Custom Titanium Unicycles

No i can not it’s only designed to work with the STD hose’s as for weight it’s only 100mm’s longer then a cross over! (the weight save with the small Y is made up by the Y) and I have 4 of the Y’s so its a cleaner look and No cross over hose! we have a lot of Mud in NZ and I have designed my Muni/Guni for the Up coming Karapoti Classic! :slight_smile:

Sum more photo’s of My Triton almost finished :roll_eyes: just the 2nd hose to fit and a handle :stuck_out_tongue:

Very cool Peter. Triton!!! I have a few questions :stuck_out_tongue: What is that blue thing on the valve? (I don’t mean the valve cap BTW). Also what seatclamp/s is that? It looks very light! Also im loving that custom brake bracket! Also those welds look very nice! Why did you choose to have a longer seatpost tube?

Well?
The Blue thing is from Motorcross Bike’s to stop dirt/mud getting inside if rim/tyre! Just somethink I had laying around!
The seat clamp’s one is STD and one I customised? (to fit lower) are Surly stainiess steel Clamp’s.
The Mark 2 brake bracket was a last minute thing I make up before driving down to Unicon 15! :slight_smile: It worked out great! (load’s better then mark 1, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 etc)
The welds look great and are Made with Love from Russia!
The long seat tube is My idea of the way forword with Muni and it make’s space for the brake hose mount’s. (also for look’s)
Thanks alot.
Pete G…

:astonished: nicest muni i’ve seen so far (i’m still waiting for mine, it will be maybe even a little bit nicer…)

Nice Triton!

I’m stoked that my old design has still stuck! (Minus the stiffening gussets under the crown!)

By the way, just a friendly suggestion!.. Once your Rubber Queen is dead or you get plain fed up of it (like 99% of trials bike riders) treat yourself to either a Conti Rain King or Der Kaiser!

^Best two 26" tyres in DH (and exported into biketrials), with a unique compound that lasts longer and grippier than any of their other tyres incl. the RQ and every Maxxis tyre. The Rain King and Der Kaiser exclusively use a special version of Conti’s black chilli compound and also have a much sturdier carcass than the Rubber Queen which is known to be foldy and unpredictable on off-camber surfaces. RQ also colloquially known as ‘Puncture Queen’ :stuck_out_tongue:

That would be the sweetest top-off to an already mean muni.

:slight_smile:

Beautiful unicycle.

Is that a KH top piece on a Thompson post? How do they match up? is the curve right?

I am interested about your brake bracket, Is there anything holding the clamp section of the lever body or is all the holding force on the bolt going through it? Could you take a picture of how it is set up?

For the two hose lines from one lever, I am guessing that you would be using the bleed hole. Does one of those fir-tree fittings fit in that hole? If it does this might be a pretty simple mod that could be great for anyone with a tendency to break cross over lines. Only problem I can see is without the wrap once around the seatpost it looks like you don’t have enough room to remove the seatpost without disconnecting the brake, or am I wrong?

I love the look of that Rain King tire, once my Vredistein wears out that might have to be my next tire.

Bad news: Unless you plan on buying the Rain King in the next few weeks you won’t find it.

Good news: The Rain King is actually still fully existant from now in but with a new name for 2011 onwards: Der Baron. So look out for that if you’re liking the Rain King. Same tyre, same everything… just a different print on the sidewall.

I don’t know why they decided to change the name but apparently Continental thought Der Baron was a better suited name for their equal top tyre.

The Der Kaiser is the choice favourite for trials riders as it has an awesome tread pattern. Same carcass as the Rain King but due to the ultra large treads on Der Kaiser, it is slightly larger.

The Rubber Queen is also getting a name change for 2011: The Trail King… so just keep that in mind in case early 2011 you’re wondering where the heck the Rubber Queen and Rain King went.

Thank You Sponge But unlike aload of people I do like the Rubber Queen!
It’s light and ride’s very well in Taupo we have Pumice (a rock that floats on water) may change it for Karapoti Classic next year as its Muddy some years.
Pete G

Further to my suggestion to Dimitry, the bearings housing fixations have been moved exactly in the middle of the bearings in order to tighten the frame in the axis and not on the side, that’s reduce the stress inside the bearings and assures a better frame assembly.

That was what I wanted for the Tritons, as I used to have a KH04 frame once and found how awkward it was to have the fixations/lugs offset from the bearing centre.

I noticed for the prototypes that I received, the spacing was just really a tight squeeze for the hub to fit in so it did offset the lugs a little somewhat.

My original desired design for the holders is different to what you see currently however. I wanted something more along the lines of a modern KH frame or like a shaft collar like on the GB4s. I wanted to reduce welds there as much as possible and have a stiffer one-piece design. However, for titanium it would prove waay to expensive to get it like that.

