Complete Beginner

Too funny how everyone has the best way of learning. :laughing:

I’m in the learning to freemount as you learn to ride way of thinking.
I believe body protection (helmet, gloves, knee/shin pads, elbow pads, and lots of clothing) will help you avoid injuries and provide a mental boost to try hard (while not getting hurt).

Don’t overthink it.
You’re learning to ride a unicycle, not become a chess grandmaster.

It’s a very counterintuitive action required to ride a unicycle.

So you need repetition to override the tentative body saving actions that have worked all of your life.
For example… all of your life when you fall forward your body naturally leans back and tries to save itself from falling down. On a unicycle when you start to fall forward you have to pedal harder into the fall to bring the unicycle back under you to save yourself.
Pushing harder into a fall just seems so wrong in the beginning.
Once your brain starts to re-write these connections, then the riding and fun begins.

I think shorter sessions work. Sure you can keep going but I think that’s when mistakes are made and the possibility of getting hurt goes up.
I think you should be aggressive when learning. Lean forward so you fall forward (safer than fall backwards). Learn to fall off of the unicycle early in the learning process so it’s not scary anymore (judo roll).
Trying to be as safe as possible and riding tentatively, I think, leads to very bad accidents (falling backwards).

If you are still worried about getting hurt then learn on grass.
Yes it’s a little harder surface to learn on but not that much.
You’ll feel safer on it and once you do learn to ride on grass you’ll be able to ride on any other surface presented to you. Every other surface will feel incredibly easy to ride on.

This is, of course, just what I believe works but it is the best way! :rofl:

3 Likes

The important thing is to just keep at it; consistently.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.