Cobblestones

I’m moving to Prague at the end of the summer and am bringing my uni, but just realized that most of the streets are cobblestone. Think this will cause big problems? Will there be enough unicycleable terrain? Anyone have experience with cobblestone roads or with riding in Prague?

Justin

it might be a little tough on a 20 inch, but I think you should be fine, get a nice cushy tire

Re: Cobblestones

Implying that there is un-unicycle-able terrain?:slight_smile:

You should be fine… maybe drop your tire pressure to 25 psi or so if you bounce off any stones - lower pressure will help you roll over things better, as well as a wider tire.

Dave

Edit - What unicycle do you ride now?

Congratulations…Prague is a very cool city.

Cobblestone gets a little slippery when wet, and it has a tendency to be uneven in spots - This is especially true of “old Town” Prague - by the castle. The newer sections of town are not that bad, as many have asphalt over them. There are plenty of hills (on the outskirts of the city) to give you a workout, and riding around the countryside should give your spirit a lift.
If your just riding around the town, consider a 24" uni with a 2.125" or larger tire.

Keep us updated with your adventure…:slight_smile:

I remember seing some good trials vids from Prague, but I can’t remember where I found them or who made them. If you want to find out you could ask in the German forum.

Re: Cobblestones

“HistoricalGoof” <HistoricalGoof@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>
wrote in message
news:HistoricalGoof.1q6uv4@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com
>
> I’m moving to Prague at the end of the summer and am bringing my uni,
> but just realized that most of the streets are cobblestone. Think this
> will cause big problems? Will there be enough unicycleable terrain?
> Anyone have experience with cobblestone roads or with riding in Prague?
>

Dunno what Prague cobblestones are like, but the local roads with Victorian
cobbles around here are pretty nasty when wet, slippery, with the camber
effectivly changing every few inches. Difficult for me to ride on, for
an expert, obviously less so.

Nao

Teenagers are easy…after throwing the lump of meat through the bedroom
door just make damn sure you lock the bars properly back in place.

Thanks for the comments, gang. I have a 24" Torker LX, so perhaps I should get a bit of a wider tire before I go. (Does that require a new rim?) Sounds like there will be places to ride…I’d love to see the Prague trials video. I’ll check the German forum. I really can’t wait to get there. Should be a real blast. I got in touch with a unicyclist living in Ostrava that told me there’s a uni/juggling festival going on right after I arrive. I’ll definitely have to go check that out. I think this is going to be a great way to meet people over there.

Justin

You coukld probally stick a 2.2" tire in there, with out haveing to chang anything. The rims fine. You might get a 2.3 on it, my freind did that but he had to cut some of the side knobs off.

The torker 24" frame is pretty narrow so ur prolly not gonna be able to get as koosh of a ride as u may want. You can get some wider tires in there but its gonna have to be particular could be a hard fit. worse case scenario is you get a new uni i suggest the hookworm very koosh and does well at low pressures :smiley:

How versatile is a tire like the Hookworm? Can I take it into the woods or should it stay only on the street? It looks really cool and during this summer I’m looking to do a lot of 3 mile commutes to and from work. It might be the way to go. And it looks good for the cobblestones of my future as well.

i say you just go for it and buy the 29" KH or the Freeride, probabaly your best bet, just do that… youll be very happy you did, just one final blowout spend in america…

Chase

I live on a cobblestone round-a-bout here in NYC–one of the few cobblestone streets in New York–When I had the 3 inch Duro Leopard on my 26er, it was fun–the bumpy feel of the surface is funny and nice.

I disagree with burnitalltwice about the hookworm–the cobblestones sent me flying when I had the hookworm on my uni–then again, I had overall lousy luck with the hookworm–that tire seems to pick its riders and not the other way around!

Big knobby for cobblestones–watch out for the spots where the cobblestones were removed–they make deep nasty holes…

Haha…I’d love to, but unfortunately all my money is going to be spent just getting there and making sure I’ve got enough to make it until I start getting paid. Maybe I should start doing some unicycle advertising for some bucks on the side like that guy on ebay…