coker setup.

Ring them and have a chat.

Cathy

PS All this talk of you buying a coker makes me want one again too. After managing to convince myself I didn’t want one. Damn. Damn.

sure 3rd time lucky, and we’ll see :o

Why put HS33’s on a 36" wheel?

Although Magura’s are very flexible and smooth brakes they are less than ideal for a big wheel. Big wheel flex, especially should you take them off-road, however wide your hub is and tight your spokes are. Magura brakes do not have the ability to absorb movement in a rim. A good set of V brakes are considerably cheaper and have the ability to drift with the wheel. They also have the option for adapting into drag brakes which is a great way to ride hills on a big wheel.
The other thing that should be noted is that V-brakes are not a problem for catching your legs on big wheels.

Just my 2p worth.

Roger

maybe in practice but on paper it doesn’t, the hydraulic system uses a reservoir so if the rim flexes the pressure put on 1 side of the mangura brake will transfer to the other balancing the pressure the pads makes.

Now the question is how smooth are the brakes and can they handle that?

I am talking in practise.

I have a CrMo Blizzard frame with Magura’s on. There is not enough movement on them to compensate when you are off road. It is just a physical thing there is only 5mm movement maximum before you hit the body of the magura mounts.

Good V-brakes are very smooth. Look at all the mountain bikes with them on. Remember the bigger the wheel the smoother it gets.

Roger

yeah did say, just like to know why, and shame they mount hit :frowning:

If you get a chance can you email me a price for UDC coker with powered black and airfoil rim plz, i’m still waiting :frowning:

thx

Damien
(fantasticola@hotmail.co.uk)

Patience, patience.

Mike

Sorry we are a bit behind in the office… we still have not put the warehouse back together after BUC!

I am in the office now building wheels that have to go out tomorrow. Damien, just give me a call and I can go through the options.

Roger

i got next day delievry on my cranks and hub i was happy

well done UDC

shame the rubbish LBS isnt as fast… there taking forever and they still havnt startd to build my wheel

anywho thanks roger

My coker fits in the backseat of my Toyota Corolla. I lay it vertically across the seats…part of the wheel is down near the floor though and one crank is on the middle of the backseat and the other goes in between the drivers seat and the passenger seat.

I’ve got some rubbish v-brake on my Schlumpf, cos I had to get hold of it on he same day as I was going to a race. Even that works really well, and feels at least as good as maguras.

The only problem with my cheap rubbish v-brake is that the mount on the brake where the cable goes in is further out, so it can hit your legs when hopping.

Joe McLean has good shimano v-brakes on his muni, and they just felt soooo smooth when I had a try. They take a bit of setting up, but you only have to do that once.

Joe

This is a question close to my heart, so I’m glad you asked it! :slight_smile:

After a year’s worth of experimentation about 3 years ago, I was able to make the flex of the 36" size insignificant from the viewpoint of braking. I’ve found this personally true riding, and haven’t had a single complaint about it from a customer. In other words, I can adjust the brake for essentially normal operation, and not have brake rub on ascents or during idling.

Actually they do. Measuring last night I found about 8mm of total lateral movement possible. I doubt that a V-brake will track more than that, although I have not yet had the chance to investigate this. However, 8mm of lateral movement is an indication of a problem with the wheel, not a desirable normal operating condition. I must add, though, that I don’t yet have a way to measure flex during riding, and I haven’t heard of a method being employed (at least at this point) by anyone else.

When Maguras track the rim, they do it perpendicular to the rim surface, which is ideal. When V-brakes track the rim, they change angle with respect to the rim surface.

In addition, Maguras track with equal pressure on both sides of the rim, since the force is transmitted hydraulically. With V-brakes, the pressure changes asymmetrically, since each side of the brake’s spring tension is adjusted independently.

This is a weakness of the current Magura technology. However, some riders have had good success with manipulating the manual adjustment on the brake lever to achieve a drag action. I have been able to do this, but found (on the 2004 and earlier models) that it was a little awkward.

In contrast, setting up a drag brake on a unicycle is not as trivial as one might think. The drag-specific components, pulled from the bike world, are not designed for braking, and achieving a smooth action cable-wise can be quite a challenge (as in hours and hours of cutting, recutting, extra cable, many brake adjustments, and the like). This is especially true for the portion of the cable that enters the noodle area. Often this leads to a large lateral footprint for the brake, which may interfere with mounting and dismounting.

Here is a gallery of photos of a 29er with a non-drag V-brake. It seems like a trivial, clean setup. But adding or switching to a drag option would not be as straightforward, because the release action is not as clean as with a normal brake.

The Magura brake-leg interface is the smoothest, cleanest available. There are only rounded edges, smooth surfaces, and smooth cable interfaces in the area of the leg. In contrast, V-brakes contain lots of leg-grabbers.

Roger may have meant that, on big wheels, the brakes are out of the way so that leg-grabbing is not possible. This may be true on certain frames if one stays away from mounting, SIF, and hopping, but in general this is not true.

Finally, although I have not had the chance to spend a lot of time and money on this, finding a set of quality V-brakes that will match the 36" frame/tire dimensions is nearly impossible. The only success I have had so far was with the Odyssey 1999, which is a cheap brake, difficult to adjust, and suitable only for certain frames. Maguras are a breeze to adjust with a little practice. V-brakes on the 36" size also tend to have almost zero clearance above the tire.

Finding a good V-brake for a 36" is an area I need to investigate, and would be glad to hear suggestions. However, for everything except the drag brake option, the Maguras outshine V-brakes. Having a drag brake option for Maguras would be icing on the cake.

This may be yours, not mine. When riding off road, I can get the body of my maguras to touch the wheel. This is with a VERY tight wheel and a VERY rigid frame. It is not with normal off road riding, but when racing at the mountain mayhem where I am really riding hard the brakes were throwing me off on tight corners. At first I could not believe this but after several checks, this proved to be the case. I use Magura’s as I have for the last 4 years, but not when I am racing in this event.

As I say how about touching the body of the casing… this is a pretty exact measurement! :slight_smile:

All true, but remember what we are trying to do. It is slow the wheel down in a progressive manor.
a) It is not a problem brake block applying force at an angle at the lower pressure points. It is when the brake is applied hard that the whole brake must be applied to the brake surface and of course they will be with any braking system. If anything this will help with the progressiveness of the braking.
b) Asymmetrical braking does not affect anything at all… if anything it helps as it gives a more progressive brake.

Drag brakes were the first brakes fitted to unicycles… partly because they were so easy to set-up! You simply use a ratcheted bar end gear lever fitted in the end of a bar end clamped to your seat. Cabling is simple and clean, it is also stupidly simple adjustment/setup. It is best with canter-lever brakes, which also alleviate the leg catching problem and is by way and far the easiest brake to fit as it only requires a single 6mm hole drilled in the frame.

I was specifically talking about 36" wheels here,this is defiantly a problem with smaller wheels. It is certainly not as clean as Maguras, but feedback I have is that the V-brakes on a 36" is that they are not a major problem.

Along with having them at 1/5th the price. :slight_smile:

It is not that Maguras are not good brakes, they are, they are superb. Although they do have a couple of disadvantages and V-brakes are cheaper.

On a side point… I was talking to Amy Drummond and she was telling me that it is becoming progressively harder to purchase the long arm V-brakes needed for unicycles in the US. So there may not be a choice soon other than to use Magura’s.

Roger

How about this:

Short person’s coker frame (powder coated lilac/purple)
The rest of the UDC 36" unicycle
Black pinned pedals
Gel seat
Smooth tyre
140mm cranks
and, hopefully, GB4 handle.

Can’t wait

Cathy