Brakes? Vee's Maggies or Diskies lol

Getting back into Unicycling after many years, looking at braking. Vee’s, I can see some clearance issues, both bodily, and tire. Anybody use em? if so which ones thinking would have to be pretty long.
New Muni comes with Maggie mounts, but see Nimbus also makes a slick little bracket for a disk. Am leaning toward adding a disk but looking for revues on both.

Thx

Two of my unicycles have V-brakes (via adapters on Magura mounts); one is a 26" muni and the other is a 36". The V-brakes are cheap, easy enough to adjust, take a whack well, and are less worrisome being mechanical.

My 29" has a hydraulic disc. The braking action is smoother and it has more power. It’s never given me any trouble but if there was a mechanical caliper available that was as narrow as the hydraulics I’d switch it just for piece of mind.

And i have run V breaks and maguras and the maguras are tons better. After riding Nurce Bens Disk unicycles i am so game for a disk set up.

Thanks,

Just noticed new Muni has a 3" tire somehow got omitted from the first post. :astonished:

Hmm, it appears after visiting the Nimbus sight they have a special hub for a disk, those little details some suppliers leave out in descriptions. Looks like that sultry wench Maggie is coming back into my life, Brycer, Brycer… Brycer

The Nimbus disc system uses an inboard disc mounted on the hub. The KH disc system uses an outboard disc mounted on the crank. In both systems the caliper can be mounted on a bearing cap holder. The KH system doesn’t require a new wheel build to retrofit a disc brake on an older unicycle.

The Nimbus disc system uses an inboard disc mounted on the hub. The KH and MountainUni disc systems use an outboard disc mounted on the crank. With alll systems the caliper can be mounted on a bearing cap holder. The KH and MountainUni systems don’t require a new wheel build to retrofit a disc brake on an older unicycle.

These look good:

http://webcyclery.com/echo-vbrake-adaptors-p-1455.php

Echo_VBrakeAdaptor2.jpg

+1, mostly.
I used a v on my 29er for quite a while, and recently switched to a disc. No clearance problems for me with the v, as you can see in pictures on the other thread. I haven’t had much chance to ride on the new disc setup, but I have two comments about the disc brake so far:

1. When it works right, it is blissfully wonderful.
  2. I’ve spent waaaaay more time trying to get my disc brake to work right than I ever did with the v, and that’s after spending waaaay more money on it than the v brake. So I’m pretty sure it was a good switch for my 29er muni, but I’m not rushing to replace the v-brake that’s on my 36er.