when I was skiing and saw a porcupine climbing a tree someone said “Hey look, a beaver!”.

Electric unicycles are fun too!

Heh, electric unicycles are actually what got me into “acoustic” unicycles in a roundabout way. I started getting interested in EUCs, but a decent one is pretty expensive. Then it got me thinking that an acoustic unicycle could be fun and also a decent “last mile” vehicle for public transit, since it’d be a bit easier to wrangle than a bicycle.

I learned to unicycle last fall, and this Spring ended up getting a good deal on an EUC (inmotion v11). I spend more time on my unicycle (ok, unicycleS), but the EUC is a nice option for getting somewhere without getting too sweaty, or just having a fun time outside when it’s too hot, or I’m too tired or saddle-sore to unicycle.

I agree the naming isn’t great, particularly since you don’t really “Cycle” on an EUC, but at this point I think we’re stuck with it.

1 Like

But is it easy enough just to hop off once the wheel blocks, or because gravity glues you to the flaps you stand on, are face plants imminent? Or maybe broken wrists if you try to land on your hands instead.
Im certain in the future when my kids are older, I will just buy one. Got to try it at least once in my life.

Hey “look” no motor on that unicycle.
Why is he moving his feet?

EUC’s are great, but I’ve sold mine. It wasn’t powerfull enough up hill, and insurance has become mandatory for all small electric vehicles in Norway as of this year, so I didn’t want to keep it.

1 Like

Correction: It wasn’t as powerful as you on an “acoustic” unicycle up a hill.

1 Like

Maybe consider the King Song S22?

2 Likes

With cool names like Veteran Sherman and King Kong, i might buy an EDM.
Nahh…just get a dirt bike.

…slam

…yes, I know it’s E yuch…EDM sounds cooler plus it means Electric Daisy Music festival!