Custom Grab Handles, post what you got!

My budget frankenstein on 29er:
Torker brake mount + old chinup bar + used b**e parts = about 20 bucks.

Zero flex, rock solid, and has taken many hard hits on pavement.

No calls to “customer service”, no listening for UPS truck, and no blue Loctite.

100_7463.JPG

100_7465.JPG

100_7467.JPG

Gonna bump this up. I plan on making a grab handle mount like nursebens hopefully but I’ve got a Nimbus gel seat and notice most of the pics (the ones that aren’t blocked at work anyhow) are on KH seats without a front handle.
Can you buy the bumpers without handle anywhere? If not what do you suggest for getting rid of mine???

The Freestyle bumper will fit your Nimbus seat no problem, but the KH plate will only fit the new Nimbus seat which uses the new KH base. Look at your Nimbus seat, underneath back ny the rear bumper, if it says KH then you’re in luck!

If you have the old Nimbus seat, then you need to bend the KH set stiffener to fit; bend it to fit before you add the tubing mount.

Lately I have been taking older grab handles and cutting off the grab portion, this makes a nice bumper that supports the KH plate much better, and it’s cheap cuz you already have one!

If you have to buy the KH mount, and you a having a shop making the mount, consider having the whole thing made from scratch using stainless steel plate and tubing, it’ll be more durable. My next set of mounts will be done with stainless steel. You can also get a custom bar end done at tge same time :sunglasses:

It’s a brand new Nimbus Muni so I assume it’s got the new seat on but I’ll double check.
I’ve got a few sheets of 4, 5 and 6mm alu at home so I’m gonna have a play about and see what can be done. Bit of a newb regarding technical stuff on uni’s so I need to whip my seat off and have a look at it as I know nowt about the seat stiffeners and what comes on/fits on what yet.
Cheers for the help!

Just had a look on uni.com and I think I’m a bit more clued up now. Reckon I’ll be able to fabricate a 1 piece stiffener/grab handle though I might get another base to try it on and probably flatten it out a bit in the process.

If you’re feeling motivated, and since you’ll have the seat off the uni, take a look at the ghetto seat flattening folks are doing: The world's second best unicycle seat (for tightwads)

The Nimbus Gel is my favorite so far for flattening, foam requires minimal work to be comfy.

I have some ideas for how to improve the mounting system, one of which would be to place the mounting point in the same location as the grab handle.

See if this makes sense: So from the KH plate, make an elbow that extends vertically in front of the seat, then the bar end would be at the same height as the seat/grab, also it would give you more effective “grab” for your hand.

I got a plate made up the other day by a friend and I’ve just got around to fitting it at work. Need to order a cheapo pair of bar ends off eBay before I can chop the extension bar down and then I can get my magura fitted.
Will get some pics up shortly!

1 Like

Pics

Custom KH T-bar without the T

Pictured here are my Oracle 26er with a Nurse Ben custom grab handle and my KH 29er with a KH T-bar.

Here is a before and after of the KH T-bar. The before picture has the T-bar in place (sans bar ends while tinkering). It’s difficult to tell from this angle but I have narrowed the T section as per Kris’ recommendation but I still felt like I might (and often did) get tangled up in it when I UPD off the front. Also, I like the placement of the ergo grip so much (closely replicating my NB handle) that I rarely found myself using the bar ends out on the end except for those few XC stretches between singletrack which is surprising because, on my 36er, my left hand rarely leaves the bar ends of a fully extended Shadow Handle. But, that is on the road and my 29er (with and HD on a 47mm wide rim) does not see much road action. It is my favorite MUni (until I get tired and grab for the 26er).

Here is the after picture.

I sourced cheap $5 straight 12" piece of chrome post from my LBS to replace the T-Bar. I put the other of the pair of field hockey stick end bulbs (the first having been used on my NB handle) on there and I really like it a lot now that it is paired with a NB ghetto flat saddle though I was beginning to get along with the brake lever under the saddle with the built in handle. I found myself doing a lot more hands free riding which can also be great fun.

