Blue Shift: A New-Cycle Begins (2022) šŸ

Looks like an amazing piece of unique equipment you got your hands on. Iā€™ve been trawling through harperā€™s posts to find out some information. Is the gear fixed or can you change it on the fly?

1 Like

Thanks!!!

Itā€™s genuinely magnificent in both the history and the ride. Did my usual stretch the other weekend and was stunned by how confident I was in high gear and on the Big Apple 2.35ā€ tyre. Never ridden on that kind of tyre before but I found it tracked for the most part pretty well and I only had one sudden UPD.

As for shifting. Itā€™s not on the fly, but it is shiftable by unscrewing a small hex bolt and then bolt the torque arm into the hub body itself. Iā€™ve not yet ridden in low gear if Iā€™m honest and suspect I will just focus on learning to mount confidently in high and enjoy that. But once my trips get longer in mileage - then itā€™ll be nice to go to 29ā€ 1:1 when wiped out energy wise from high.

But high is where the magic is for me. And where I get a decent work out and sense of accomplishment.

It could be simply that a geared 29er is a sweet spot size-wise, or the fact this has 170mm cranks (at end hole)ā€¦ but currently Iā€™m putting it down to the fact that this hub just has some extra magic that gets it to flow along with such ease - which somehow gives me a good deal more confidence in high gear than my G26er.

I kind of like the fact thereā€™s no shifting button to worry about accidental downshifts or any brake to faff with. Itā€™s complex internally but simple in operation and gets out of the way of the actual ride :star_struck:

2 Likes

170 cranks thatā€™s long, I used to run 165ā€™s on my guni as thatā€™s what the previous owner had. I suppose long cranks will allow you to do entire rides in high gear easily. Myself Iā€™ve never managed an entire ride in high gear as itā€™s so much harder to manoeuvre the wheel in high gear at slow speeds. Iā€™m still undecided what I want my 2nd geared hub to be. Maybe a 29 or smaller is what I should get.

In high these 170s donā€™t in fact feel too long. Theyā€™d probably feel too long in 1:1 but in 1:1.5 they just give a bit more control and I am already going pretty fast where my UPD required me to run to not somersaults!

I canā€™t wait to get the time to properly test G36er-ing as I can well imagine the roll over and high gear cadence will be delightful. However I am pretty sure 29ā€ wheel is a sweet spot in general for gearing up especially for path riding.

The ride isnā€™t too high like a 36er which can at times be worrying for a fast UPD, but is is a big enough wheel to make mincemeat of roots and bumps that Iā€™d have to use some serious cognitive output on my 26er in high to feel sure Iā€™ll make it.

This is all related to me - here and now with my skill levels as they are today. So all issues can be surmounted by either getting more physically skilled and tuned to the wheel you have (any size) - or you find a size that stretches but doesnā€™t strain or put you off a ride opportunity.

Iā€™d love a G24 for portability- but I know Iā€™d have to be prepared to get skilled in being reactive in high gear more so than I might need to be on a G29er.

It seems to be a unicyclists long term preoccupation- what size wheel is going to be best.

I donā€™t think weā€™ll ever answer that conclusively ā€¦ :grin:

1 Like

I just changed my crank length in my g36 to 125 this week and itā€™s taking some adjustment but 1:1 riding is so much better with shorter cranks. One thing I found with long cranks was I tend to make the wheel wobble side to side more often but shorter cranks I can keep it straighter.

Felix-

Iā€™m glad to see youā€™re getting some kilometers in. Iā€™m interested in the performance of the Cult x Vans blue camo tire. It certainly looks cool. Did you take your daughter for a ride? I used to ride around with my kids on my shoulders. Moms donā€™t seem to like that so much.

1 Like

Going to up the mileage as and when I can get more free time :gear:

I know it looks like I was just off on a ride with Jazzy on my back. But Iā€™d not dare :laughing:ā€¦. perhaps when older and on a safe stretch slowly but then again Iā€™d be worried about falling on my back and how theyā€™d fall too.

Testing the tyre this weekend on a few miles of somewhat bumpy path. Itā€™ll give me an idea if itā€™s great ā€”or just a mistake and solely cool looking purchase.

Fingers crossed it turns out to be a useable narrow 29ā€ uni-tyre - given it has a grippy tread but also a relatively overall sleek surface shape :crossed_fingers:Plus it is pretty beefy at 1kg and feels like a solid sidewallā€™d tyre.

I really like the look - but it does have to ride well and be more grippy than the Big Apple to stay mounted.

Now that was a fun ride.

