Building a true, 700c road uni

A couple people on the forum that have done this said they only used one size spoke. I just couldn’t get that to work on my build and ended up with a 3mm differential. My build consisted of:

48h UDC Chromoly Hub (Listed as “Wide Flange” on the UDC.UK calculator)
700c Sun Rhyno Lite 32h rim (612 erd)
16 297mm spokes
16 294mm spokes
32 Sapim Polyax 14mm brass nipples

The UDC.UK spoke calculator called for 296.52mm spokes for that hub and rim in 32 3x, I rounded up to 297 though I guess I probably should have rounded down to 296 (& 293)

When I tried building the wheel with the default size half of the spoke nipples would bottom out on the spoke a couple of millimeters above the rim.

Martin

How did you work out the lenghts of the spokes and what spokes go where? I had a look around some forums and I couldn’t find any instructions anywhere.

Partially through experimentation, re-lacing the wheel several times with one size of spoke, and then measuring the hole spacing in the hub.

No matter how I built the wheel half of the spokes were always too long or too short by several millimeters.

The difference between normal spoke length and “odd” spoke spoke length is basically half the distance between two adjacent spoke holes, measured center to center, on your 48h rim. If you are going to go with a half normal, half short spoke build you can get a reasonably accurate secondary spoke length by re-running your spoke calculator for 48 4x, instead of 32 3x. Using this example for my build the calculator shows 296.52 for 32 3x and 293.13 for 48 4x. As I said before I probably should have rounded down to 296/293 instead of up. My initial experimentation was done with just 296mm spokes and I was concerned they were going to come up short for the normal spoke length. So I rounded up to 297 and subtracted 3mm for the other spokes. They came up a tad long, but still worked.

Each flange will use both sizes of spokes. All the spokes going one direction, on one flange, will be size “A”. All the spokes going the other direction, on the same flange, will be size “B”. The sizes will be reversed on the opposite flange if you are building a symmetrical wheel (all inbound spokes on both flanges going the same direction.)

I don’t have my notebook in front of me but I am pretty sure this is the order in which I built my wheel.

Right side inbound (trailing) 294
Left side inbound (trailing) 297
Right side outbound (leading) 297
Left side outbound (leading) 294

Because of the offset of the holes in the rim the very first spoke went into the second hole away from the valve. If you are starting in the first hole you would probably need to reverse the spoke lengths.

When I started the trailing spokes on the left side of the hub I used the hole closest to the right side trailing spoke that was still behind it. The same hole I would have used in a normal 48h build. (This placement determines the pattern of long/short leading/trailing spokes on each flange. If you skip a hole all the spoke lengths trade places.)

When you start lacing your outboud spokes (you can start on either side as long as you are using the correct spoke length for that side) use the first hole that is under the trailing spoke. This puts the extra holes on the flange between each pair of crossing spokes. Just like in this picture. (This placement determines the length of the “odd” spoke in relation to the normal spoke. If you separate adjacent crossing spokes with the extra hub hole then the “odd” spokes have to be longer than the normal spokes.)

If all this doesn’t make sense then the best way to see which spokes will be long or short is to lace up a wheel. You can save time by only using half the spokes. Take 16 normal, 32h 3x length, spokes and build up your wheel skipping every other spoke. You want to end up with 4 clusters of 4 spokes evenly spaced around the wheel, the first cluster should be on one side of the valve hole, not spanning it. Each cluster of spokes will have a pair that are too long or too short. The “odd” spokes will be on opposite flanges and going in opposite directions. It could be either the inner pair or the outer pair depending on how you build the wheel.

Martin

:astonished: :astonished: :astonished:
I think I’ll just buy a new hub and save myself the hassle. For the sake of 30 quid I might as well use all one spoke size for convenience.

Thanks anyway though!

:smiley: Yeah, it was a bit of a pain. Having sussed out the details, I am confident I could now do a other 32h rim/48h hub builds readily. But, even so, I don’t know that I would bother. Unless you enjoy the process of building the wheel, and the potential problem solving, then I’d stick with matching parts. Especially if you are buying any of those parts new.

I recently read another thread claiming that UDC is going to come out with more 32h hubs. The new Oregon, due out in a few months, is likely to come with a 32h disc hub. Perhaps we will soon see a 32h cotterless hub as well.

Martin

I guess the Flatfish NNC would work, GizmoDuck rode 50 kilometres on a 24"/125mm uni without dismounts after getting one of those bases.

just noticed this thread,

My version of a 700c recently completed. Narrow rims seem to hold up well to my surprise.

That is one sexy beast. If I could have my Schlumpf hub in any unicycle other than my KH36, it would be a “built for the road” 29er.

