Custom Titanium Unicycles

I don’t know how often they do but I’ve heard of people bending or even breaking flanges on the older KH ti hub. The new one shouldn’t have that problem, though.

I hope mine don’t. I got the older one for its looks etc etc. the new one looks alright but not as cool as the old one. other people will say other wise I know

I’ve only heard of one broken KH Ti hub flange(the older model) and it was just a problem with this hub (this only hub). The guy got a new hub I think, I can’t remember who it was but I know he posted it on the forums.

Shame on you for having a KH titanium axle with crapy nimbus cranks!

Was it Joe Dyson by any chance. I know he broke his one like not long after he got it I think.

Qu-Ax cranks.

Just because they are inexpensive does not mean that they are crap. I have those exact same cranks and they are really quite nice.

Makes more sense using the lightweight Qu-Ax cranks with the Ti hub than Moments when you are going for a light weight setup. I doubt he is doing 6’ drops with it.

On the subject of the Exceed hub:

Aren’t they made from a single chunk of titanium? in that case making the flanges as small as possible would mean that they could start with smaller stock and have less lath/mill work to do.

the exceed hub is not made in one piece, the flanges are welded onone side to the axle
the flanges are small so that they won’t bend, and so that it’s lighter :slight_smile:

I jumped off a wall over another small wall to the ground and my left cranks bent badly with those cranks

The exceed hub might be lighter, but you have to get a few mm more of spokes(I’m not even sure about that though).:stuck_out_tongue:

Cranks

@ aidanteleki: The Qu-ax cranks work great for the kind of riding I am doing on my 29er, which is mostly open single track, fire trails and some smaller technical runs. It wouldn’t make sense to build up such a lightweight uni and then use heavy over engineered KH moments. Yes, Moments do have their place, but that’s on my trials, and my 26" GUNI. In fact, I also use 114mm Qu-ax aluminium on my KH 36er, as I think they are the lightest ISIS crank option readily available.

Exactly mate. +1. :slight_smile:

Yes but if you always on the ground that does not mean that you need to be lightweight. So in a sense you don’t need a titanium hub on anything bigger than a 26’ because it is just a waste of money. So I say if your going to get a titanium hub then put some good cranks on it as well. :slight_smile:

Did I miss where he said he had never hopped on his 29er? Even if he doesn’t you can still feel the weight difference just riding around. If those nice lightweight cranks work well for what he’s riding, why fix what’s not broken and get stronger (heavier) cranks? A titanium hub with cranks like moments is ridiculous. Why spend the money on a super nice hub if you’re just going to counteract the weight difference with tanklike cranks?

the reason people get the expensive things like ti hubs and such is because they like the bling FACTOR of there uni,and also because they can afford to spend endless amount on the things they love.

If you going to the extent of saving weight with a ti hub,its only 200g lighter.you can change so many parts out before the ti comes into play.but when you have exhausted all lighter options eg-tires,pedals,seat,seat post,frame and cranks you might have to spend big to for minimal weight.personally im waiting for the exceed hub to come out as im not a fan of the kh.

No, the flange width is less (same as my Koxx light hub) so if you’re swapping hubs (and not the rim) you can use the same length spokes.

thats right.
the cheapest way to save weight is to use a lighter tube - but at the end if you did all the cheap things you will change the hub, frame or what else.

and you have the mental factor - even if there is non or just a small physical benefit, you will get better results in the awareness to use the best material;)

I’m wanting to rebuild a unicycle once I return to the UK from my gap year abroad.

I’ve not been into the unicycling scene for several years now, but would like to have one kicking around again! It’s just the best bit of casual garden messing around, and I miss it!

My basis’ll be The Ti frame. I’m putting aside the ISIS/32h rim project, and just going for what has worked for this frame since it’s early UniVeRse days… good 'ol Profile hub and cranks. So I’m wondering what’s good these days for other parts?

I’m after suggestions/input:

-a 36h RED rim of some sort… It seems no one makes these anymore? Try-All seems to have killed off their coloured rims of past?

-A slim Trials saddle… What’s the slimmest and most durable one? I hear the new Impact Naomi is pretty ideal? Something about a unique removable cover feature too?

-Seatpost… just a 27.2mm aluminium one, but I’d like one with a strong join… Pit Fighter 3, new KH, and Impact no-weld… any others? What’s the best?

Cheers!

I am not sure what you will find in red for 36 hole trials rim if the 36 hole Try-All rims are no longer available in multiple colors any more.

I laced a 48h hub to a 32h rim with no problem and can’t see why you should not be able to go that route to use the 32h rim you want.

V!Z

Pretty tough rim
i use them for my 26" muni and my trial (new wheelset coming soon)
Lots of colours available :slight_smile:

(take a look at the anod rim 20") Rear 19" is available with 36 holes.

Hey thanks for replies. Ahh, shame is that I knew of the Viz a long time ago… the brand is pretty shady though. The rims are pretty bad, as they have that awful brake-line indicator stripe on the sidewall. It’s a dealbreaker. (unless recently they changed that?) I hope so

Hmm, it is a shame Tryall no longer makes coloured rims.

They didnt change that, the rim i got 3 days ago looks like the one i got back in 2006. I never had a problem with the brakeline indicator till now though, did they break like the old Kris Holm rims or what is the problem with that?