"Official" 29er Tire Reviews Thread

The Big Apple has been available in a 29x2 and 29x2.35 for a while, so weird to see that they’ve put another one square in the middle. Probably good though, apparently people have ‘squirmy’ issues with the larger version and explodey problems with the smaller one.

Came across a raving review of the 29" Hookworm left on Amazon… by a unicyclist!

That tire was so heavy, I gave up on it quickly. But maybe it could be interesting with a Schlumpf as it would give it inertia, à la 36" riding.

Hookworm 29"

The link doesn’t lead me to the review so I haven’t read it.
I use the Hookworm on my 29" unicycle and am quite pleased with it. True, the tyre is heavy but since I ride long distances on it and no hills, that’s not an issue. The road crown sensitivity, something that I’m quite sensitive to, is reasonable (certainly not absent but somewhat better than Big Apple 2.35). Rolling resistance is low, similar to Big Apple.

I think there is another 29er tyre thread, but anyway, this seems to be appropriate.

Thorofareken posted on this forum about the WTB Slick 29" 2.2 tyre. I just put it on my uni and I like it. Pretty close to effortless pedalling on flat ground. Feels very nimble. If it wasn’t for needing to go up hills I’d even go with shorter cranks I reckon (Current setting 127mm). First 7 or 8 times I tried to stop and hop, it worked. I didn’t ride in any place with massive camber, but in the areas with camber, I didn’t notice it.
Previously I had a Maxxis hookworm tyre on it which was pretty good and Schwalbe Big Apple (I didn’t like it at all, always felt the camber).

Nice! How does it compare with the Hookworm? It must be much lighter for a start as the Hookworm is such a weight monster…

It seems faster and more manevurable!!

Aug 22nd was on a trials uni

1 Like

Cult + Vans Waffle :waffle:

Hello all :wave:

Anyone know if this tyre might be a good bet for a road/gentle tracks type 29er set up.

Thinking it’ll have more grip than say a Big Apple?

Or perhaps it’s just not suited to unicycles?

I had camber issues with the Big apple no mater what psi I put in the tyre.
Try the Surly Extra terrestrial
Haven’t tried the tyre you are mentioning but have looked at it though

1 Like

Thanks Kev!

Yes I felt I should steer clear of that one. The Extra Terrestrial does look more up my alley or even some of the narrower 29er shown here:

But it’ll need to be narrow and somewhat smooth.

Just based on the visuals, it reminds me of the Hookworm (another controversial tire).
What I liked about this tire’s description is that they say it is “light” and yet is listed at 1kg ! :joy:

Otherwise, as its sibling is a BMX tire, it is probable that the waffle tread (and maybe the rubber ?) are here for traction. However, not sure if it will translate positively on a uni without trying one out…

1 Like

Well I’ve received one and it’s mounted to Blue Shift -Blue Shift: A New-Cycle Begins (2022) 🏁

I’ve not yet tested it on a full path ride to compare it to the Big Apple 2.35” the unicycle had before. (Which was surprisingly capable from my outing yesterday on that.)

Rode this Cult x Vans one up and down the street and was at first a bit worried it was too grippy / rotationally slow. But then I think I clicked into how it rolls - and I’m hoping it’ll be less squirmy as the Big Apple could be in odd path grooves.

Next weekend and I’ll test it properly and review back here. But so far I’m cautiously optimistic if perhaps 5% nervous over how narrow it is and how it’ll cope with roots under tarmac in my usual path.

:crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

with 2.35" version yes but not with 2" version

1 Like

Try the schwable hurricane. Is great on pavement even with roots pushing up. Has low tread in center and a more agressive tread on the sides. Makes it good for packed limestone trails. No camber issues comes 29x 2.25 I run mine 35 psi.

4 Likes

Cult x Vans 29x2.1” Tyre Review

Mounted to Velocity Dyad 700c rim - believe this has 24mm width.

PSI 45ish

Unicycle: Blue Shift geared wheel

The TL;DR -

What a tyre. I mean I didn’t expect it to be this good.

Camber: what camber?!?
Roots under tarmac: what roots?!?

It really is such a decently grippy tyre and at the same time fast. I was riding it in a geared 29er and along what I’d call rough tarmac / bike path.

On the previously mounted Big Apple 2.35” I didn’t have much issue with camber but over roots was scary.

I don’t expect this new narrower tyre to handle so well. But I guess its grippy waffle tread means it hangs on to everything —and when you corner it seems to both allow you to lean into your bends or twist, but also stays square to the path beneath, as in - gives a predictable foot print.

I love it. I mean really love it. It’s beefy too. Meaning it weighs 1kg ish - and I like the fact it has a wire bead. It’s unique is the fact that isn’t really a bike tyre, coming from the BMX space but for the massive 29” size.

You can run it up to 65PSI but so far 45 seems great.

I’d really like to try the 26” version. But for another looking for a cool looking and sublime riding narrower 29er tyre that is at home on pavement and tarmac and on rougher paths, this is amazing!

I’m buying a back up one just in case it stops being made.

2 Likes

my daugther’s custom 29 with pink Cult tyre

6 Likes

I have been interested in the cult tire for my son’s 20 inch nimbus for awhile now. Good to know it’s getting good reviews from unicycle riders. Just may have to pull the trigger on one

1 Like

Anyone have any experience with the Maxxis Rekon+ 29” - 120tpi at 2.8”?

I’m looking for something at 2.8”. So not super narrow.

This would be for a tubeless set up on a G29er and I have seen a few posts mentioning the Rekon loosely but nothing that detailed.

My back up plan would be to go with the 29x3” Maxxis DHR II. It is perhaps a little over kill for a G29er that’s going to be aimed at rough trails usage - but I wouldn’t mind trying a 3” tyre on this set up for the first year or so.

But 2.8” seems like a sweet spot for this application, especially when set up without any inner tube.

Thanks in advance :pray::gear:

1 Like

Some first impressions of the Surly ExtraTerrestrial 29x2.5:

Pros:

• Very well built, feels quality and durable
  • Fast rolling
  • Huge volume for a road tire (60 psi max.)
  • No camber issues

Cons:

• A bit too heavy (officially 1070g, got mine at 1150g)
  • Very tight fit to the rim (could be just me)
  • Expensive ($78)

Given the diversity of practices in 29", perhaps a wiki is in order. At least as a way of listing 29" tire topics :

1 Like

I’m late to the party but I run a 2.6 of this on my winter/Unipacking wheel. Rolls really well on road when you blow it up and handles all the terrain and snow/ice I’ve thrown at it over this past winter.

Handles crappy gravel really well in the 2.6 so a 2.8 would be really good except in deep snow/sand in my mind. Very capable tire.

1 Like