Calling ALL UK RIDERS

Please make your nominations (PERSONS OF UK ORIGIN) for the following awards:

UK Muni Rider of 2003

UK Uni-hockey Player of 2003

UK Trials Rider of 2003

After 8th December, (is that sufficient time?) a poll will be set up for you to vote for the winner from the top five people who were nominated in each catagory.

UK Muni Rider of 2003 = Roger Davies
UK Trials Rider of 2003 = Joe Baxter

What about freestyle?

Ok ur missing out Freestyle Grrr

Trev

Ok Trials im going to vote for Joe because i think hes improved alot
Freestyle : Jack. Sorry Jack dont know ur last name. won Buc freestyle comp.

and i dont know about the others

Trev

can you vote for yourself! :stuck_out_tongue: (only joking)

and can you only vote for more than one person??? :stuck_out_tongue:

Trials: Trev and Simon Mc
Freestyle: Leigh and Trev
Muni: dont know
Hockey: Tall Paul and Simon

If you can only vote for one, take my first answer

Thanks guys! :smiley:

Joe,

Simon,

Will there be a trials competition next year?
How about a marked Muni competition?

I think the UK unicycle trials and Muni championship sounds cool! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m sure there will be quite a few up for that!

Oh, btw… I am keeping tracks of the scores in Excel. I am adding votes as people post them…
I shall create graphs and put them in a gallery (with updates) once there has been a decent number of voters.

Joe,

Nominations

Yes - your right there should be a catagory for Freestyle but we dont want too many otherwise it might get out of hand.

Joe, perhaps we should be able to nominate two but when we work out the top five and start the poll, you obviously could not vote for more than one in each catagory. Thanks for colating the nominations for me.

Off topic - (Cumbria Muni) I am just about to send out a newsletter (probably a link to the newsletter on the website)which will have details of the new club hoodies and t-shirts, night-rides on Skiddaw etc.

The trials comp. is a bit of a problem unless this year it is totally urban or a muni-trials comp. The muni-trials would be a combination of individual trials stages and a small number of longish muni stages including very steep and technical, all marked of course. Although based in principle on the IUF trials rules we could also include either a separate timed course or timing all of them either in all rounds or by way of a jump-off (as in Show Jumping) at the end.

We also need to get a local sponsor for somesort of prize/cup to go with the acolade.

We had better all discuss this in detail soon - the arrrangements need to be made.

Simon

No problems Simon, i like collecting the data.

It would be cool to have one before Christmas. I have my mocks next week, for two weeks. We break up on the 19th, I don’t know if that is too late.

Instead of people saying who they think is the best rider(s) we should have a good competition some time.
All the ones you suggest sound good!

It would be good to have one, if not this year, early spring next year, when the weather is getting better.

I will email after you have sent out the newsletter.

Joe,

we need some more…cumon

hockey-joe b

Muni - don’t pick anyone, Muni is not for competing but for doing.
Hockey - Greatest newcomer definately Joe, best overall John Dash.
Trials - Simon, he out jumps everyone and then gets all shy and goes away.
Freestyle - Trevor, not dought in skill level but not in grace!

me :slight_smile:

Doing?

Roger said “Muni is not for competing but for doing.”

They are all for doing Roger!! The idea for the accolade is for the most oustanding rider of the year in that catagory.

However, there is no reason why you cannot make a reasoned judgement as to whether one rider is more capable than another in muni just as you can in any other non-competitive sport such as rock-climbing.

Therefore the accoldade ‘UK Muni rider of the year’ has as much validity as Trials or Freestyle Rider of the Year.

On the same subject there is no reason why you cannot ‘test’ your muni skills against another person in a competition. The rules of which would be similar to that of trials ie you are rewarded for not falling off!

Simon

Re: Doing?

That’s silly though. You’re just describing a natural trials competition. Muni is about more than just technical riding skills. You’re not measuring endurance, speed, smoothness and flow, ability to drink pints, uphill strength, ability to ride in the rain without whinging all the time, or any of the other that are a part of being a good muni rider.

