Custom Titanium Unicycles

This is an awesome thread :stuck_out_tongue:

My biggest regret is not getting a 36" Triton built up when I had the chance.

It’s not just a beautiful frame, it’s the best design I’ve seen in a unicycle. Plenty of tyre clearance, yet also enough of foot and knee clearance, and smooth corners that don’t catch. Perfect!

Ken

Triton Sponge.jpg

Glad you like it Ken! I’d like to see more pics when you get back from your tour! best of luck with that!

The crown on the 19" trials sized frames were designed to accomodate a tight-ish fit around the trials tyre whilst allowing for some minor buckle.

The larger sized Tritons were made in such a way that slightly fatter tyres could be accomodated, hence the slightly larger gaps with your skinnier tyres! Anyone doing any hardcore muni on these? I’d like to see a humongous tyre on these being blasted off a steep rocky edge!

I have a 19 and though I love it, and how it has got me into street, for me technical muni is what I want to do. However not to be on a Triton 24 kind of tinges every muni ride I go on. I was in the process of ordering one when Dmitry pulled the plug.

So I now ride mostly street because I can ride this frame even though it’s not really my thing.

I think these frames were very close to a perfect design, perfectly executed.

You ride a different style than what you like most because of the frame… riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Sweet unies.

Have you ever tried a Triton?

No, but I’ve tried 4 20in different frames. I can tell you I’m not going to love any frame that much, so much so I pick a style other than the one I like most. The kh is lighter anyways, plus mine is stripped and the welds sanded down so a few more grams right there.

Um… you come into a custom Ti thread with pics of all these beautiful Tritons, and your bragging about sanding down the welds on your KH, hahha. :roll_eyes:
The door is right there.

hahahaha

I did honestly get into street because I love riding this frame so much :o It does make me realise how stupid I was not to order a 24 and a 36 when I had the chance. To be honest, even then I’d be regretting not buying a spare of each. I really am that much of a fan of these things. Sorry.

I love your cranks.

I’ve been out of town lately and not in the loop. Here is a pic of my Triton 36er super Guni. It is fast, fun, light and very stiff. I’ve got a Wallis design seat that is also amazingly light. This pic was from Arches park last fall. They have some crazy scenic ribbons of road with some screaming descents. I’m planning on some big rides this summer. I love this uni.

i’m not a big cocker fan, but i love that uni… you need to drill those cranks, or get some lighter isis cranks, seems like a shame to have such lightweight parts and then very heavy kh cranks.

Yea, so I started with the lightweight isis cranks but they never would fit right…because of the length of the axle. I stripped two sets trying to get them on until I finally went with the moments. The new version of the KH/Schlumpf has longer axle to alleviate this problem.
I never thought of drilling them…maybe I’ll poke a few more holes in them. Do you think I’d notice the difference?
I was getting a little bored of Cokering until I got the geared hub. It really lets me push the envelope and gets my adrenaline running.

You need a handle for that geared 36! I can’t imagine riding without one on mine. I am sure your geared 36 is at least a pound lighter than mine as I have heavy GB4 handles and a rail adapter…and I am still using the coker tube instead of a 29er tube. I don’t think I will ever overcome the fear of using a 29er tube on it.

Is your wallis seat an air saddle?

I agree about getting bored of cokering 'til I got the geared hub.

I use the KH with both hands most of the time, so I just have adapted to what I have. I can still get her moving pretty good. The only problem has been that during a century ride last year my hands got cramped. I don’t feel comfortable with long extensions and I don’t like the weight. I’m going to build up a short GB-type handle in alloy when I find the time.
It is not an airseat, which I had prior to this. It is firm foam. At first it felt too hard but now it is far superior in comfort to the airseat on 25+ mile rides. It is a shame the Scott is out of the unicycle business. I was asking him about a V-grip handle and he said he is not taking orders and doesn’t know when he ever will.

Some people can notice the subtleties of material and design that has a direct effect on the way the uni feels and handles. It’s more noticeable on a bike frame for sure, but you can still appreciate it on a unicycle frame. In the bike industry, they all say Aluminium offers a very ‘stale and lifeless’ ride compared to Steel, Titanium, and CF. You won’t really that aspect of alu on a uni, but there we have it.

The Triton is light, but it could be lighter. There was always the option of using tube walls that were 3/4 the thickness of the normal tubing, and could have removed those under-crown gussets. My primary aim wasn’t to get it light, but miraculously, it still did turn out to be damn light.

Stripped KHs are only what, 5 grams lighter than a Triton? And sanding down welds? For people that really want to prove that their KH is lighter by doing all these petty mods, be my guest, as you’re only shaving off a meagre few grams. It’d be better time spent if you cut every alternative side-knobble off your trials tyre off (saves much more weight than sanding/stripping a frame; and also offers more grip on sidehops).

Nice unis chaps, keep ‘em comin’…

Sponge, where did your original thread that launched the Triton go? I’m sure I posted in that the weight of my 29" frame (which I think was 610g), but wanted to check back to make sure I was correct. However, no amount of searching either on here or google was able to track it down. It was such a popular thread with hundreds of replies and thousands of views that I can’t believe it has just fallen off of Gilbys server :thinking:

Anyway, I also wondered if there were any official figures for the amount of these frames sold, in which sizes and where in the world they went. I’ll start off a list;

STM 29" UK

STM

Hmmm … I’ve got a titanium hub… :roll_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

-Isaac

nice uni you got isaac! :astonished: but you should post it in another thread;)

Oooppss! :o

Sorry about that…I guess I forgot to read the whole description…

Unfortunately, I can’t delete my post, so if a moderator wants to delete it, go ahead.

Sorry,

-Isaac