Disc brake squeal/vibration

Ok, I’ll try:

That’s great, thanks a lot, Eric.

That’s a really cool device. I was thinking about a disc brake based on what I know from bikes, and I forgot about the Dbrake. I’m sure that is the reason the vibrations are so bad on the uni It probably just hums on that boom mount. The brace up to the maggie mount is a great solution.

I have had the Oracle 36 for a year and a half. When applying the brakes on a downhill the whole uni resonates. I was told by Josh from UDC that it just needed breaking in, but it still does it after a year and a half.

Yup, and some need more work than others, it can be a variety of issues from pad design to rotor design, even harmonics.

After having tried all the easy fixes, now it’s time to try changing one thing at a time, in the order of least cost:

Pads
Rotor
Caliper

Organic pads do seem to help, but semi-metallic work the best when hot, so if you’re having glazing you might want to see if there is an all metal pad.

My favorite cheap rotor is the Avid that comes stock with BB7 brakes.
My favorite expensive rotor is the Hope Floater

In terms of calipers, the one you have is the cheapest you can get, I gave mine away for the same reasons you are describing. A good Shimano caliper like the M575 or similar is all you need.

Yes it does a bit, but for sure the little D part holding the brake must have problem resisting the forces it takes when you brake. The reinforcement part seems to be the right answer.

Thanks a million for your advice Nurse Ben. It helps a lot. Makes sense to follow these steps in that order untill I get a happy combo. When I was trawling the forum for a solution to this problem I’ve noticed you have tried many brakes in the past so I know how valuable is your advice on this matter :slight_smile:

Also note this solution if you don’t have a KH frame.

I gave Hugo’s method a try. It works pretty well - still some high pitched squeaking, but most of the vibration is gone. Made a previously unusable brake (due to vibration) useful again. Worth doing for sure.

Hi there

I forgot to update my brake/pad situation (have been away from the forum for a few months!). For all of you that were also having problems with the same brake/pad combo as mine: as advised on this forum I kept the original calliper and rotor but changed the braking pad (Clarks Organic Disc Brake Pad for Tektro Volans/Auriga Twin/Auriga Sub/Auriga E-Sub Bikes).

Glad to say that the brake has been working fine since I fitted this organic pad quite a few months ago. I might get the odd hum here and there but, thankfully, no vibrations. Very smooth breaking. So I’m really happy with it. It works way much better than the original pad that came with the Oracle 36 unicycle (the tektro) and the other pad I tried afterwards (jagwire). Another plus: the clarks Organic pad is way cheaper than the Tektro or the jagwire.

Where I live is very hilly and as far as I can tell this pad works well (no problems with breaking in very steep hills).

Hope this helps to someone and thanks again to all of you that helped me along the way :slight_smile: