Broken Seatpost

Just wondered if theres anyone out there with any advice on how best to solve the following issue. I was messing about today doing some hoping on my 24" Onza (with aluminium seat post , on one hop over about 35cm (big for me small for most other people :slight_smile: ), due to bad style and a lack of ability I completely messed up the landing - landed on the nose of the seat no ordinarily this would probalby have bent the seat but as I have a carbon fibre seat base there was no ending there and the result was that the seat post snapped just below the weld on the post where no doubt due tothe welding there was some brittleness - anyway it was completely my fault so I’ve got no problem with it happening but now I have to replace it and was wondering about the best solution (at a reasonable price as the Wallis carbon base and Thompson post is not a goer). I reckon there are three main options:

1. Replace the post with another aluminium post - my technique will get better but the same thing could happen again.

2. Replace the post with a cro-mo seat post that will be unlikely to break but will add a fair amount of weight - I’m not going to a huge amount of trials on it so would prefer not to make it too heavy as that spoils the speed of the muni a bit.

3. Go with a rail adapter and standard bike seatpost (say a KH one).This would give me a bit of adjustability and also hopefully if I land on the nose again, the seat postion is more likely to move than anything snap.

So, has anyone got any thoughts on this as to the best option - and while you’re thinking I’ll set about improving my technique

Cheers

Roland

I snapped an aluminum seat post too… I went the Thompson-Elite-seat-post-with-a-custom-made-rail-adapter route. I don’t know how well it works yet because the seat post is too long and (for some odd reason) no one in my dorm has a pipe cutter OR hack saw…

Dave

I would and did go for the standard seat post when mine broke last week, the tube side wall is thicker and stronger than my previous one but it is heavier. I reckon you really want to go for the KH rail bracket with seat post to match and you just need some justification for spending 5 times as much as the standard seat post :wink:

Go on go for it, I may go for the cheap option but I don’t mind encouraging people to spend their money :smiley: (and Roger will like you some more)

Re: Broken Seatpost

roland wrote:

> Just wondered if theres anyone out there with any advice on how best to
> solve the following issue. I was messing about today doing some hoping
> on my 24" Onza

There are some pics from that jumping session here:

http://www.atchoo.org/gallery/ecofest05.php

There are a few good ones of you.

I have videos, but they aren’t there yet.

Roger