Cycling padded short

Hi, I am a newbie. I am looking for a padded short. I have searched on google and found some blogs like best cycling padded short. I also found 3D and 4D cycling padded shorts. Which one will be better 3D or 4D and what are their differences? Thanks

Don’t worry too much about it. Just start with a cheap, good quality pair and see how it goes. No need to spend much as a newbie on shorts. Price and comfort doesn’t always go hand in hand.

If you live in a colder area, get some thermal long padded trousers and wear shorts over. I find trousers hinders movement over the knee Ex. Jumping on the 36".

If you’re asking about protective shorts, I don’t know much about the different paddings, but my shorts hindered my pedaling a little. I don’t think they were made for unicycle-style pedaling. I ended up removing a bunch of the pads, leaving only tailbone and hipbone protection.

So I would look for something designed for lots of pedaling, not for coasting downhill at the bike park.

Unlike some bike saddles, all uni saddle do have some padding. If you have a uni saddle that fits well you may not need any padded shorts. I don’t use padded shorts and have did hundred mile (160km) days with absolutely no issues.

I would recommend bib shorts. They go over the shoulder and ensure certain vulnerable parts can be pulled up out of the way. This aspect is more important than the variants of padding.

Short cranks and hill climbing are also good to take the weight the saddle.