How’ comfortable is that ride? Looking good

That is one cool racing uni. Shame our speed tends to be limited by gearing so that will be slower than a bog standard (if such a term is appropriate for a relatively rare beast) Schlumpf 36er. How fast do you go on it?

Hey yes she did turn out looking pretty sweet,

It is comfy, Kh slim saddle was flatterned but its curled back up a little. Aero bars take getting used to and the speeds im unsure sorry. The dual wireless i bought is cactus, sensor or something doesnt give any signal.

Compared to a stock 36 guni its probably quite slow. On the other hand im sure its lighter and the lesser torque one elite fit crazy uni rider could spin it up fast and climb easier than a big wheel. less rolling resistance, power to weight all those little things than add up. But sacrificing some stability of a bigger wheel.

Hard to compare an apple to a pear. I love 36ers too. much as i like this uni and fun it is 36er is more versatile and comfortable i would say.

I hadnt seen a 700c Guni anywhere yet so it had to be done. if you like super long dist riding and not taking on hills all day yes 36 Guni will be faster and comfier i believe.

Wouldnt like to UPD with 125mm going at a fair cadence, thats as fast as i know i can take it at moment. Few more km’s and a new cateye i will gear up and get some speeds to post for you.

Thanks to every one who inspires uni riders and has great skills, ideas and shares their builds and problems they encounter…

track/race uni on the road

Is it impossible then to ride a track/race uni on a bike bath for about 3 miles? I wanted to get a super light commuter unicycle, and the lightest one I have found is the Nimbus E Sport Race. But most of the comments in this post say that the unicycle becomes too “twitchy” when the tire is this skinny. Is this something that can be overcome? If not, any advice for me on what type of 24’’-26’’ commuter unicycle I should get that is also super lightweight (ideally less than 11 lbs)?

Generally speaking, unis smaller than 29" wouldn’t be very practical as a “commuter”, in the strictest sense, unless your commutes are short. Weight is more noticeable when climbing moderate to very steep hills, riding downhill sans brake, and when riding into a headwind. I would much rather have a bit more weight with a larger wheel for commuting than a much smaller wheel that might be lighter.

The “twitchy” tire is mostly as result of very high psi, and not [necessarily] tire width. It can also be at least partially attributed to technique and/or larger crank size, which can exaggerate “wobble”. I built a super light (8lbs) 24 uni exclusively for short, steep hill climbing, using a very narrow alienation “deviant” rim, and skinny Intense micro knobby rated at 100psi. I was immediately struck by the extreme “squirrely” feel of the uni when half revving up super steep hills. I would describe it as riding on ice! So I lowered the psi to about 65 and it became smooth as silk, stayed on line yet still retained low RR.

awesome! thanks for the clarification.

My commute will never be more than 2 miles, and will always be on a very flat bike path that is full of tourists and little children running in the middle of the lane without warning. So I wanted to stick with a 24. I also need to be able to bring it in classrooms with me, and I think if it gets any bigger than 24, the professors will make me lock it up outside (they’ve already made comments about my 20’’ muni, but they haven’t asked me to lock it up yet).

Would you still not recommend a track/race uni given these conditions?

If you will be limiting the wheel size to 24, than I would definitely NOT go with a track uni. You ideally would want a “beefier” uni for the street with a wider tire with maybe a “hybrid” tread; something like the kenda K-rad which is light weight w/steel bead and 2.3" wide. The Schwalbe big apple (24x2.15) or marathon is another option, but the marathon doesn’t come wider than 1.75" in 24" wheel size, plus they’re heavier. You want to have some “give” to the tire for rolling over stuff and also for increased traction.

And if it were me, I would want to go with shorter cranks in the 125mm range, but nothing longer than 137mm. Especially since you will be on mostly flat roads, you want a shorter crank for more efficient spinning and less up/down leg movement. You will also be able to maintain a higher speed with far less wobble than with longer cranks.

Cool! Thank you! That is all very helpful. I am only familiar with my 20" muni. This whole process of looking for a road unicycle has been confusing. So many options now! thanks for your help!

“Black Hawk”

My Custom 700c Ultra-Climber!

She’s a beauty! What did you do to the saddle, it looks a bit to cushy?

It’s just the angle of the pic. It’s a standard KH fusion freeride. I may replace it with a fusion street later on.

IMG_0027.JPG

Terry, where can you get those brake adapters?

I’m assuming you need the adapters to use a rim brake with the Dyad correct? For my next build, I’m wanting to do something similar to your setup using a Dyad rim and Nimbus frame. I’d like to stick to good ol’ Maggies if I can, seeing as how that’s what I know and have grown to love.

If I absolutely have to, I’ll go to a disc brake, but I’m really wanting to go with Maggies.

Thanks.