Nice when the first section is the scary warm-up bit, where things donā€™t seem to be going your way - but then the return trip is when youā€™re in the zone: carefree, fear-free and flying :gear:

Outward-bound, I had to purposefully UPD (thatā€™s a bit of an oxymoron- but youā€™ll get me) ā€”6 bikes were two abreast and they were doing a good clip - as was I, for a monowheel, and I just decided to pop off the front as there was no space to pass them safely or time to try and slow down and properly dismount.

Anywho - on the way back I realised what Greg (@harper) means by the well-wish of:

ā€œRide Like The Windā€ā€¦

I got it.

Itā€™s really meant to read: The Hub Rides Like The Windā€¦ and I needs must be like a kite :kite: or the surfer :man_surfing: on their surfboard ā€¦ and catch its currents.

This hubā€™s currents are electrifyingly good and today I felt fully plugged in and in no small part thanks to the wonders of the new tyre Iā€™ve installed: Cult x Vans Waffle

5 Likes

I hope you didnā€™t get hurt. Iā€™ve come off the front at about 20mph but I was fully padded up. I somersaulted over my helmet and rolled on my backpack which, fortunately, protected my back.

1 Like

Gorgeous looking tyre you got there, wonā€™t it get a big black line on it eventually?

If you purposely dismounted then itā€™s not really a UPD since you planned it, more likely a Controlled Dismount.

Iā€™m surprised you could catch 6 cyclists riding at speed, but even so couldnā€™t you have just slowed down and followed at their speed? Glad you didnā€™t get hurt anyway, you really donā€™t want to have a UPD at speed on a guni not fun.

1 Like

I probably over dramatised that section of my report. It was scary by my standards but risk was was low. I was more shaken by my perception of a ā€œwhat ifsā€ as in imagining the UPD as the cyclists past me.

What you describe sounds terrifying and Iā€™m hoping I never get that acrobatic :crossed_fingers:Glad your back survived!

It could happen I guess but it wonā€™t get that bad I feel. It looks a bit messy but it feels surprisingly robust and I feel itā€™ll get more worn down then coloured black - it does look nice which is a bonus but Iā€™d only ride it if it worked for my needs and aim for Blue Shift.

Badly written methinks, my bad. The 6 - 2x2 cyclists were heading towards me on the right, and Iā€™m on the left - so it was narrow and they were doing a decent pace with a portable sound system blasting :musical_note: and clearly werenā€™t deciding to move into single file to follow polite protocol with passing on this shared path. I made the judgement call to get off. And of course it wasnā€™t really a UPD as I triggered it intentionally. But it would visually appear like a mistake.

One of the troop, shouted out: ā€œAh unicycle! - Keep at it, youā€™ve nearly got it!ā€

Theyā€™d gone before I could explain via diatribe (joke) that theyā€™d forced me to get off to avoid risks to myself and them - and of course bore them ridged with the facts and challenges of riding a GEARED unicycle :rofl::nerd_face:

Wonderful ride on Blue Shift. Such a nice feeling wheel and tyre.

Been a few months since I dared to ride this geared magic carpet - after a rattling UPD.

But I managed to push through the fear and get newly accustomed to high gear :gear:

4 Likes

I know this has probably been answered by you but how do you shift? On the crank? And what type of cranks are those?

Good to see youā€™re back out on this beauty
:blush:

1 Like

You canā€™t shift on the fly with the hub, but thereā€™s the option to unscrew a lever arm that runs into the hub and then bolt it to the hub. When it is in this position itā€™s in 1:1. When bolted to frame it is in 1:1.5.

If you zoom into the first photo by the hub you can see how it is bolted to frame. I tend to keep it in high gear and just get help with mounting. Free mounting might be possible eventually but out of scope for me right now.

Iā€™m fine with this as it means when riding you basically have nothing to focus on other than riding. No brake. No shifting, accidental or otherwise.

The cranks are Kookas - cotterless and very cool. From checking eBay they seem pretty rare too!

Thanks, I see a set of 175 on ebay for $850.00 , ouch.

Wow. Thatā€™s more than I remembered them costing. Theyā€™re nice but Iā€™d not pay that much for them :flushed:

Link to that tire?

1 Like

Hey Terry :wave:

Itā€™s all detailed here

I should add on this narrow rim I am leaning towards 40/45PSI. Once thatā€™s dialled it it handles rough paths surprisingly well, and Iā€™ve not had any camber issues or odd squirming from it.

Like it so much got a back up in case it ever stops being made!

Thanks for the link, I had already found it after looking at a close up of the tire. Yes, I also run a 700c dyad on my 29er and currently run a 2.2 Continental race King at 40 PSI and itā€™s been great. Thanks again.

1 Like