double quick release seat post clamp?

I agree. $40 seems like about the max I would pay for a QR clamp if I knew it was a good product.

Here is their new design
http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG70

The old design

I have a Salsa I got it a few years ago for I think $32 US. To keep the post from twisting I had to clamp it down REALLY tight, so tight I can’t close it w/ my bare hand. I had to hammer it shut w/ my wrist brace. And when loose I couldn’t adjust the height of my seat w/o a wrench anyways, so I went back to my stock Torker DX double clamp which I only need to get moderately tight.

I would expect the price to be not much more than a Salsa or Hope. Their prices at different stores seems to vary between $28 and $32 (the newer Hope’s MSRP is $38 according to this site).

A clamp that wraps around itself a bit like this one would keep it from getting snaged (I can’t find the brand)

saskatchewanian: that is interesting that they are producing a double clamp both on the frame. That would be directly what we are proposing to produce. Do you have a link to a picture that show it?

skilewis74: The link going to a single quick release, not a double one. Do you have a link to their double quick release?

The seatpost clamp with the wrapped lever is made by Mr Control in Taiwan (not one of their better ones). We know this one and I agree with you, it is essential to have this kind of lever. The design we have worked on has this kind of lever, one that wraps tightly to the body.

Roger

I thought we were talking about the regular quick release. I didn’t know that anyone actually made a double quick release.

This is what I as talking about

If anyone has a link to a double quick release please post it up! I did a quick google search for double quick release clamps and came up empty.

Sorry, I should have explained better and possibly I was miss-understanding as well.

What we have planned is a quick release that has 2 levers one above each other. So that it can apply a higher force on the frame.

Salsa did produce a really nice looking double clamp one, but it did have the problem that it was clamping on the seatpost with the top clamp. It was I think the inspiration for us to start looking at this. I will check with the others and see if they mind me posting up images of our design so it explains more.

Roger

Cool, Like I said I had no idea Salsa (or anyone else) ever made a double QR seat post clamp.

Quick question, are both QR levers going to be pointing the same way or on opposite sides? I would thing that it would be easier to tighten one at a time if they were on opposite sides.

I guess another question is: What’s wrong with clamping to the seatpost and the seat-tube? Never tried a clamp that clamped on both but I know that some (but not many) clamps do.

Awesome! This is exactly what I was asking for when I originally started this post. Are there any estimates on the release date?

saskatchewanian:
The prototype we have has both in the same direction… but we can have it either way and from testing it is definately better both on one side only so you can activate them both with one hand if you want.

Clamping the seatpost and frame together means that in practice the force applied to the frame is reduced… so the seat rotates easily. It is exactly what we don’t want.

Ereksonj:
We need to assertain both the demand and find a better manufacturer. The earliest it would be produced would be April next year.

Roger

I think the double clamp on the frame would help better w/ twisting than half on the frame and half on the post.

+1 on the different directions of the levers.

I think if you had the levers going the same way it would be hard to aply them one at a time, considering the small space available, so you’d have to do them togeter and have them at about the same tension. If the levers were on oposite sides of the frame like:
.O.
l…l
when closed, you could shut them one at a time and one tighter than the other.

I also have to tighten the bolts a 2-3 times for each adjustment. On my Salsa I’d just get the bolt really tight then use the lever. Since if I wanted to change the hight I’d have to loosen the bolt, adjust, retighten, and then clamp the lever. I’ve broken one bolt and striped another on the QR in the ~ 3 months I used it before giving up.

the salsa i had on my MUni worked better than the stock dx clamp

If I were to get a double QR clamp, it would only be for trials/street/flat. Which means that the lever would need to be carefully designed so that it would be unlikely to snag on clothing. Otherwise I wouldn’t even consider purchasing it.

Double bolt quickrelease clamp has arrived

Guess what has just arrived…

Nimbus have brought out it’s new double bolt quickrelease seatpost clamp. This will come as standard on the New Oracle frames, but will be available to buy separately as well.

It is a really nice product. :slight_smile:

Roger

Dam…3 days after I bought a new clamp :frowning: :frowning:

Roger, which diameters ?

They are currently available only for the aluminium frames so will fit the Oracle, Impact and KH… also the QX, but have not checked that.

Roger

oh… except for my sample that has been tested is for steel 25.4 frames. :slight_smile:

Seriously, you guys only ordered double QR clamps to fit the aluminum frames?

Well there goes my purchase plan for two clamps!

I need them to fit the Nimbus steel frames (Oregon and Impulse), any idea if and when those would be available?

If you’re not using your prototype…

Yes we are planning to have them, it was really tight to catch this container. We just didn’t have time to produce the other size. It may not be until June when the other size is available.

Roger

Do they weigh any more than the old nimbus double clamps?

Would it fit my nimbus two?