climbing hills

Tom, you know better than to compare unis to bikes :roll_eyes:

If we are in need of high end gearing more so than low end gearing, then why does this thread exist and why are we working so hard to make it easier to climb?

Right, so clearly there is a need for more low end gearing, but maybe there’s a better way to state it than by the desired ratio, possibly by using spin rate or rpm?

Bikers aim for 90-100rpm as an efficient spin rate, I tend to be a masher so my spin rate on bikes is more like 75-80, though I did enjoy heavy mash sessions in my youth, but after a five year stint carless and riding 10k or so a year, I learned to spin faster :wink:

I’m a fairly strong climber on a uni, but there are times when I need to recover while riding, just a little sit and spin, but if I don’t have the power to do so because I am too tired or because the climb is too steep, then I walk or stop to rest.

I’d prefer a lower gear over walking or stopping to rest, hence my interest in a step down geared hub.

Top end speed on a uni has never been an issue, I only ride as fast as I can “run out of a upd”.

After watching Terry climb that steep sidewalk, is it not obvious that we need a way to increase our cadence? What was the average cadence on that climb, 30-35rpm?

Imagine how it would have been if Terry could have spun at 60-70rpm…it would have been easier and more sustainable on a longer ride.

The same technique works on a unicycle; we call it the Funky Chicken.

Here is a map of the incline of a bunch of climbs in the area.

People get lots of stupid ideas about bikes, too.

Real men don’t use gears on bikes either ;):stuck_out_tongue:

Was so close to beasting the initial big hill on my morning ride, I am no where near warmed up as it is just around the corner from me. I pushed hard and got withing 50 meters of the top but my legs just gave out and i could barely stand up and almost threw up which is the measure of pushing yourself to the limit :p. I am sure I will do it next weekend. After a short bit of downhill I hit another longer but not quite as steep climb and did that with a lot of focus on my cadence rhythmically counting my pedal strokes so as not to stall out and force myself to stand up.

Overall was a fantastic ride dispute 35mph winds which was more physically demanding to tide against and compensate for than the hills :stuck_out_tongue:

Not sure how much harder a 36er will be on these hills with 165mm cranks as the pedal / wheel ratio is not much off my 29er setup so it is just the weight of the wheel that is different.

It doesn’t figure quite like that, not sure how to describe riding a 36er because it is so different from a 29". I’m sure you like it as you seem to like wierd stuff.

Maybe a car comparison is in order:

If a 29er is a Jeep, then a 36er is a Unimog…

Not a perfect comparison, so maybe make the Unimog out of aluminum, install tall skinny tires, add an eight track stereo, and paint it purple with pink flames… and bunnies, don’t forget the bunnies :smiley:

lol you been talking to my Mrs? :wink:

I don’t mind hard work and a bit of self flagellation on the old hills

wouldn’t a Penguin be a Unimog? :stuck_out_tongue: now there is a thought, would a smaller wheeled penguin be a good hill climber as you could gear it down?

I’m reminded of a famous quote that reflects my feeling about climbing, and extreme unicycling in general:

[I]“We don’t do these things because they are easy, we do them because they are HARD.”

• JFK
    [/I]

“We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things. Not because they are easy - but because they are hard.”

• JFK

I got that one memorized. I repeat that last part sometimes when talking about riding unicycles. We don’t do it because it’s easy.

True it’d be great if there were more gearing options w/ smoother shifting but i think there’s till things that could be done to improve ones climbing ability. (I’d have to start by free in way better shape and practice hills more).

I think it’d be like a runner in a race. First they’d make sure they were in good shape then constantly vary their pace.

I think this could be done on a uni to an extent. Start w/ a wheel/crank size that will allow you to cruise along or at a high rpm. I think that’s what stevio did one of his Whiteface races.

I remember in a swim class where I whent ~ 1/3 farther than I could in the same time at a relatively constant pace when we were made to frequently vary our speed (200 yds, 100, 100 back, 400 IM, pull 100, kick 100, etc). I realize this would be using different muscles, but I think using a slightly easier setup (smaller wheel/longer cranks) would make it easier to emphasize diff muscles.

practice practice practice. I will go out now and practice climbing hills. It helps tons and you feel great the next day