Clip - Trey Fakieflip

You’re right, I read that somewhere today.

I just put it together based on the term used for each individual part of the trick but now I’m wondering what riding backwards (fakie) and pulling a std flip is going to be called, will it be a fakie frontflip? as the role of the flips is now reversed due to it being against the direction of travel.

I’m thinking something like this:-

Any flip done in the same direction as the normal rotation of the wheel is just a flip.

Any flip done against the normal rotation is a back or front flip depending on whether you flip with your front foot or back foot.

Of course you could also call any flip against rotation a backflip regardless of the direction of travel but I thought maybe differentiating them based on your normal position on the unicycle may help avoid confusion, that’s why I was thinking Fakie frontflip cause then you just think to yourself riding backwards and flipping the cranks with your front foot.

Any thoughts from anybody?

Here is how I see it, hopefully it will clear up any confusion:

Crankflip = Riding forward and flipping the cranks forward
Back Crankflip = Riding forward and flipping the cranks backward
Fakie Crankflip = Riding Backward and flipping the cranks forward
Fakie Back Crankflip/Fakie Back/Fakie (back)flip* = Riding Backwards and flipping the cranks backward

So if you replaced the “crankflip” in Fakie Crankflip with “tre flip” you would get:

Fakie Tre flip (treyflip) = Riding Backwards and flipping the cranks forward while 360º unispining

If you replaced the “(back)” in Fakie flip with “tre/trey” you would get:

Tre(y) Fakieflip = Riding Backwards and flipping the cranks backward while 360º unispining

*I really don’t think the term “Fakie Flip” should be used, as it will just cause confusion. Saying Fakie Backflip or Fakie Back is much better if you are not going to use the full “Fakie Back Crankflip”.

I think we need a new name for backtreys or whatever you want to call them. In the skateboarding world the equivalent is called a “laser flip” (aka 360 pop shove-it heelflip) as shown in this video. The trick in your vid would then be a fakie laser flip, which sounds alot better and avoids confusion.

EDIT: Congrats on the trick by the way. I bet even Shaun J. didn’t land one of them yet.

How would naming it a lazer flip avoid confusion? Thats just adding more names that people won’t remember.

Why do we have the name trey flip in the first place? We could call it a 360 unispin crankflip. It’s just a way of shortening it so we don’t have to say such a long name. Also, it doesn’t have to be called a laser flip: it could have a more catchy name. Unicycling could do with more creative names. I think Luke (if he was the first to land it) should decide.

I really dig that name. But I dont know if I was first to land it.

Using all skateboarding names for unicycle tricks I think could add alot of confusion in that there are no frontside or backside in unicycling. You could call it a laser flip (360 frontside shov it + heeflip) or 360 inward heelflip (360 backside shov it + heelflip).

I think the naming system that has already been set up should be used.
Clip - Trey Fakieflip - #22 by skate4flip (my post above)

Here is a list of all these different flip/spin variations (regarding regular flips, hicks, and tres):

Full trick name/Shortened trick name
Crankflip = Riding forward and flipping the cranks forward
Back Crankflip = Riding forward and flipping the cranks backward
Fakie Crankflip = Riding Backward and flipping the cranks forward
Fakie Back Crankflip/Fakie Back/Fakie (back)flip* = Riding Backwards and flipping the cranks backward

180 Unispin Crankflip/Hickflip = 180 unispin + crankflip
180 Unispin Back Crankflip/Hick Backflip = 180 unispin + back crankflip
Fakie 180 Unispin Crankflip/Fakie Hickflip = Fakie 180 unispin + crankflip
Fakie 180 Unispin Back Crankflip/Hick Fakieflip = Fakie 180 unispin + back crankflip

360 Unispin Crankflip/Tre Flip = 360 unispin + crankflip
360 Unispin Back Crankflip/Tre Backflip = 360 unispin + back crankflip
Fakie 360 Unispin Crankflip/Fakie Tre Flip = Fakie 360 unispin + crankflip
Fakie 360 Unispin Back Crankflip/Tre Fakie Flip = Fakie 360 unispin + back crankflip

All the tricks already have a shortened name. Having two shortened names seems like it would be unnecessary.

True, but he is naming a trick that is just slightly different. If he landed a Somersault crankflip then by all means name it what he wants, but he did just land a variation of a Trey flip.

No offence Luke, it’s daaamn awesome and I dig it all the way to Ausland.

Mike

man unicycling has surpassed skateboarding in terms of being way way way too technical

Do we even have the authority to name tricks?

Wow… :astonished:
I hope i can learn those someday(gotta work crankflips first):frowning:

wow that sick luke!

The inventor has the right to name it. (Respect them as much as you’ld like) If Luke didn’t hit it first it would have probably been me (in was in the list of tricks to learn this spring, still is) I would have called it the same thing. So thank you luke for giving me more motive to learn it. Mad skill man, mad.

