Building a 650B Muni

Resurrections? Vampire transformation? Zombie? :astonished:

I am sure I have misunderstood, but it does sound like an adventure!

Scott

Hey Ben!

Are you still liking the Velocity Blunt 35 rim? I thought I remembered you saying something about the anodizing fading… :thinking:

Anyways, I’m going to contradict mysef, and say that I’m at least considering 650b. Not for muni though (sorry to disappoint). Whether I go 650b or not, I’m wondering about the durability of the Velocity Blunt 35 rim.

Qu-Ax Muni 650B

Just today, Qu-Ax announced the 650B (27.5") Muni! It will replace the 26" Muni.

Infos at www.qu-ax.com/en/Blog/2014/20140403QU-AX-goes-650B

That’s quite cool, though I’m not sure how I feel about it ‘replacing’ the 26er. There’ll always be people who prefer one over the other, so I think they’d have done better doing both…

Hmm, cool I guess. I’m as big a fan of 650b as the next guy, but to totally replace the 26" wheel size with it, is a bit extreme IMO. Almost kind of sad, really.

I don’t pay attention to such things myself, but Qu-Ax were suggesting that the mountain bike industry as a whole is moving to that size, and they didn’t see many 26" bikes at the big trade show(s). It’ll probably take years for this to trickle down through the market, but in case you haven’t noticed, there aren’t many 24" mountain tires on the market these days. Us old-schoolers are still rockin’ the 24" but the tire choices are getting scarce…

So my next MUni, whenever that happens, might be a 650B!

This is ironic since 650B mountain bikes never took hold in the 80’s. There were at least two companies, Schwinn and Raleigh, who pushed 650 with no success. And now look at it.

Edit: John I may be interested in the 24" tires you mentioned in a previous thread. My sons mountain bike needs new rubber.

Yeah there’s not loads of 24" tyres, but there seems to be an abundance of 26" tyres, as well as bikes, specially if my local trails are anything to go by (Then again, the difference between 26" and 650b might be so small I can’t tell :smiley: )

I don’t think the 26" MTB or MUni is dead, so I’m not sure I like the idea of Qu-Ax dropping it… Maybe it’s a money thing.

It’s interesting that just Qu-Ax Muni is in 650B (http://www.qu-ax.com/en/products/all-terrain-unicycles/muni/Muni-275),
but QX Series is still 26" (http://www.qu-ax.com/en/products/all-terrain-unicycles/QX-series-20-white/QX-series-26-white) still with 2010 encouragement to ride 26" (559mm ISO) (http://www.ride559.de/).

Change for the sake of change. Drives the bike industry. Wastes everyone’s time.

Exactly what I thought when I read the reviews for the bike show. Now that everybody has a disc brake, that bikes won’t be able to get much lighter, what do they do to sell more unnecessary stuff? A new standard! Everyone is happy to play that game because all manufacturers will benefit from that…

Back on the 650 subject: it looks like a 27.5" with a “regular” MTB tire won’t be much bigger than a 26" with a 3" fat tire. So it might be possible to just rebuild/buy a wheel for unicyclists who want to try this new standard.

Aaaaaah! They appear to be regurgitating all the MTB industry 650B guff. In fact given those quite clearly inaccurate rollover figures, I have to wonder if they’ve just copied and pasted Giant’s marketing guff, given that’s the only place I think I’ve seen the suggestion that 650B rolls more like 29 than 26.

…well that was a good guess http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/technology/tech27-5/94/

For reference, most of the stuff in that article where they suggest 650B is closer to 29 than 26 is a complete load of BS.

There is no current 650B tyre larger in diameter than a 26x3, so most 26" frames should work fine Building a 650B Muni - #17 by aracer

Oh, and please call it 650B - 27.5" is inaccurate

I just copied the press pa stuff from QUAX, I didn’t make that up… :smiley:

Well, it makes much more sense to have more wheel size options for unicycles compared to bikes with their unlimited gearing possibilities. I rode the Quax 650b prototype and it really felt different compared to my 26. So, props to Quax for being innovative. As long as they continue the QX series 26 muni, it’s all fine.

For me, the problem with 650b is the unavailability of proper muni downhill tires. The HighRoller II 2.4 is better suited for, let’s say, technical XC. However, for that I prefer a 26 Schlumpf because it can climb better and the high gear is easier to handle on single tracks.

Does anybody know a 650b wire bead, 2-ply tire with the volume of a Schwalbe 2.5 or Maxxis 2.7?

My 26" with a 3" Gazz is the exact same height as my 650B on a Schwalbe Habs Dampf 2.35. At pretty much exactly 27,5". I used to ride them both in a Qu-ax 29er frame which has really low clearance for a 29er and made it perfect for the 650B.

I like my 650B, but I dont think it will replace the 26" in the unicycling industry. 26" are getting really rare in bikeshops though. The only 26" we had at work before I left were kids bike, really small frames but taller wheels for the “big” kids haha.

Which they copied verbatim from Giant’s marketing guff :roll_eyes:

Hi,

I haven’t heard of 2.7 tires uin 650B. However, if you want something stronger, you can give a try to the Schwalbe tires in Super Gravity edition (like the Hans Dampf). It is supposed to be stronger sidewalls for freeride. You may be blocked to 2.35 or 2.4 tires but at least they may behave more the way you expect.

There was some good feedback from these versions of the tire in this forum (even if it may have been the 29" version).

The new Surly Dirt Wizard 2.75 blurs the line too. They even take the tongue-in-cheek shot at the sizes with the 2.75/27.5 reference. The wire bead 27tpi listed at 1070g looks promising. It’s a good match for the KH 26 rim too.

I’d report on the ride if the trails would dry up a bit…