Can v-brakes fit around a 3" tyre?

I’ve heard from at least one person that you can’t get any v’brakes that’ll fit around a 3" wide tyre. Is this true?

Thanks,
Andrew Carter

Re: Can v-brakes fit around a 3" tyre?

I’ve seen V brakes on a muni so it is possible. I’m sure it would require some modifications to the V brake and that some brands might fit better than others. I think Kris was using a V brake on one of his early muni designs.

But you don’t want to use V brakes. Your knee and leg will rub against the brake as you ride. With V brakes that will cause one of brake arms to engage and cause the brake pad to rub on the rim. You don’t want that to happen. What is really nice about the Magura hydraulic brakes is that you can rub your knee and leg on the brake cylinder without causing the brake pad to engage the rim. If you’re going to try brakes you gotta go with Magura.

Aren’t V-brakes like asking for a flying UPD?
Sorry, it just seems pretty wild. . .

Yeh, but I’m spending so much on this custom unicycle of mine that there won’t be any money left over for Maguras. Brakes aren’t that neccessary are they? Aren’t they just to make things more comfortable?

Andrew

Brakes? Pah! I laugh in the face of brakes. You want to stop, then stop pedalling so fast, man! We don’t need no stinkin’ brakes.

Just my opinion… :stuck_out_tongue:

Phil, just me

Brakes aren’t that necessary but they do make terrain that is otherwise impossible to ride conquerable (and they save your knees and muscles a bit too).

My recommendation would be to get your frame built with brake bosses and then add the brakes at a later stage. I don’t ride with brakes and while it does mean there is approximately 1% of the trails I can’t ride that doesn’t worry me to much.

A brake can actually be a hindrance in trials type riding as it is just another thing to dig into your leg during UPDs. Tony’s brake lever keeps on getting shorter as sections snap off during nasty dismounts.

I have tried the Magura and it is soooo smooth. They are a joy to ride with and I agree with John that this would be preferable to a V brake. You do have to make some modifications to fit it over a 3" tyre. Tony will be able to fill you in on the info if you decide to go with that option.

As to cost, you usually buy them in pairs which means it is worth finding someone else who wants one. You can buy a pair of two for $208 AU from ground zero in New Zealand. Postage would be extra. Ground zero also stock Gazzalodi tyres if you want one of those. Their prices are very reasonable and you don’t have to pay NZ gst if ordering from overseas which makes them even better value. See www.groundzero.co.nz for more information.

I will probably be getting a Magura brake for my Coker so if you do want one rather than two get in touch with me.

Re: Can v-brakes fit around a 3" tyre?

I really recommend you put off adding brakes until you can afford the
Maguras. You’ll do perfectly well without them, and in my opinion, adding
the V-brakes is a waste of time and money. Wait however long it takes, then
go all the way. It will be an awesome upgrade then.

—Nathan

“andrew_carter” <andrew_carter.dyy9a@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in
message news:andrew_carter.dyy9a@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> Yeh, but I’m spending so much on this custom unicycle of mine that there
> won’t be any money left over for Maguras. Brakes aren’t that neccessary
> are they? Aren’t they just to make things more comfortable?
>
> Andrew