Broken Schlumpf Crank

Are both buttons stuck? If not, contact Ken Looi (Gizmoduck on the board) and ask him for instructions on how to remove the button. He stripped the tiny bolt that holds the button on as well, but only on one side.

If they are both stuck, I am not sure how you would remove them. Wait for the reply from Florian and see what he recommends, be sure to include detailed instructions as to what is wrong and what you have done already. I wouldn’t mess with the hub too much, you could damage something.

yeah!
I got one the the buttons off.
I used a vise wrench(gently) on one button and “the tool” on the other button.
That was easy.
I even got the crankarm off without incident.
Now to get the other button. The one with the broken crank.:o
I tried needle nose piers on the push rod(on the unused threads) but it wouldn’t move. I didn’t try too hard. I need more thought.
I happy with my progress so far.
I missed riding schlumpf:( The trails have been too muddy for muni.

ps: Gizmoduck’s thread on the stuck button has helped. I will go back there again.

aloha, Dani

Yeah, I got both cranks off without injury with vise grips.
1st I held the right shift cap to loosen the left shift cap.
Then I held the left side threads :astonished: to loosen the right shift cap. I locked the vise grips far up on the threads close to center(these threads look like they’re not being used).
Now order some new cranks! :sunglasses:

I found that vise grips did the job- not the little 1.5mm hex key

Photo 151.jpg

I bought new cranks(pro-wheel) from UDC. A little greese and I torque them up at 40psi. I rode it a half mile then re-tighten them. Then a 1/2 mile and re-tighten. 3 more times I rode and 3 times I tighten. Then I hit it with a mallot and tighten again. no luck
I even over tighten (maybe 50-60psi). no luck

I could have go on forever(like groundhog day). I had to tighten the cranks every time I rode a half mile loop. So I bought thread-lock. Red being tuffer than the blue, I got the red. It’s good now. After one 7-mile ride they stayed tight.

I finally got to ride my schlumpf and shift the gears again. And my favorite place to ride has been freshly paved. Sweet!!

uh good luck getting those off again with anything short of an impact drill. Red loctite is not meant to be used on anything that is meant to be latter removed.

And I assume you mean Footpounds or lbft instead of PSI (Pounds per Square Inch). maybe you were measuring in inch*pounds and that is why nothing was tight?

You’re right! I was using in-pounds. But what would be the conversion be?
40 X 12 = 480 That’s off the scale of the torque wrench by 230inchpounds.
So is newton
meter; it says 5.31n/m=40.5inch/lbs on my torque wrench. I gave the newton’s a multiple of ten and got 53.:o
The torque was suppose to be 55N/m or 40ft/lbs. The torque wrench only goes to 20.03n/m. If this true, I’ll max out the wrench and torque it up. Thanks for the heads up.

I use 25-30 ft/lbs; I think 40 is too high! I know it is what it says, but I still think it is too high.

corbin

That’s brings down the in/lbs to 300 from 480. My T-wrench goes to 250 inch pounds.

When my torque wrench clicked at 40 in/lbs, it didn’t seemed like very much. :roll_eyes:

The red thread lock is working after a couple rides. I’m not going to touch it unless it comes loose.

I use 35 foot pounds. That seems to be ok. That’s the trouble with torque wrenches - you need a good one and they cost quite a bit. I bought this one: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00944596000P?vName=Tools which goes up to 80 ft lb.

—Nathan