Coker Discussion Thread

Mine dol. I don’t have a 36" though. Mine are a 24 and 29. Squeaks louder on the 24.

The way to stop brakes squeaking is to adjust them so that the pads/blocks are slightly closer to the rim towards the front (i.e. in the direction of travel) than at the rear.

Another option is to smear the rims with butter.:wink:

I’ll try the butter!

I keed, I keed.

Potato chipped wheel

I was just fixing a flat on my original steel coker big one. While pressing the tire back onto the rim, the wheel imploded/bent and now I have a 36 inch uneatable potato chip! Wheel was true with few miles on it.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

You mean you Dented your rim? It never happened to me on any of my uni. It only happened on my brother’s DH bike.

No, I mean the entire rim and wheel is completely warped, looks like it got hit by a car!

so you “Taco-ed” you rim?! how can you do that while putting the tire on?! I dont think it ever happenned to someone else, well, not me.

It took alot of pressure to get the tire over the rim…it’s never happened to me before on bike or unicycle. Maybe too much side pressure or it was just ready to go?

here’s a picture

taco.jpg

That is a sad picture.

There is a video around of Brian MacKenzie’s 36" wheel taco’ing while he was riding. I am not sure, but thought they were able to true the wheel again.

Look at this vid. The guy potato chips this rim and they just bend it back. I know the wheel is much larger but I would assume that the same rules may apply.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_2l8L6nJIs

Regarding My Taco’d Wheel

For anyone interested…

That Coker 36er wheel that I taco’d Did snap back into place. Though I never got it perfectly true, it ran.

But yesterday I got a new Coker wheelset and put it on today. The old Coker frame fit a 112mm (from outside edges of bearings) hub…I had to bend the forks to fit the superwide 142mm hub. I managed to tweak the forks enough to get it nearly centered…off by 1-2mm. It runs great. And it’s a little lighter with a 29er tire and aluminum rim.

Coker said it would fit. Either I have a older model that wasn’t superwide or it’s a coker copy. A sticker said “the big one” on it, came from UDC.

Cheers, Carl

IMG_0233.jpg

Well glad to hear the old one snapped back into place. Now you have an extra back up rim if you every need one.

I went to Maine with my Coker last week and ran into some trouble with the four screws that hold the frame to the bearings… They seemed to have been snapping in half one by one - rendering the uni unrideable - and the non-allen wrench side would be left inside the frame. Upon closer inspection, it seems the screws were rusted, although it has hardly, if ever, gotten wet. The people at the local bike shop were (luckily) enthused enough by the massive wheel that they fixed it free of charge. Has anyone else had similar issues?

It hasn’t happened on my 36er, but I’ve had the same thing happen to my 20er and 24er.

While the tabbed bolts provide a convenient way of tightening the nuts using a singular tool, they’re very cheaply produced.

I’ve since replaced the hardware on all my unicycles with grade 5 bolts, washers and nylock nuts. They don’t rust nearly as much, and they’ll never snap in your lifetime. The upgrade only cost me a handful of change.

I need two tools to install the bearing caps now, but the added reliability is worth the trouble, IMO.

I hate maggies on my nightrider

So, here I am with a new nightrider frame, and a pair of hs33’s that currently won’t work on my MUni. Rather than drilling my frame and fitting my caliper brake I decided to put the maggie’s on. I really don’t like them a bit. I had an Odyssey Pit Bull on my old Coker frame, and it was great. I had a v-brake on my 29’er, and had no complaints. I had the maggies on my old MUni, and it was great.

The maggies on the nightrider squeal really loud, and don’t give me predictable braking. I should say that this is after a 10 mile ride today, and so not the longest test. After the brakes that I have used it would be nice to have a v-brake on my nightrider. The adaptors that they no longer have in stock at UDC.UK seem like they would be a nice way to go. The real question is: why do the uni companies think everyone wants maggie’s? I can understand the clearance thing for MUni, but for just about everything else there seem to be better, and more varied options.

This turned into more of a rant than anything, so I’m sorry for that. Does anyone know a budget way to make a canti-adaptor for the maggie mount?

http://midwestbiketrials.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=173 use these : ) they have 2 mounting points on each braze on too, so they should be stronger! That’s what I’m getting in a few weeks when my new nightrider pro comes home! :smiley:

Those are really nice mounts, but I was hoping for something around $20. They are quite pricey for what they are.

hmm, interesting, they’ve gone up 5 dollars since I last checked.

Someone else mentioned going to a trials bike forum and asking for some used ones there, apparently trials guys know where to find these adaptors, and when they upgrade to maguras, don’t have anything to do with them.

That’s a good idea. I’ll bet used ones will work almost as good as new ones (sarcasm). I’ll try to hit up a trials forum.