At last I have fitted My Twin brake hose set up and have No cross over hose :astonished: I have room for Mud and stone’s etc :roll_eyes: . And it all Balanced :wink: It work’s Great. I think its a new way to run brake hose’s on Muni’s. :smiley:

very cool! is ist easy to do?

That brake hosing setup looks pretty neat! But there is a similar option for those that want no pesky cross-over hose!:

^Not the best shot, but just an example of the Hose Splitter on someone else’s bike!

Monty hose-splitter. It looks super neat and theoretically allows the slaves to push the oil more evenly. However, you can only use plastic hosing (but that’s perfectly fine anyway?!) and these days that splitter is damn hard to find.

In other news: Expect me to post up a revived unicycle in this topic in a couple months. :wink:

Hi Sponge You are right and this is were I got the idea in the 1st place.
But I have damaged some of the plastic hose’s in UPD so switch to SS hose’s and can up with the Twin Hose set up which I like more.
I have 4 Monty hose-splitter’s (which are Not for sale) which I may use on a 36" Uni one day.
Pete G…

I really love Peter’s Triton.
Sexy seat tube and clamps, nicely managed brakes, and beautiful flowers on the background :slight_smile:
It is -1C here and raining cats and dogs. I can’t stop feeling envy :slight_smile:

It is nice to see Triton unicycles changing and improving with the time.
Thanks to Sponge, the Triton unicycles appeared back in the days. That took a lot of time and effort.
We do a lot of brainstorming with Jogi and our riders and customers on the design and tech. Thanks to Jogi, a lot more Tritons have appeared then I expected.
bouin-bouin has suggested the centered bearing holder clamps and we have introduced them quite shortly.
Then the Mountainuni disc brake mounts appeared too.
PeterG wanted cable stops for his brakes and we have put them.

Our main problem now is the production timing. Sometimes it takes you guys ages to wait for a frame. That’s something I am working on now.

I find a lot of satisfaction in this work and will do my best to improve.

Thank you guys! :slight_smile:

Dmitry

Triton

I’m still so stoked to this day how much Triton has grown in the unicycling world. Speaking objectively, I honestly do believe ‘pound for pound’ they are the best overall frames for off-road unicycling.

The turn-around time for a Triton to be made isn’t that bad to be honest. It takes a lot longer for certain steel/chromo custom frame makers in The Americas and Europe to make a frame for a customer.

I totally agree with having the bearing holders centralised, though at least with the first two I received way back… they seemed fine? :slight_smile:

As a friendly suggestion: cable-guides welded onto the tubing is something I personally (maybe just me… but still) would avoid. If you guys have ever heard of a really great newish trials brand called Trialtech (same company as Inspired Bicycles) then you’ll see that their ultra-strong and light forks used to have a cable guide welded on tubing… but that got removed for the following batches because it caused a stress riser around the cable guide and cracked the tubing. Not ideal.

^Chances of a titanium tube cracking like that is less likely than alu, but in theory it is still a potential issue in the long run. Cracking a great frame at such a petty location is such a gutting feeling.

Instead, you can get these:

http://tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=10896

Really light and neat stick-on cable guides which won’t stress-riser out your tubing. Plus you can always choose exactly where you want to place them. Nice price, and TartyBikes ship worldwide VERY fast and effectively at a really really good price.

excellent idea

thanks!

Jogi

Sponge, you are correct, I have also seen those cable guides crushing the whole fork. But we both ride bicycle trials and we know that the stress and the direction of stress applied on a trials fork is completely different compared to a municycle. Trials riders do things like hookups and touch hops. Which is basically slamming the bike (front wheel) against a wall :slight_smile:

We have been using cable guides on all XC/Trials frames and they have never failed.
They will not trouble a unicycle frame too.

Those stick-on guides looks like a nice idea too. The only concern may be the glued attachment. Are you sure it will stay long?
On a unicycle frame the seat tube may be used to carry the unicycle and thus the guides could be torn off withing weeks (just a guess).

That’s def true for bike frames with cable guides, but I guess bike frames die earlier at other more stressing points like the headtube or chainstays.

I have noticed on some trials frames that the cable guide’s welding forms a bit of small ‘wrinkling’ after a while. For a uni frame though the stress placed on the seattube is pretty high, so there’s potential for a stress riser to form eventually. It’ll take longer on a Triton than say an alu frame but still… it’s good to keep the welding to a minimum imo. As such I’m totally against integrated seatclamps welded onto a frame… I’ve seen a few disasters before on BMXs!

Those stick-on guides are really really grippy. I doubt Tartybikes would run them on some of their own bikes otherwise. If positioned in the right places I don’t think that there would be much chance of them being rubbed off by say repeated leg brushing.

I think most people carry the unis by one leg if not rolling them so having those guides stuck onto the neck isn’t too much an issue.