Does anyone have a review of the Road Relief Saddle?

I know this is a seat thread, but Scott or Dave could you post a pic of the new Magura adapter for the Large Marge rims?

Thanks to those who have tried to help explain my products in my absence.
Some photos of a few of my products are at http://www.wallisdesign.com/HANDLEpics.html

First, the V-Grip:

It is of course based on my DeathGrip handle design, which was derived by finding the most ergonomic angle for pulling hard on the handle for climbing or hopping. The second grip of the V-Grip uses this same angle for the other hand and is designed for distance riding. Try this test: Right now, put you hands down against the seat of your desk chair in a parallel grip position, and do a pulling motion. Now rotate and stack your hands in the position of the grips on the V-Grip handle and do the same pulling motion. For many, hopefully most people, the rotated position is more comfortable and more powerful. I try to put very little importance on symmetry when I design things, because it often causes unnecessary compromise.
The V-Grip uses a 6061-T6 aluminum shank inserted and bonded into the DeathGrip handle. The tubular aluminum grip portion is retained with a set screw and it’s bore is off-center which allows it to be rotated, providing a little adjustability. The grip tube can also be replaced if damaged, and you can have more than one type of grip. I have found that putting on a stubby grip is great for off-road Cokering. The V-Grip is extremely light compared to other dual-grip handles. I will post weights and construction photos on my website when I can.

Cushions:
There is confusion about my seat cushions because of the unique nature of their construction. I will give a more detailed description at another time, but they are air-adjustable, yet have the stability of a foam cushion. The molded shape with a relief slot provides support where it is desirable, and pressure relief on nerve and circulation sensitive areas.

Shape control is further enhanced by the Road Relief cover, as Dave mentioned. It is tightly fitted and retained with a stainless steel bead wire. The cover design has been tweaked constantly since Nathan and Bronson started using the first RR saddles. I now use a slightly thicker leather and wet mold it to get the best fit over a longer life.

I also use closed-cell foam wedges to adjust the curvature of the saddles. For muni I generally build with a higher nose than for a road saddle so there is less tendency for it to slip out the back when riding slightly elevated and not holding the handle.

At this time I build each complete saddle specifically for the customer. It is tedious and time consuming, and expensive for me, but I have kept doing it because the field testing and feedback I get is important for the continued improvements I make as I move closer to “production”.

At this time the air-adjustable cushions are the biggest holdup. I am building more equipment to speed the production, but it is a slow process. All of the other individual components are more available and are not backlogged as much as the complete saddles are at this time.

Thanks for the comments, questions, suggestions and feedback from all.

Scott

Uniskater, I will post pics of the LM adapters in a separate thread.

Excellent, thanks Scott :slight_smile:

Yeah, thanks a lot Scott as well as others who have posted their comments and explanations.

Now after i recover from the purchase of my new Airfoil Wheel, I can try to justify one of these wonderful looking seats. Man Cokers get expensive.

Cokers are devious. They say “hey, look at me I’m fun and heck I cost less then a mid grade trials uni.” Then you make your first and irreversable mistake, you ride it. There’s no turning back now. You begin with endless experimental saddle configurations, $20 here $50 there. And we must have handlebars, cha ching. A trip computer is a no brainer. Of course brakes become necessary, couple hundred more dollars. Then well the darn brakes are worthless because the cheap stock rim won’t stay true. Then comes the inevitable Airfoil wheel. And I want one of those new road tread ties too. Well hell your in this deep what’s another $300 (almost the cost of the whole uni). The Scott has to come along with this beautiful seat, Damn you Scott!!! It’s just a matter of time till I’ll be the proud owner of a ROAD RELIEF saddle, with V grip I suppose. Alas the plight of a Cokeur.

Pre Airfoil Coker:

Nice looking setup! It does look like the original frame…did you paint it? If so, what brand of paint (spray i assume?) did you use,and how did you prepareit and did you use a primer? Thanks!

Actually I had Darren weld the brake mounts on and powdercoat it when I got it.

Are those 150mm cranks? I just put 125’s on mine; I figured since most of my riding will be on a fairly flat bike path, I could pick up a little speed. But then again, stopping will be harder since I don’t have brakes yet! :astonished:

Even the most disciplined souls cannot resist the allure of a Road Relief and V-Grip…:slight_smile:

(sorry Nathan, I couldn’t resist:o )

Monkseat.jpg

Too true! :slight_smile:

(I love that photo! )