Crown Stands, gateway skills/progression

I’m real-ly digging wheel walking, and see how it lends itself to learning gliding. Naturaly, crown stands -both wheel walking and gliding- have captured my imagination. If you are experienced in these skills, I’d very much like to hear about your training methode, and any other lower (heh!) skills that you built on.

Thanks for your input,

-Christopher

so where’s brittney!?!

and i’d like to c christina aquilera get ‘dirrty’ on a muni

:stuck_out_tongue:

What was that?

tumble weed rolls past, branch stalls on a park bench, then continues on it’s way

Oh, silly me -thought I heard some body in here.

Sure is big and empty in here… kinda spooky… can hear myself swallow.

Humm…

Hello?
Hello?
Hello?
Hello?

Yep, empty.

Chris,

Have you tried e-mailing people who you know can wheel walk and glide? Like Lutkus (curse his exploding pins :)) or Kris Holm or the like? Those guys are often busy, but when they have time, they are pretty accessible arent they?

Lewis

When I saw Jeff Lutkus practicing stand up wheel walking he started off next to a wall, stepped onto the crown with toe holding the tire in place, and then he just stood up and went for it. I’m thinking that this would be a good way to start off. I’ll let you know after I master wheel-walking and give it a try. I would get good at 1-foot ww. And try 1 foot seat in front, I find that I am standing on the crown half the time and you get a sense of crown balance. Gliding couln’t hurt.

• Sal

Wow, I appreciate the vote of confidence there, but I’m not hugely knowledgable in all things there. Also, what pins do I have and when have they exploded?

Um, gliding I learned almost simultaneously with 1 foot ww. Ok, when I fist learned 1 foot ww, it was a very rigid thing. Grab the tire, give it a quick push, pick up your foot just long enough to reset its position. Grab the tire again, to the point of nearly stopping your motion, then give another push.

As I got better at this, I was able to extend the motion to a smoother scuff. This is the beginning of a glide.

I also worked on gliding on a slight hill. I started idling with my right foot, moved my left to the wheel, right to the crown, kicked off, and glide. The hard part about gliding is you have to learn the right amount of pressure to apply to the tire, and must be able to varry that pressure to maintain your balance. While learning, I was always applying too much pressure. So, I’d ride though some sand or something first to get rid of some friction. This lack of friction makes a controlled glide nearly impossible, but it at least gave me a clue about how gliding feels.

Hope that helped. If not, I’ll blame it on my pain meds as I recover from ankle surgery.

jl

Sal, Jeff -thanx for the words. Sal, could you elaberate on the bit about standing on the crown half the time when one foot seat out fronting?

Jeff- hey, what happened to your ankle? What’s the outlook for recovery? Injuries suck- especialy when you’re making good use of your capabilities! Needless to say, best wishes. I watched the video of you gliding around campus, again, just last week. It’s your dutey to recover ASAP and make some recordings of your crown stand progress…

Well… uh… ya’ see, we’re playing Champions, the super-hero roll playing game… and I sorta named an evil-juggling-unicycling clown after you. It can only hissss one word, ‘Lutkus’. There’s an incomplete pic, here -you’ll have to imagine the exploding juggling balls and poisonis smoke emitting pins, for now.

-Christopher

hahahahahaha

When you seat out in front one foot ride you still put your foot on the crown. When the pedal that my foot is on is in the upmost position you can stand on the crown. I suppose you can let go of the seat as well, and from there you might as well stand up and put your pedal foot on the wheel.

• Sal

edit Man, I can’t wait to tell Jeff about you making a rpg villian from him.