carbon fiber/aluminum frame

Just curious, are the 480g with the bottom half of the bearing holders or w/o? Very nice frame I have to say, but pictures from a decent camera would be cool :slight_smile:

No thats more like it :sunglasses:
Looks sweet, to bad my XTP is holding on for so long :wink:
Oh, and you do need a new pair of pantsā€¦

EDIT:
3 weeks of testing is a bit short though.
Good to see it so quick on the market, but what when they all fail on there owners?

It looksā€¦ TOO NICE!

glad to see you all like it. heres some answers for you guys.

-seat post size is 27.2
-weight is with everything, bolts and all. (no seat clamp though, we are still working on those :wink: )
-We have engineered this one to hold most of the same strength as the old prototype. it has the same amount of material in the crown and same wall thickness in the legs etc. so the 3 or so months of testing on the old prototype we feel aplies to this one as well. we have proven that the materials will hold, so this 3 weeks is really just to make sure the design is right. i will back up any frame that has fault or anything like that. I am not out to screw everyone over and make lots of money.

after riding it today i think the knurling might not be enough grip. the crown is really small so coasting and stuff is kind of awkward. so i think we are going to not do the knurling and include pre cut pieces of grip tape with each frame. should look really cool and grip alot better.

ps. yes i do need new pants. haha. many pairs of new pants. i tore a 2 foot hole in my other pants trying to do a 6ft up gap haha.

I was asking because I think the frames are usually advertised with their weight without bearing housings and bolts?! Correct me if Iā€™m wrong.

Now, when are the cf cranks coming ;)?

how big was the crown on the old frame? like how did it compare to say the kh frame?

my mom still lives down there so i will be there in august. just have him Pm me and we can go ride.

the crown was a little wider than my devil frame. now its a bit skinnyer. if you go back to about page five of this thread you will find some pics of the old crown. the new crown is about .75 inches slimmer than that one.

i was out testing in Salt Lake City tonight. the frame is amazing. i was trying some full varials. and ended up spinning a 540 every time on accident haha. tobad i didnt actaully land it. maybe when i put my street wheel together, i was trying it on my trials wheel. i will try and weigh my whole uni tomorrow and let you know how much it is. it will be amazing.

Correction on the question of weight. It was measured without the bottoms of the bearing holders. It gives us a more accurate reading for our purposes.

well cranks take alot more beating than frames, so im not so sure about carbon cranks. i dont want anybody to snap them and get hurt. but dont worry i have much better things in mind for cranks :wink: .

oh sorry i didnt know they measured it like that. when i was in there we measured everything but they finished the frame when i wasnt there so they must have done it the other way then. the thing about the bottom half of the bearing holders is that it doesnt really effect the frame itself. i think thats why they left it off. i will have to check but i think even with the bottom of the bearing holders it will still be under 500g, they are pretty slim.

well lets say the complete frame weights 480 gram
a normal kh frame weights 560 gram

i would not pay 350 dollars more for 80 grams less.

alsow i think you could make a slimmer crown design

right now the tubes pop into the crown
if you put the crown into the tubes like what you did on the bearing holders your crown will be much slimmer.

but keep up the good work
i like to see that people are designing new unicycle stuff;)

first of all, it would be a 250 dollar increase. Second of all, 80 grams is quite alot of weight for a frame to lose, if you really want to lose weight in a trials unicycle get lighter everything in addition to a lighter frame. 80g here and there adds up in the end.

my mistake on the dollars living in a euro country i made the mistake by putting one dollar to one euro:p in fact the euro is way higher than the dollar:D

but iā€™am not saying its not worth the cash
for the 80 grams

alsow i think the crown design could be improved to make it even bether.:wink:

offcourse when mainly riding trials you want to cut of weight on all parts.
but lets weight a unicycle seat.

thats a mayor part you can cut of weight.
(just an example)

pedals are the best place to cut weight, then the hub, then the saddle, then the frame.

Another problem with this is you should compare it to the longneck, not the normal kh frame. They weighed a longneck cf frame, and you can choose the length of the neck. If you want, you could probably get a 440g frame if the neck is as long as the normal kh. (Am I right about this, Jarin?)

The hub is probably the least important actually. The saddle isnā€™t very important either :p. (in my opinion)

Here are the weight priorities in my opinion:

-Outer wheel (rim + tire)
-Pedals + Cranks
-Frame
-Spokes
-Saddle
-Seatpost
-Hub

But really, the top three are VERY important, and then after that a bit less weight would be nice but not too big a deal.

Pele, you are absolutely right about the weight. A shortneck frame would probably weigh in about 30 grams less, maybe more. You also need to factor in the strength of the frame when comparing weights. With this design, we didnā€™t want to sacrifice structural integrity for increased weight savings. Also, in regard to the crown design, we inserted the carbon into the aluminum for structural strength purposes. Having the aluminum insert into the carbon would increase the stress on the joint, and we were more concerned with the strength of the frame.

if anything i think its the outer extremeties of the uni that make the difference. the hub is the central pivot point. having a lighter pivot does nothing to the feel of the uni. but things like cranks pedals and seat are verry important. i would say in trials the seat and frame are most important for sif purposes

you also have to take into cosideration that even with the bottom of the bearing holders we should still be at or close to 500. with KHs full frame it weighs in at 650+ (ive heard 680 for long neck) so its more of a 150-200 gram savings. also they are verry strong. i broke a reinforced seat post today. it crumpled the reinforcement piece before doing anything to the neck. i will have pics later if you want.

The carbon frame is longneck.EB frame = 480 grams Kh longneck frame = 680grams.So thats a 200 gram weight saving