Comedy vs music for long rides!

After riding thousands of miles on my 36er, there’s only so many favorite songs I can listen to…over and over again…while riding! So for today’s ride I thought I’d try something different, and convert a few George Carlin shows to mp3.

It had been a while since I listened to any, and within the first few minutes I was laughing to uncontrollably while riding, that I could barely stay on my 36er, lol! Seriously, tears were coming out of my eyes I was laughing so hard! What was even funnier was that people walking or running, and on bikes would see me cracking up and probably thought I was insane! (Hmmm :p)

Anyway, I just pretended that I had a headset on and was “talking” to someone on a cell phone, haha! It was the most fun I’ve had riding in a long time! I’ll be converting lots more comedy stuff to mp3 for future rides, and I highly recommend it as a great alternative to the same old songs. :smiley:

PS: This is the routine of Carlin’s I was listening too, and almost fell off my uni at 2:13! :D:p:)

Podcasts are also good for variety.
Humor, music, etc., free, hard to beat that!

I’d love to get some podcast recommendations. As long as they hold my attention and are at least 15 minutes long each. I tried some Phil Hendrie podcasts and they’re pretty funny! Lately I’ve been listening to Tim Conway jr., he has a show on am 640 KFI locally on Los Angeles. he’s a crackup and also the son of the famous comedian/actor Tim Conway.

I like the “Ask a Ninja” Podcast, although most of those are videos, but they have a few longer audio-only that are good while riding. Really funny for the geeky martial artist (or even wannabe geeky martial artists).

For training rides, I’ve enjoyed long music mix podcasts, like Steve Boyette’s Groovelectric podcast.

You can convert any video podcast to mp3. I use “any video converter”. It’s free and works amazingly well and converts ANY video format to whatever you want; avi, wmv, mov, mp4, etc. :slight_smile:

I like Format Factory a lot better, since you can convert almost any type of file and it is really simple to use…

I don’t know if would translate over that well but Ricky Gervais Podcast series one makes me cry with laughter. Karl Pilkington is an awesome idiot with a head the shape of an orange.
Once, I had to pull over in my car to wipe my eyes as I was laughing so much.

It had been a while since I listened to any, and within the first few minutes I was laughing to uncontrollably while riding, that I could barely stay on my 36er, lol! Seriously, tears were coming out of my eyes I was laughing so hard! What was even funnier was that people walking or running, and on bikes would see me cracking up and probably thought I was insane! (Hmmm )

Still LOL, with this Mental Image Terry. Very Funny :smiley:

haha, happened again on today’s ride. Was listening to Carlin again, talking about people who say, “have a nice day”, or “I’m fine”, and “that’s great!”. The voices he uses always put me on the floor…which is always risky while riding! His observations about airlines are hilarious as well, and totally logical! :stuck_out_tongue:

I also prefer listening to talking rather than music.
Also thinking it is safer, since music tend to block out abitily to hear traffic more than talking does.
I can recommend Pen Jilette’s Penn radio, archived and free for download at www.pennfans.net. Although dating back to 2007, most shows are classics and as funny as when it came out.
Another nice one is this american life , a chicargo based weekly show, each telling stories with a theme for each episode.

I tend to a mix of music and podcasts.

If you are after something interesting, inspiring and educational try the TED talks podcasts. TED is short for “Technology, Entertainment and Design”
and their catch phrase is “ideas worth spreading”. There are a huge variety of topics and although a lot of them are video, many of the video ones work well as audio too. Each talk features a world class expert talking on their topic of interest.

For all you parents out there, “focus on the family” is a great radio show that is provided as a podcast. I get a lot of helpful parenting tips while I’m riding.

When im riding urban, or something that is well “extreme” I definitally like music. If I am going distance, Its more an entertainment issue than a motivation issue. So Its nice to have something other than music on long rides, I used to use good ole Dane Cook for bike rides.