Derby-Notts Hockey 5th October 8.00pm

Just a quick reminder about the hockey sessions that have been booked. I Have booked two sessions on the floodlit 5-a-side pitch at Darley Fields in Chester Green Derby. The sessions are booked for 8.00-9.00pm on Tuesday 5th October and Tuesday 12th October so turn up at 7.45ish so we’re ready to go as soon as the court is free.
IF you’ve got your own stick bring - we’ve probably got 8 or so sticks at the club but the more the merrier and if you can make sure that er is some form of end protector on the end of the stick to minimise the chance of injury. And if theres a chance that your one wheeled steed can be sporting plastic pedals that would also be a good thing

Directions
From Nottingham:
Head to Derby on the A52 when you reach the pentagon island take the 3rd exit the A61 (sir Frank Whittle Way) when you reach the small traffic island next to the Alfa Romeo garage turn left and then immeadiately left again. Follow the road over the bridge and to another small traffic island. Follow this road straight to the end and the pitch is on the right at the bottom of the road.

Map:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=435350&Y=337650&A=Y&Z=1

So anybody is welcome and there’ll be a possibility of a cheeky half afterwards - If you can let me know who might attend with contact details [roland(at)suttonuk(dot)com] then I mail out any further information. and a mobile number so that you can ring if you get lost.
Hope to see you all there

Cheers

Roland

Re: Derby-Notts Hockey 5th October 8.00pm

i’m either being stupid or square (and still can’t decide which is worse), but i have no idea what a ‘cheeky half’ is?
my first thought was that it was 15 minutes of unihoki played in the nude
:stuck_out_tongue:
but since i doubt that, please explain?

Nothing as exciting as naked hockey - just a quick social pint (or half pint) in the pub after play has ceased - sorry to dissappoint :slight_smile: Although with a bit of photoshop I’m sure the pictures could be doctored-If you travel from South Africa I’m sure it can be arranged

quite allright
that did make most sense in context, i’ve just never heard the expression before
is it a common one?

i did actually travel to your island
recently
i got to play with the Lunis and had so much fun, i had to start something over here when i got back
i’m giving it a couple of months to settle down and confirm a core of players who want to take it (as) seriously (as one should;) ) and then i’m approaching the South African Olympic Committee about funding
they can only say ‘no’
:slight_smile:
if we get enough of that (funding, not 'no’s), do get your teams together as an international tour strikes me as a splendid way to spend someone else’s money
:sunglasses:

A cheeky half is a reasonably common expression (it’s just that I can’t ever remember a time where we managed to limit ourselves to a half, be it cheeky or not).
Roland - this bloke seems keen, so how about organising the next game in South Africa then? I realise the logistics might be a bit more difficult, but if you can arrange a similar cost as for the games next week, I’m sure you’ll be able to get a few takers.

Back in the real world though, I’m looking forward to the session next week - will be nice to have a ‘proper’ game (especially if Roger rides his two wheeler!).

One thing though - referees. When we’ve played at the club, we’ve always ref’d ourselves (as we can normally only manage a two a side game). Can any of the more regular hockey players offer any recommendations on whether you really need a ref during a bigger game? I’m sure that we’ll all be sporting enough to not take advantage of the situation whether we have one or not, but I wondered whether you had a better game with a ref or not. Any advice?

Cheers,
Gary

At lunis, we never bothered with a ref, even for quite big games. If we’ve only got an hour of playing, then being a ref means you’ll miss a big chunk of the game.

I should be there, probably by bus, as the derby road from Nottingham and the buses on it go past my work and it’ll be well easy, it’ll also mean I get to see some of sunny Derby by riding through it on my 24" holding a hockey stick.

Can anyone recommend of a place nearish it / on that end of the city centre to grab some food on the way as otherwise I’ll be there early and hungry? I’m thinking takeaway / sandwich shop end of the market.

If you’re making an email list, my email is news@joemarshall.org.uk and my mobile is 07905 696427
(they’re both on the web/usenet anyway, so I’m not fussed about spam).

I’d be up for a cheeky pint although not too many or else I’ll miss the last bus/train home to Beeston.

Joe

Re: Derby-Notts Hockey 5th October 8.00pm

Gary.Kelsall wrote:

> Back in the real world though, I’m looking forward to the session next
> week - will be nice to have a ‘proper’ game (especially if Roger rides
> his two wheeler!).

Har har. Maybe when I can free mount and idle.

> One thing though - referees. When we’ve played at the club, we’ve always
> ref’d ourselves (as we can normally only manage a two a side game). Can
> any of the more regular hockey players offer any recommendations on
> whether you really need a ref during a bigger game? I’m sure that we’ll
> all be sporting enough to not take advantage of the situation whether we
> have one or not, but I wondered whether you had a better game with a ref
> or not. Any advice?

I’m sure we’ll be sporting as well. I would also say that there is a
reasonable chance that there will be an odd number of us, so we could
take it turns to referee. I for one would be glad of a rest after a few
games :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Roger

Nottingham One Day Juggling Convention
5th March 2005 - 12pm-Late

Can’t really recommend anywhere for food in centre, there are some chip chops opposite the bus station but cannot say whether they are any good or not.
Have checked the weather and its looking like it should be dry by Tuesday which is a good thing - I shall make the necessary offerings to the weather gods just to be sure. So get those unicycles prepared and will see you all tomorrow

Cheers

Roland

Hope the weather is good to you (I’ve seen contradictory weather reports, nothing strange about that) but I can’t make it this time unfortunately, hopefully next time. I must say I’ve not played unihockey outside before.

Gary

Shame you can’t make it-the more the merrier - you going to be available next week? The BBC claims glorious sunshine on Tuesday although I’m hoping for pitch darkness to get maximum value for moeny for the floodlights - it’s a whole £1.30 on top of the price of the pitch - the only snag might be when we find that its a couple of candles on the goal posts - will report back on the merits or otherwise of outdoor hockey

hopefully with pics and full match-report?

Will do my best for pictures and match report - it was looking hopefull that Mike Fule would be our ace in the pack on the literature side and with a little persuasion he might have been talked into transfering his ride reporting skills to hockey but he’s been very quiet so it looks like it will fall into my incapable hands - it will soon become abundantly clear why none of the big news agencies have snapped up my far from over flowing bucket of prose composition skills. I myself will be surprised by the depths that I will no doubt plumb - time to dig out the cliche book…

MikeFule writing up a unihoki match?
my cup verily overfloweth
must be the closest thing to Charles Fortune in print
:slight_smile:

Will just bump this up to the top again - not to late to say you fancy coming and if there are any transport difficulties then let me know and I might be able to sort something out and that could include picking people up from Derby station if you’re getting the train over - so don’t be shy - you all know you want to :slight_smile: Hope to see you tonight

Cheers

Roland

Change of plans, I can make it :smiley:

See you there

Gary

Now I realise who you were - I was beginning to wonder where all the Gary’s were coming from - glad you could make it along, will have the report up soon

Wow, that was one hell of a game of hockey.

Full sized teams, a massive pitch and a really good balance between the two sides.

Riding in the rain on plastic pedals was a bit mental, I’m glad everyone was still up for playing despite the weather.

Can’t wait till next week!

By the way, anyone interested in a muni night ride, I’ll post up properly on a different thread, but it’s going to be next Thursday (14th) starting at the Bramcote Hills Park / Hemlock Stone car park at 8 o’clock which is <http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=449990&Y=338545&A=Y&Z=3> here. Bring a light or a head torch or some candles or something.

Joe