I called it trey flip cause I liked it. 360 unispin crankflip sounds lame, sorry, these tricks need names. Fakieflip (if you see that TOGETHER, it’s backwards with a backcrankflip)
Hick Fakieflip (Backwards, backcrankflip, 180 unispin)

Skate4Flip has got it down. That’s awesome

Luke, perfect name for teh trick I love it. Now try a treybackflip, haha, that would be really against flow.

If you see fakie and flip broken up (fakie hickflip) it’s pedaling backwards but teh flip will be foward. Fakie crankflip, fakie late flip, fakie 180 flip (lame).

180 fakieflip, will flow well, Usually any fakieflip trick will flow, while if fakie and flip is broken up it probably won’t flow at all, fakie late flip will though if done right. You’ll see that in the upcoming vid.

Frontside Backside, that’s why I named it Blind. Not everyone has the same blind. That’s fine, name it at first, when you get popular people will start to know your best side. You can usually tell though with footing. But not always (Isaac Lemasters is crazy like that, right handed right footed -Completely my opposite- but spins my way, which would be me spinning natural my unnatural way, weird.) People haven’t really gotten into blind or switch footed tricks yet. They are kinda coming up though.

One more thing, Fakie treyflip, has not been done, I hope it never is, it’s really lame and really awquard, it won’t flow, and will look like a static treyflip (also really lame). Trey Fakieflip, cool as hell, now that can be done down a set. He is the first to land them, I never went through with solid practice on them, and tomsey hasn’t ridden in awhile. Nicely done man.

-Shaun Johanneson

p.s. It’s ok if you have to do alittle thinking to understand what is going on. I still do, it’s tricky to catch on. I mean think, Blind Fakie 180 late flip. Weird. haha. (Actually now that I thought about it that wouldn’t be too hard. haha. It would be harder for me to do it normal)

p.s.s. I also spin Blind WAY better than spinning normal when pedaling fakie. Weird there too. Any one else have that?

im lost!
riding backwards and flip backward = ??? (name)
riding backwards and flip forward = ??? (name)

Fakieflip

Fakie Crankflip (lame don’t do it)

Ok to fakie lateflip though. Kinda styley if done right

Late fakieflip (never done yet)

The only problem I have with the current system for naming tricks is the prefix “fakie”. The term fakie is supposed to say that the rider is travelling backwards, and should have nothing to do with the direction of the flip. Thus the name “fakieflip” would be incorrect because in any other circumstance the suffix “flip” pertains to a normal (forwards) crankflip, as opposed to a backwards one. So in my opinion, all tricks should be named travelling forwards first, and when they are done backwards, “fakie” can be added to the front of the name, like in all other sports.

I don’t think Luke’s trick is really just a variation of a trey flip because it has a backcrankflip and it probably took just as much practice to land it as a normal trey flip would. What you said is like saying fakie backcranks (fakieflips) are just a variation of regular crankflip. If this trick was done forwards, I think it would need a name of its own.

I think you misunderstood my post. I support the use of shortened names like “trey flip.” I was trying to explain that we should not have tediously long names like “360 unispin crankflip.”

I was not contradicting what you said, but of what someone else said.

Flip does not describe a forward crankflip. It describes what the cranks are doing in no certain direction. Crankflip says forward (Fakie crankflip), backflip says backwards while pedaling forward, and fakieflip does backwards backwards. but instead of saying crankflip every time in the trick you put the fakie part to the front. Fakie 180flip instead of 180 fakie crankflip, and 180 fakieflip says it all, backwards pedaling, backwards flip, with a 180, to riding forward, that fact that we ride forward afterwards doesn’t matter for the 180 fakieflip, does 180flip change though we ride backwards after it?

Three things to know. Crankflip (Forward flipping) Backflip (Backflip riding forward), Fakieflip (backwards riding backwards)

Fakie crankflip if you like, but those are kinda lame.

-Shaun Johanneson

oh man why is this so difficult for people to understand it is very easy to understand.
ok ok here it is nice and easy…

[B]crankflip - ride forward, flip the cranks forward, land

backflip - ride forward, flip the cranks backwards, land

fakieflip - ride backwards, flip the cranks as if you were doing a backflip, land

i think this would be called a fakiebackflip - ride backwards, flip the cranks as if you were doing a crankflip, land.[/B]

im pretty sure thats what a fakiebackflip would be because if a fakieflip is flipping the cranks forward [ because you’re riding backward ] and a fakie backflip you’re doing as if its a normal backflip just fakie.
does that help?

Well yes, but that would only confuse people more to me, since it’s like two negatives. Just call it a fakie crankflip and never do it.

-Shaun Johanneson

Ha, why do you hate fakie crankflips so much? I think they could look cool if they were done right.