2015 KHU lineup is here...

The “someone” if Marco, the ?owner? of mad4one :wink:

Bingo :smiley:

I’m already having some doubts on the 26+ format.
If this knard is already hard to get, and it’s the only one… how would it be in a couple of years?
It sounds so bloody interesting for muni, but still…
27.5+ has already 2/3 tyres, and has gained the attention of big companies, but it’s not so interesting imho.
I’m loving my 24, but a 26 would have been a nice addition.

It’s impossible to predict the future but talking to Surly the demand for their 26+ format is currently strong and they are optimistic to produce for the forseeable future.

The Knard is hard to get right now because it is completely new.

The 2015 KH26 is one of the first cycles (including bikes) on the market with this tire - all the testing was done with Knard prototypes.

In fact, it is so new that I had to ship the KH26 without tires, for Europe, because the tires were slightly delayed, and some dealers currently have KH26 unis without tires. That is why they are not “available”. Dealers have them, but just no tire.
Qu-Ax expects to get their 26x3" Knard shipment in next week at which time that should be rectified.

Nice to hear from Marco, that’s great.

To clarify - the Spirit hub is not “like the old one but chromed”. The “old” (meaning blue CrMo KH hub with KH cutouts in the flanges that pre-dated the Moment hub with polished flanges) was made traditionally - e.g. disc-shaped, stamped flanges welded to an axle.
In contrast the Spirit hub is entirely one-piece-forged, no welds.
It is first forged (e.g. hammered into existence with forge tooling), and then finished via CNC.

The forged frame crown saves one weld on the KH20, and 2 welds on the other frames. These were the welds receiving the most stress, and forging enabled the frame to have a smoother radius of curvature through this join.

In terms of frame cost, once you add the cleaning/finishing of the forged part, which involves some CNC, plus the rest of the frame building, it ends up being slightly more expensive than before.

I think i’ll take the risk and buy it!
Talking about b*ke world, it’s looking like tyres and rim width are growing up anyway, and it seems like 26’ is not going to really die.
The alternative was to get a 29’ frame and fit a 27,5+, but i think it could be just over the right size for a short guy wanting to do hard-ish muni.
At the end of the month i’ll have my first muni trip, and i’ll come back with more experience and more confusion for sure :roll_eyes:
Then, if the kh26 will be on stock in europe, i’ll pull the trigger!!

How is the brake caliper attached? Does this use a D-Brake?

My Oracle has a D-Brake that has developed an awful vibration. I’m thinking it’s the D-Brake that’s the problem. Anyone have vibration problems with their KH?

KH frames mount the calliper on the frame itself like you would see on a bike. Unfortunately this means that they only really support external disc rotors.

My KH36 came with the wrong brake mount adapter. Post-/post-mount 160/180mm instead of IS-/post-mount 160/180mm.

Easy enough to rectify and it’s a really cheap part. But I didn’t get it in a local bicycle shop so I had to wait a couple of days for shipping. That was frustrating, with a new uni you want to put on the road.

Also the pins of the Gusset HL Pinhead pedals hurt my feet after a couple of km. I ride 5.10 Freeride, which means lots of feeling. Also you need to drill holes into them to put reflectors on. As soon as my hand has healed I’ll switch to the trusted Odyssey Twisted PCs, which work really well with the 5.10 shoes.

I’ve finally got all the bells and whistles together to meet German road regulations for bicycles (apart from a mud guard)!

German bicycles ‘require’ mudguards? :astonished: What other requirements do they have?

I think the mud guard is obligatory, but I’ve never seen it enforced.

What you also need:

• Two brakes
  • A white front reflector
  • A white torch, meeting some regulations, facing forward
  • A red reflector in the back no more than 600 and no less than 250mm above ground
  • A red reflector in the back marked with a Z (a mark of standard conformance, I think)
  • A red torch, meeting some regulations, facing backwards
  • Two yellow cat-eyes per wheel, or a white reflective circle visible from both sides. The white reflective circle may be painted on the tire, but can also be achieved with those reflector sticks, assuming there is one on EVERY spoke
  • Orange reflectors front and back of every pedal

That’s not going to be easy with a unicycle… :smiley:

Seriously, are unicycles considered as bikes in Germany?

In France, and in the UK too, and in many other countries, our unis are considered like pedestrians.

On the KH, it’s welded on the frame, so no vibration.
I remember someone on the forum fixing the vibration problem on his D-Brake by installing a thin metal bar running from the caliper to the Magura mount.

Having said that, KH can vibrate sometimes too. If the caliper is not adjusted properly (the pads must be at equal distance from the disc when not braking, and be parallel to it), you might get some vibration. Also, some pads vibrate more than others, depending on the material they’re made from.

Not true about the UK! We are considered bicycles and have to follow all the regulations bikes do (including being on the road). Thankfully we don’t have the ‘two brakes’ rule - it’s one brake per wheel, with allowances made for direct drive wheels and wheels that are unable to turn independently of each other - if you built a 4-wheeler where all 4 wheels are powered by the same set of pedals (and fixed, not freewheeling) you wouldn’t need a brake at all (So an unbraked uni is fine) :smiley:

Those german ones are fairly strict - ours aren’t much different though. We are ‘required’ to have a front white light, red rear light and red rear reflector, and orange pedal reflectors - though only after sunset (obviously you’re not going to take it all off then clip it on as soon as the sun goes down though…). Weirdly a white front reflector isn’t required, only ‘recommended’ - same goes for wheel reflectors/lights.

I’ve spent my whole life in an area where bicycles are allowed to be on both the sidewalk and on the road, and encouraged to do either. And all human-powered vehicles are immediately classified as bicycles, which in turn become pedestrians as opposed to vehicles once they go on the sidewalk. We also aren’t required to stop at stop signs and have one of the lowest cyclist fatality rates in the country.

This makes me realize I shouldn’t take it for granted.

My bad, I thought both countries had the same description: “A bicycle is a human powered vehicle with at least two wheels”.

To follow on the brake question from Vertigo, here are two threads that talk about squeaks and squeals and vibrations:
Here and here.

Thanks for the info. I really should sort out my brake problem but I’d much rather spend that time riding.

Just day dreaming about my next unicycle and thinking it should be a KH so I can experience one of those.

Two independent braking systems, pedals count. So non-freewheeling systems like unicycles or fixies only need one additional brake.

They are in the same category as skateboards, kick boards or skates. I.e. they have to use cycling lanes when present, the sidewalk otherwise.

Unless they conform to the road regulations for bicycles. Than they also get the option to use the road, if no cycle path is available. They don’t loose their pedestrian precinct privileges, though. So where a bicyclist has to dismount and push, a unicyclist can stay on. :smiley:

No, you need no mud guard. But all the other things from the list plus a bell.

I wonder where I got that idea from. And how I forgot the bell.