California Mountain Unicycle Weekend, Sept. 17-19

Cabin #2 available, thanks to Scot Cooper!

Scot is booking the second cabin. Details to follow. Now we have more room at the inn for people who like hot water and a bed.

As usual, if you are requesting cabin or floor space it must be done by sending an email to me (address below). The registration forms are not for housing requests. Also, if you haven’t already (most of you haven’t), it will be very helpful if we know what days you will be arriving and leaving. Please fill me in on this. I’m passing all the relevant information along to Lloyd and Scot. Thanks!

Climbing? Does that mean I should bring my climbing shoes, ropes, quick draws and harnesses? j/k, but I’ve been wanting to combing rock climbing w/mountain unicycling…

-corbin

Web site nearly complete!

All right Corbin, you are truly one of us, a uni-nerd. One definition of a nerd is someone who purposely chooses the wrong definition of a word and throws it back at you. Why do we do it? :roll_eyes:

Anyway, check out the web site. I have almost everything up there. Cabin directions, photo gallery, and a more detailed schedule to follow. And details about the competitions:

Don’t forget to print out the directions pages!

WHY IT PAYS TO PRE-REGISTER

Two things: If you don’t register by 9:30 am on Friday, Sept. 17, you will be too late to get a discount lift ticket. That will cost you $33 instead of $25. Also, the T-shirts are only $15 on the registration form. They will be more at MUni Weekend, $18 or $20 depending on final cost.

New Photo Album Up

I have just posted 20 pictures from our pre-MUni Weekend ride. Spectacular shots of the scenery with cool unicyclists in the foreground:
http://unicycling.smugmug.com/gallery/216597

I’ll be adding it to the Photo Gallery page today. Also hoping to get the cabin directions posted. I know I have to finish the Street rules as well, but nobody seems to care about those. Got to come up with something though… :thinking:

Check the web site if you haven’t, almost everything is now up there.

John,

Since the details of the 2nd cabin have not been post yet, can you at least say whether or not it is available for Sunday night?
I am assuming not since I hadn’t been contacted, but I know there are a few people who are wondering.

Thanks,
Scott

Sorry Scott, looks like your group are the only ones needing Sunday night so we’re saving the larger group some $$ by not booking it. As it turns out, the final cost is still up in the air until we get our final numbers. We need a few more people to bring it back to $100 each. I think. There was some discrepancy on cabin #1 as they only had us down for two nights, and not that I’ve got that straightened out, I’m waiting to find out if the total was correct, or if it’s going to be more.

Anyway, you have invites either to my house, which puts you 1/2 hour from the Sacramento airport, or Lloyd’s. Gilby will be riding with me, and will also be going to the Sac airport on Monday. You’re welcome to join us. We have beds for 3 guests, a wide couch, and some sleeping bags. And towels. And plenty of hot water!

Cabin members

Ummm, so, there I was sitting down after breakfast this morning in deep thought… and I realized that with 15 or so people in a cabin and two bathrooms, should one bring an extra roll of TP in their car for just in case…?

John?

Re: Re: The trails are amazing!

If you get an award I’ll pick something out for you and drop it off at your place on my way up I-5.

Just don’t complain to me if you end up getting John Foss’ old 8 track tape player as a prize. :slight_smile:

Re: Re: Re: The trails are amazing!

i still havent plugged in the casette player i won (last prize on the table)

i hope this year to win a record player. one of those portables in their own self contained suitcase would be choice.

Re: Re: Re: The trails are amazing!

Hey that’s not nice. If I had an 8-track player, I surely would have given it out at a previous MUni Weekend by now.

The record player-in-a-suitcase is mine. I’m keeping it.

George Barnes has sent two seat handles (right-handed). Both Darren Bedford and Unicycle.com are sending stuff. Now it just needs to get to my house in the next three days (and not require a signature)!

Plus there will be at least one Harper Hottie T-shirt, a 2003 MUni Weekend shirt, a Unicon XII shirt, and other fabulous prizes from “John’s discount basement.” My house has no basement.

And yes, a little extra TP is never a bad idea. I imagine we’ll be making a grocery store run after arriving to get breakfast and lunch materials.

Howdy all,

Eyal and I will be driving up to Tahoe on Tuesday. Between then and Thursday we’ll be taking advantage of having a nice place away from our lives here in SB to study and get some work done. However, if anyone is going to be in town early, it would be fun to gather for dinner or hanging out for a bit in the evenings. I don’t want to post my cell phone number on the web but if you know you’re going to be around, email me and I’ll send it to you.

matt

Matt, before it’s too late, you should obscure your email address in your message footers. Web spiders will pick it up and then you’ll be getting way more email that you want! Change it to something like mine below.

I don’t know anyone arriving in town before Thursday except Lloyd and Scott Burleson, who live there.

Matt I live in Reno, so If you want to hook up for a ride in reno before the CMW email me: catboy@gmail.com and maybe we could ride

Note: I can’t head up to tahoe during the week so it would have to be in Reno

“Cool” weather predicted, camping recommended

First a heads-up on the early weather forecasts for Truckee, CA. On Weather.com they have this:

Friday: Sunny, 75/33
Saturday: Scattered showers, 30% 63/27
Sunday: Few showers, 30% 62/24

Quite a bit cooler than two weekends previous! Going by their graphics, “scattered showers” is less than “few showers.” Let’s hope for no showers. This would likely be the first rain the area has had in months, and will help a lot with the fire danger. But I’d rather it wait until Monday.

The most important factor of the above forecast is to remind everyone that it will be cold at night, and in the mornings. You will need warm stuff to dress in, and possibly removeable layers for the rides. 30% is acceptable on chance of rain, though is a lot higher than we’re used to this time of year.

Campers prepare:

Meanwhile, along with the cooler forecast, Lloyd Johnson is recommending that people with the option to camp out in the yard be prepared to do so. The carpeted floor space in the house is gone, so it’s all hardwood floors. Your camp setup might be better. There is also the garage/workshop and one or two other outbuildings on the property, so don’t worry if you don’t have a tent.

Bundle up!

More about the situation at Lloyd’s house

Many of you requested floor or yard space at Lloyd Johnson’s house. Just wanted to give you an update on what to expect:

• There are way more people than there will be hot water for. At this point, basically the price of your stay doesn’t include it.

• Carpeted floor space is used up. There is a large workshop and a couple of other outbuildings on the property, but all with wood floors.

• People who are equipped to sleep in tents or their cars may be more comfortable at night.

• Don’t forget towels and bedding materials.

• Lloyd’s family is not going to feed you. But as a group, there are many possibilities of how you might deal with meals.

• It is still possible to upgrade to the cabins! (see below)

• This is who signed up so far, in rough order of who signed up first:
    Ben Plotkin-Swing & Joey Cohn (first)
    Corbin Dunn & Louise Woollen (can camp)
    Daino
    Jess Riegel
    Zack Baldwin
    Ryan Atkins
    Andy Jennings (Friday only)
    Mike Middleton
    Bevan Gerber-Siff
    Erik Doane
    Dan Heaton
    Jason Heimann (can camp)
    Ashley Foster (can camp, Fri. only and possibly Thurs.)
    Scott Bond (can camp)

• If your name is not on this list, you probably never requested floor space. Erik requested space for him and another unnamed person, but never got back to me on who that was. I don’t know if that person is on the list now or not.

• The point is, Lloyd’s is basically full.

However at the cabins, we still have several beds left. Right now we have 18 in beds and 3 on the floor, which will come out to approximately $125 each for the bed people, and about a third of that for the floor. Each additional person will bring the price down, and these people get hot water!

As always, contact me, via the email address below, if you would like to add yourself to either list!

What time does the ride start on friday?

John did you get my preregistration my name is BRIAN LUNDGREN

What is llyods address?
Brian

Re: “Cool” weather predicted, camping recommended

praise budda!

Re: “Cool” weather predicted, camping recommended

Eyal, Julian, and I can verify this. We just arrived @ 8:00 and it was already in the low 50’s. Brrrrrrr. Big difference from the 90’s that we experienced the entire trip through the valley!

matt

You guys are already there?! No fair - we still have to work a day and a half! Have a great time and see you Thursday evening. The weather forecast for Saturday night calls for 25 degrees! It will be a great change from that last Santa Barbara ride!!

—Nathan

For those of you with these and similar questions, please check out the web site. It was a lot of work and has pretty pictures!
http://www.unicycling.com/muni/2004

If you have questions about anything that’s not on the web site, I highly recommend sending me an email, using the address below (not my work email address).

Yup, you are registered. And according to my spreadsheet you are staying in a hotel or “other.” Hope this is correct.

EVERYBODY PLEASE NOTE: I will not have Internet access after around noon on Thursday (unless someone can hook me up with their dialup account in the cabin). Send your questions now (to my email address), or use the cell phone (number on the web site maps pages).