BMX uni for Flat?

Well I was planning to use this uni for street AND flat, so I figured the moment cranks were a better idea. But is all this even worth it? Will I gain anything out of the BMX set up(as opposed to shaving a Nimbus X Street)?

There are pros and cons to both bmx style unis and trials style unis. If your gonna build a BMX setup I recomend a kevlar beaded tire, this will make it nice and light. As far as cranks for flat go, the qu-ax cranks with shaved nubs on a K1 hub seams to me the best I have tried. I cant really recomend this setup as is takes modifying the cranks and is not the best fitting setup, tho for flat it should work fine.(I also ride pretty agressive street with this setup, as BrIan O can attest to.)

As far as 20" tire vs 19" tire. A 20" will roll very nicely for flat and feels very awesome. The problems is you need to be much more acurate as the tire allows for less slop. The 19" is much more forgiving when your technique isnt quite perfect. I think if BMX was better for flat, you would see flat riders using freestyle unis more then they are.

There is something very nice about a true 20" uni. It feels so nice so zippy so clean. When I have been riding a 19" setup alot I miss the fast and smooth roll of a 20". When I ride a 20" alot I miss the mellow, bouncy forgiving feel of a 19".

As far as a setup goes, I think your best options is the nimbus DJ, kevlar beaded tire, and if your feeling friskey, K1 hub with quax 125 CrMO cranks. Plastic pedals and domina frame(If money is not an issue, seams they have no problem replacing them when they break). This would be super light and very nice for flat.

K1 hub fit’s the 125 Quax CrMO cranks? Isn’t koxx isis smaller than the original ISIS present on the KH and Nimbus Hubs and Cranks?

And about the Domina Frame I don’t think that yoggi will replace all frames that you brake! He replaced one for Spencer… but i don’t know if he replaced a second one…

And i talked wih Yoggi last week, and he told me that at the end of march koxx will release some 2008 products:
-Domina 2
-Xavier Collos Street Pro Model
-Loic Baud Flat Pro Model

I think that with this unis will come a bunch of new parts! :smiley:

Anyway… If money isn’t a problem… I would go with a Koxx One wheel with 135’s tubular Cranks, KH Frame, KH Seat and KH Seat Post… I think that is the Spencer setup (except the seat post, he uses a Thompson with SW Base)…

Bye!

Now my uni is all KH (with my Thomson and Wallis seat).

Yoggi is going to replace my black domina again. He said he will give me a domina 2 at unicon because its easier and I don’t need it right away since I have my KH frame that I like. I will also probably get a new KH frame when they come out.

Spencer the KH cranks are ok for crank rollings? My father is going to barcelona next week, so i’m thinking about selling my K1 and get a KH… But someone told me that the Moments cranks sucks for crank rollings!

Thanks!

No, they dont really fit correctly. The K1 hub is bigger than true ISIS. So my Qu-ax CrMO cranks dont slide on all they way, they stay further out on the axle. I dont really recomend this to anyone, as it may not be the strongest setup… works for me tho, and it makes for tons of room to put your feet on.

I don’t think that they suck for rolling wraps and that stuff, but they are definitely less comfortable and stable than the KH/Onzas and K1 street cranks.

For the sake of correcting you, all tires we use are off bikes, there are no tires made for unicycling.

I basically had the same question a little while back and got some great feedback.

I’ve almost got my uni built up and I’m just waiting on the tire and pedals.

This is what I did.

Nimbus X frame
Nimbus DJ rim 36H
Nimbus ISIS hub
Black 14g spokes
Qu-Ax crmo 125 cranks
I’m using a steel post and a nimbus saddle with CF seatbase.

Still waiting on.

20x2.25 Fly Rueben kevlar folding tire
Eastern plastic pedals.

Initial impressions:

I put some cheap pedals on it, I had lying around and a 20x2.125 Bmx knobby tire. So far I really like it and I’m sure I’ll like it even more with the smooth light tire.

I really like the rim (it’s HUGE) and the feel of the cranks. It’s exactly as AgentQ said, smooth fast and less forgiving of technique.

I definately will not completely replace my 19in setup. I think it gives a uni with a different feel that is funner in some ways, but the trials tire is still nice for other things.

I’ll post pics when I get the tire and pedals on.

36’ers?

Cocky thing to bring up?

I think you’d want the longneck frame. Besides, the Black widow has cotterless cranks.

The DJ rim is available in 36 spoke.
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1148

Well the original coker tire was made for the Coker Wheelman penny farthing.

…and the wheel TA was for the Qu-Ax Penny-Farthing. The only real unicycling tires that I can think of are the Nightrider, Coker XLR (when it comes out), and the smaller sized Qu-Ax freestyle tires.

BMX is an acronym for Bicycle Motocross.

AFAIK, there is no such thing as a “bicycle unicycle”… unless you’re talking about a tricycle.

I have yet to hear of a unicyclist entering into a motocross-style competition. Being that it’s nearly impossible to “get big air” on a uni, I don’t see this happening.

Of course, we’ve been using BMX components on unicycles for a while… but that doesn’t make them bicycles (or tricycles), now, does it?

Could somone explain how the name “BMX uni” holds any meaning?

Well the only reason to refur to a “bmx” when talking bikes (vs. just “bike”), is to describe the components invloved. A “bmx uni” refurs to a 20" rim and 20" tire off a BMX bike.

Yeah, basically a freestyle uni with stronger components.

The stuff finally arrived so here are the pics.

I ended up with a Shadow Conspiracy Undertaker folding tire 20 x2.25. It’s is a very nice tire, not at light as I thought it would be, but it’s very stable. I really like this uni.

Edit: Thanks again to everyone for their help and input in putting this together.

That looks pretty sweet. I just picked up a pair of those pedals myself. The pins ware pretty fast and dirt and ice will get stuck in the knurls, so they arn’t great for bad weather.
Hows that rim feel?

Also, in case you guys dont check out the traiding post. I have a BMX uni for sale:

Great price on a nice bmx uni.

The rim goes well with the tires. The smooth 20x2.25 tire with the wide rim make the ride a little more trials like, but still smooth and fast. The other tire I had on was just a knobby bmx tire and it was squirrelly. The width of the undertaker would be almost as wide as a Creepy Crawler if the knobs on the sides were shaved off, but the tire isn’t nearly as tall.

I also got a red Kenda Kontact 20x2.25 for riding indoors for $10. It feels really nice too, a lot like the undertaker. The side walls are much thinner, but the rim keeps it pretty stable. I don’t really do side hops with this uni anyway though.