Chubby 27.5 tires

I unfortunately can’t go into much detail other than that I’ve loved my magic mary (with the strongest sidewalls and most sticky compund available) for that. (I don’t have the money to try out many tires)
Maybe @muni_ben can help out?

For a lot of grip, you need a tire with soft compound and aggressive tread. Typically, wider tires lack both.

You will get most grip using a downhill tire like Maxxis Assegai DH 3C Maxxgrip or Schwalbe Magic Mary Addix UltraSoft SuperDH. These only come in 2.5" width maximum.

@Anne_unicycle Your Minion DHF in 2.8" has a pretty good tread, but uses Dual Compound, which is a very hard compound and thus not very grippy. If you like to have a tire with 2.8" width and would like more grip, you could get a similar Maxxis tire (I personally prefer the Minion DHR) in 3C MaxxTerra or the Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.8 Addix Soft.

Wider tires like the Duro Crux or any fat tire will have less grip for typical riding conditions in Germany (I have ridden both).

3 Likes

I have both the Vee Trax Fatty (27.5x3.25) and a Kenda Havok (27.5x3.0) on unicycles. I really liked the Trax Fatty, but found it will spin if it gets too muddy. The havok has more aggressive knobs, but I have it on my freewheel, which I can’t really ride that well yet.

I’d recommend keeping an eye out on resale sites too. That’s how I found someone selling 2 new Havoks off their MTB for $20 total.

my number one is clearly the Surly Dirt Wizard. For me it is the most complete MUni tire. It’s not cheap, but still worth the money

Thank you very much Ben! That helps me a lot! Do you come from Germany? Where are you located? :see_no_evil:

Thanks for your recommendation!

That’s exciting to know. Thank you :relaxed:

I was living in Germany for a few years, now I’m in Zurich.

Confirmed its like a 3" as it’s approx 74mm wide at 2bar. Found it for a very reasonable 15€ so I thought it would be fun to try it as I just rebuild my 27.5" with a wide (45mm inner width) rim.

Conditions are very poor outside so I can’t comment on how it rides yet.

1 Like

Thank you Finn! That helped me… :grinning: