Busking today and all for the nxt 2 weeks

no, you don’t get $19 a month. that 5.35% is annual interest that’s probably compounded monthly, so .445833% interest a month or $1.69 a month, sort of. it will get fractions of a cent bigger each month because the interest is added to your account and that interest can gain interest the next time your interest is compounded.

That isn’t actualy 19 Dollars a month, its more like 19 dollars a year. The interested is calculated on a yearly basis but they put money into your account every month. It sounds wierd but it will make more sense when you take grade 11 math.

Also for the KH Nimbus thing, I would again recomend the KH because it is the best you can get, that way even if you get out of unicycling, maybe a couple years later (when you understand how to sell things online) you will still be able to sell it for more than a nimbus.
Plus while you have it, it will still be better than a Nimbus.

Buying a unicycle is like investing in something and the KH is a better investment. The Nimbus is cheap and pretty good but the KH is better and there is less to think about because you shouldn’t need to upgrade.

permits and working with the council really is a waste of time.

just be dangerous and go busk without a permit. nobody can do anything about it. the police or gauds might ask u to move on but thats about it.

exucse my spelling mistakes, im intoxicated.

Putting on a different set of cranks isnt to hard to think about.

New cranks, seatpost, frame, pedals, rim, rim tape, seatpost clamp and seat. Thats alot more. Yes with the cranks its pretty similar, but there are alot of upgrades on a KH uni that alot of people overlook.

Also alot of people are probably going to bug in here and say the Rim has holes and isn’t good, well for one this is a 13 year old, so its probably better that he has something lighter and more steady, than having something that is a bit stronger (plus both rims are still very very strong, if you look at how many people on the forums have actualy busted them with a proper wheelbuild compared to the amount of users who have never even harmed one then you will see they are good rims)

So there are alot of upgrades that are done to a KH that will make it lighter, and easier to use for someone smaller, also the fact that it has a better resale value and that aluminum requires less maintenance than steel (rust), make it a better uni for someone that might not know what they are doing.

i play it safe and do the RITE thing…

And that’s a good :sunglasses: … It’s never easy to do the right thing, Kudos to you , young man…

I’d love to do this but I have too much fear of being mugged or having all my money stolen by chavs; especially in town :astonished: .

As I think I mentioned before, I agree you should go for the KH esp. if it just meens a couple more days of busking.

1. A KH is slightly lighter (0.1 Kg.) than a stock Nimbus (switching the cranks to Moments will up it by maybe an once or two). The rim is wider, decreasing the air pressure you can run w/o getting pinch flats or the tire rolling off the rim.

2. A 36" uni may be pretty big for you for a while still. You could prob still ride one now w/ short cranks and/or cutting the neck of the frame. Shorter cranks will increase potential top speed, but make mounting it and riding hills harder as well as a bit more difficult to control.

Street Performing Tips

First, I’d say go with the KH as you won’t be dissapointed.

Second, I’d like to give my 2 cents for street performing. I actually just started doing it myself about 2 months ago and am loving it. I quit my full time nice paying engineering job because after 3 years of working 9 to 5 in front of a computer writing plans and reports and a bunch of other boring stuff I got sick of it and it felt more like jail than anything. Let’s just say quiting was the best thing I’ve done besides moving down to California and of course getting into unicycling. But then again I’m not trying to tell everyone to quit there jobs and street perform as it’s not for everyone.

It was indeed very intimidating to first start out and actually try it for the first time. But it only gets easier and easier the more you do it. I watched a lot of Venice Beach street performers to get tips on what I needed to do. There are some really good performers there who make a ton of money!! So after taking some tips and “stealing”/“using” some of their funny lines, I came up with my own little 10-15 minute show.

This is what my show consists of:
-Push my 12 foot uni around to start drawing interest and then I start out juggling torches to draw a crowd (music “Eye of the Tiger” aka Rocky Theme) although now they won’t let me do torches anymore so I just juggle clubs instead. Stop juggling, do a kickup mount and then continue juggling on the uni. Lay one club down and then jump over it. Reach down and pick it up and juggle some more on the uni.

-Then I thank the crowd and tell them to move in closer and to make as much noise as they can on the count of three (as a crowd creates a crowd). I then proceed to tell them that I will be riding the 12 foot unicycle in just a few minutes so stick around.

-I put on a cool/funny wig and some aviator sunglasses and then turn on “Stayin Alive” music. I wheel walk and then wheel walk one footed. Then I do this trick where I end up standing on the uni, do some funny stayin alive moves and proceed to do this unique mount thing (hard to explain). Ride seat in front and do a seat in front drop/stall thing. Then I do two 180 uni spins and then hop on wheel. I then jump rope which people LOVE for some reason even though it’s not that hard.

-I take a bow and thank the audience. Then I say I need a volunteer for my next trick. I have the volunteer sit down and I put a funny “safety” helmet on him/her and proceed to jump over thier legs (after making a few jokes like “I’ve only landed on someones legs once…this is my second attempt!” or “don’t worry I’ve never gotten hurt doing this!”). I also say "I’m just gonna put on some good luck music (aka “Another One Bites the Dust”) and give it a try. I thank the volunteer and give him a dollar for helping out (shows you care and gives the hint to people watching that you should tip).

-Then I say “in just one minute I will ride the 12 foot unicycle as the grand finale but first I’m gonna show you a few more advanced tricks”. I put on “Where is the Love” by the Black Eyed Peas and do seat drag in front, crank idle while clapping to the beat to get everyone clapping, cross over, 360 uni spin and then finally riding with my hands backwards.

-Take another bow and thank the audience. Then say “and now what you all have been waiting for. Who wants to see me ride the 12 foot unicycle?”. No matter how loud they are I say they can do better so let’s try it one more time. Ask again and they are almost always a lot louder. But I still say “I’ll do it anyways” in a sarcastic voice like no one clapped. I ask for two volunteers to help me out and then continue to set them/it up against a pole.

-Come back and tell the audience “I would like to remind everyone I am working for tips and donations. I appreciate anything you give, from a quarter to a dollar, to five dollars, even a 20 dollar bill would be nice…although it never happens! And don’t worry if you don’t have any cash on you…no problem…cause there is a cash machine right over there! Also, I have fallen once and I broke my leg (I have fallen but only bruised my heel but it sounds much better to say broke my leg and builds up the danger of it) so I’m going to change my tips sign to Insurance Funds! Last but not least because I know how street shows go, as soon as I get down all of you are going to turn and walk away and I’ll get stuck with only making a buck or two…therefore I am going to come around and collect money now. And if I get enough money, I’ll try to juggle up there as well. I thank you in advance.” Then I go around and collect money.

-Then I say “Well thanks guys, that is the end of my show. :slight_smile: You actually thought I was crazy and was going to try and ride that thing?! OK, so I wouldn’t really do that to you guys so wish me luck here goes nothing. If you didn’t tip the first time around, the bucket will still be here after the show and I do thank you in advance. Wish me luck…here goes nothing.”

-Put on this climatic music and my orange “safety” helmet. Climb up the 12 footer, ride it around, act like I’m going to fall into the crowd and then start smiling and tell them “I get people all the time for some reason”. Then I idle one foot, extended and cross legged. Since the crowd usually doesn’t clap I’m like “Not impressive? Wow, you guys are a tough crowd! Maybe you’ll like this one” and proceed to do a really fast nice spin a couple times around until they start clapping. Then I say “last but not least these razor sharp clubs!” and juggle up there. Take a bow and then climb back down the pole.

-Announce “that is the end of my show…have a wonderful day…and thanks for watching”. Then I take a bow and stand with my bucket while Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin” is playing. I thank all the people that tip and give high fives to the kids. And that’s my show!

Wow, longer than I had planned to write but that’s the jist of it. So far so good. I make anywhere from $10 to $70/hour and it’s not even summer yet!! I’ve heard that come summer if I’m good I can make $100-$200 per hour and I believe it! It all depends on the weather, where I do it, when I do it, and how big of a crowd I can get. Basically the nicer the weather and on the weekends is the best. Lucky for me I live in Huntington Beach and I can do it just a few minutes from my house, right in front of the pier by the beach. Since Huntington Beach is a pretty big tourist destination (disneyland is close by as well as lots of other tourist things) I usually do pretty good. I just started doing weekends and it’s been really good. Some times I take turns if there is another performer. He’ll do his thing, then I’ll do mine, etc.

I’ve tried going up to Venice Beach and doing it but it actually went better down here plus I don’t have to worry about the vetern street performers that let’s just say did not like me at all and harrassed me all day long. That and I’d rather drive 10 minutes than drive over an hour to get to Venice.

OK, so anyways after all this rambling here are my suggestions and tips
-The key is to build a crowd as a crowd creates a crowd. Get them to clap, cheer and scream. Also, have them move in close as possible to you. Building a crowd is by far the hardest thing of street performing.
-Make the crowd laugh as much as possible. The more they laugh the bigger the tips will be.
-I use an Amp Can which is a portable amp. I use a microphone so I’m loud and everyone can hear me and then I also have my iPod hooked up to it for the music. A portable amp is key if you have large crowds and music really adds to the show.
-The nicer the weather, the more people!
-Weekends are ideal.
-Location is also key as you want to be in a good location where lots of people are coming and going (aka the pier by the beach is a great one).
-Asking for tips before the grand finale will definitely give you more tips.
-Being kind and nice to your audience is a good thing. Thank them!

Hope this helps…sorry for the HUGE post. :o Feel free to use anything from my performance that you want…just don’t come to Huntington Beach and try and steal my show! :wink: My main point is that I’m ten times happier now doing what I love vs. being stuck at my engineering job. So I think with street performing and my new unicycle shop, www.uniproshop.com, I will make it and have fun doing it!

sweet.

im not that advanced in speaking to a massive crowd and doing funny things so yea but thanks.
and u said u sat infront of computers at your old job, how the heckdid u get all the skills in talking to an audiance and all?

Day 4

Activity- just unicycling
time- only 2 hrs (i was and my legs were very tired today?!..)
Money made- $77 (for only 2 hrs =] !)
crowd- very good
weather- O.K.
Notes- none

TOTAL for the 4 days so far-

bout $350.00 (AUD- australian dollar) or (AUS)

alltogether in my bank acc i got —

$459 (lets just say thats $460 for easier working out onwards)

460 and 200 (fo my b day) thats - – - - - - - — - $660, the kh is on sale for $650.00 +the postage and billing its $683.30 (lets just say thats $683 too.)

say i made 50$ for day 5 i got then -----710
27$ extra

60$ --------------720
ive got 37$ xtra

70$ --------------730
47$ xtra

80$ --------------740
57$ extra

90$---------------750
67$ extra

$100-------------760
77$ extra

110$-------------770

87 $extra
120!$?.!----------780

97 extra dollars
now mum said that if i needed anything else should we put a bit more money (maybe 30 or 50$)
towards something like kh leg armour (110$)

should i get kh leg armour now

OR

shoud i buy some less expnsive items first? like-

-helmet (40$)
-bmx gloves ($30) or kh gloves (on sale now or 40$ butonly comes in medium and im only 13 s i dotn think they would fit)
-shirt ($25)
-UniVeRsE 2 or other books and DVD’s

Wow, it must feel so good to have money like you do :smiley: . I say buy the more expensive things first, and then decide if you need the little extra gear after.

Best to buy all your goodies in one go to save on postage.
Universe 2 is an awesome video!
KH pads are nice, but not necessary. 661s are just as good.
A helmet is a good idea if you plan on living long.

This has been a very enjoyable thread, thanks for sharing!

Practice makes perfect! Talking to an audiance was one of the hardest parts especially since I hated my college course called Public Speaking. But now after doing it for the last 2 months I have gotten much better and comfortable.

Priorities…Most important first…

1. Helmet
  2. Leg Armour
  3. Gloves
  4. the rest is your choice

no i think its more like this

:stuck_out_tongue: much better:p

no…i think its more LIKE this…

1.unicycle
2.HELMET (without a helmet i ould split my head open)
3. leg armour
4. gloves
5. my choice

i think im just going to buy a helmet and some bmx gloves with day 5 money cos leg armour is out of stock adn it costs 110$ and it the uni cots enuff it self.

i mitehave to get leg armour some other time. =]

Aren’t you doing this for two weeks? So you could get pretty much all that stuff after only one week, with the second week’s money you could get all kinds of crazy.

5 days in the 2weeks…