Just to add a twist to the pile of good ideas here… I liked the design that Tirving/Brycer1968 had due to the adjustability, the fact that it uses “normal” tubing which gives more shape choices for the handle, and the greater stiffness. However, I don’t have the fabrication skills (or time/patience) to make all the pieces.

For simplicity, I really like Nurse Ben’s design using bar ends and a post. However, I tried that and didn’t like the downward curve of the bar end that was necessary to protect my brake lever. That made my wrist sore after a short ride.

So, stealing liberally from both ideas, I put together a hybrid setup:

Instead of a single post like Nurse Ben’s, I went with two for greater stiffness in all directions. Instead of Brycer’s seat clamp on a tube, I used the bar-end clamps themselves. I drilled two holes in the base plate (Aluminum, so I could use spade bit drills made for wood. A 7/8" drill was just the right size for the free bar ends I found.) Then, I could weld the bar ends from both sides. I use the term “weld” loosely, as I am just learning, and my welds show it!

Now I can mount it and slide in sections from any handlebar with any shape I want. It’s length adjustable, and I can rotate it to change the direction of the bar curve as well.

A little bar tape recycled from my bike bars, and a cap for a kitchen stool leg, and we’re all set!

The best part is, the whole thing cost me less than 5 bucks to make with some scraps I had lying around and a free set of bar ends from the local bike collective. :smiley:

To all who posted on this thread, thanks for the ideas. Happy riding.

Nice project, ubernerd. A question to all riders with a custom bar: Which finger(s) do you use for braking? Is it possible to use the index finger or are the levers too short?

So far, I haven’t settled in on one. With my setup, if my hand is out by the end of the handle, it’s positioned well for my middle finger to work the brake. If my hand is closer in, then my index finger is in the right place.

If I can make it work, I’ll likely brake with my middle finger, as that’s what I’m used to doing on my bike, and I have a better grip that way, but may be in he minority there since I have no pinky on that hand (damn table saws…).

Today, I decided to go a a few years back in the past, and make a Reeder handle compatible with a brake and a KH seatbase. The paint is drying at school, picture to come tomorrow :wink:

This I’d like to see. I always liked the Reeder. In fact, it’s where I got my inspiration for my MUni handle. I was originally disapointed that I couldn’t get the handle to turn in from like the Reeder. It’s funny how mine ended up similar to Ben’s (although his is much nicer).

Whatever happened to GB4? They had some innovative stuff back in the day, and with a little tweaking I’m sure a bunch of it would still be useful.

Are you making a stiffener plate that runs back to the seatpost?

I never tried a Reeder handle before. The main reason I decided to make one is because I can find any thin gloves that are hot enough for my winter here. I dont know if the position is going to be good as I didn’t mesure anything. I dont even know if the brake will be close enough to reach with my finger!

I dont know what happened to GB4, that’s before my time haha! I saw a few of their products, I like their designs, as you said, everything looked innovative and simple!

I’m not making a stiffner plate, it’s going to be used on a CF seatbase (also home made :slight_smile: )

I never tried one either. By the time I was starting MUni the only Reeders around we’re left handed. Plus, they were made for Miyata bases if I recall correctly. Still I thought the concept was good.

So, here it is! My remake of a Reeder Handle! I haven’t had the time to ride it yet, hopefully tomorrow I’ll have the time to go on a small Muni ride with it! The brake is too far from the grip, I’ll make an adapter for my lever that will solve the problem though. :slight_smile:

It’s all made from Cr-Mo steel and Stainless steel, all Tig welded. I will eventually have a Lock-On grip on it, as soon as we get our custom grips at the shop!

I still have enough material to make another one. I’ll think of another design to try. Any ideals? :slight_smile:

That looks wicked! How bout’ like an ovalish shape that you could use with left or right hands? Not too sure how well that’d work- I tend to swap hands and use one hand over the other on easier terrain with the normal KH plastic handle.

Looks interesting. I’ll await a review/description of how it feels.

that does look cool

might it be an idea to try and weld it onto a stiffener plate (like the t-bar mount is). i assume it would provide a really stiff mount.

edit: didnt realise the kh stiffener was aluminium so not an easy change of base plate whatsoever.