I think this whole thing is a bit meaningless though, because there are loads of really good riders who aren’t known by many people on here. I think the best trials rider I’ve met doesn’t post on here and the best hockey players I’ve met (from Lunis) don’t post here and mostly don’t go to unicycle events either. This forum/newsgroup only has a small proportion of the riders on it.

Joe

ITS SILLY

Joe Marshall said
“That’s silly though. You’re just describing a natural trials competition. Muni is about more than just technical riding skills.”

Chill Winston…
Do not jump to conclusions, if you ask all would be revealed.

What I was describing was not ‘a natural trials comp’, but something much more. As far as I am aware, trials comps are not over a continual distance of for example 5 miles but split into staged obstacles.

As Joe Baxter said when he went off topic:
"Instead of people saying who they think is the best rider(s) we should have a good competition some time. "

Joe Marshall said:
"You’re not measuring endurance, speed, smoothness and flow, ability to drink pints, uphill strength, ability to ride in the rain without whinging all the time, or any of the other that are a part of being a good muni rider. "

Joe, do you believe you cannot design a competition that tests for almost all of those things, (perhaps even the ability to ride in the rain that you appear to value so much).

As regards, what percentage of riders read this forum, where do these brilliant riders hang out when on line then? The UUU forum does not exactly seem to be buzzing at present.

However, dont get too carried away… if you think either a forum based vote or taking part in a muni competition is silly - please feel free to not take part.

Simon Rolph

Re: ITS SILLY

I don’t know about other things, but none of the really good hockey players I know post on here, except Rocket sometimes. I suspect they’re just not computer nerdy types.

I’d be well up to have a go in an all round muni competition. I reckon the most important thing any true muni competition should have is a drinks for minutes rule, where you get extra points for each drink before the race.

Come to the singlespeed UK championships (or the world ones in Germany) next year, they run great ‘competitions’.

Joe

Joe M,
Thanks for the advice - I am very glad you will consider coming - I should point out that what we had in mind (and what Joe B was originally refering to) was a small Open Club (CM&TC) competetion not the UK Championships Joe B mentioned. I think he was just suggesting we (the UK) should hold a National Comp. to see who realy can hack it.

If I can get to Germany or France next year, I do hope to go to one of those competitions. I got very excited reading Joe R’s post about the Comp. in Germany. I think I could learn a lot from some of these comps. Where is the UK Singlespeed Comp held? and is there a website please?

In my opinion, the results of a Forum based vote should be seen only as a bit of fun. The validity of the result if very dependent upon the number of people who vote and how well informed they are. One of the problems with unicycling is the geographical density of riders across the UK. Without many more people taking part to provide or support nominations, perhaps we should give up the idea anyway. Apathy Rules!

I have not nominated anyone because I have not seen enough people ride to compare them, although, I am very impressed with Joe B’s trials skills and I hear Rocket is brilliant at Hockey.

Joe M - Why dont you nominate those you have mentioned, in their absence?

Simon Rolph

Simon, if you havent seen to many riders this year, dont you think its a bit late on trying to get a rider of the year, maybe next year at various differnt unimeets we could have such compitions. I have been to a few unimeets this year but not enough and i havent met all the main riders in the uk yet so i cannot make the judgement who is the best or who has improved the most in the year.

Trev

Correct!

The CM&TC competition would be great fun - i cant wait!

To take part in a National would be awsome! But it would take along time to organize, and a sponsor would be needed! Maybe something to think about for the future though!

Joe (B),

Trev - I think the idea was everybody nominates who they think fits the bill. I was merely explaining why I have not nominated anyone. This should not stop others from nominating - but as I said earlier - there has been very little repsonse - look at the number of people who have viewed the post compared to those who have taken the trouble to nominate. Apathy rules.

Simon

Re: Calling ALL UK RIDERS

unicycleboy <unicycleboy@noemail.message.poster.at.unicyclist.com> wrote:

> Ok Trials im going to vote for Joe because i think hes improved alot
> Freestyle : Jack. Sorry Jack dont know ur last name. won Buc freestyle
> comp.

I think you will find that the boy who won the Freestyle comp at BUC10 was
Lucus Wintercrane.
will you be competing at BUc11 in the next UK freestyle comp.

SArah

Union of UK Unicyclists
By and for UK riders