Big Apple or Hookworm

I am looking to put a more street friendly tire on my 26er - I have narrowed it down to the Big Apple or the Hookworm - I will be riding street, asphalt trails, and light single track - Anybody have any opinion either way?

I tired the hookworm on my G-26er for road riding and found it to be HEAVY as lead. Didn’t like it at all. Maybe it would be better on a lighter, non-geared uni. I’ve been running the Ardent 26 x 2.25 folding mtb tire on it, and it’s so light and also responsive and rolls tech terrain very well. I guess the change to the much heavier big apple was quite noticeable.

I have a Hookworm for my 26". It seems to do well on the street and light muni. I recently changed over to a Duro Leopard, because most of the riding I’ve been doing on the 26" has been off-road, and the trails I’ve been on seem to be mostly composed of loose rocks. Still, the Hookworm did pretty well there, too.
(I’ve never ridden a Big Apple, so I can’t comment on that one.)
(Yes, both the Hookworm and Duro are fairly heavy tires, but it doesn’t seem to me to be excessively difficult to push the pedals around. I’m a newbie, so I don’t have a lot of experience for comparison.)

I tested the hookworm on my G-26er for road riding and the first thing I noticed was the weight. Maybe it would be better on a lighter, non-geared uni since the Schlumpf hub makes the wheel significantly heavier than a standard hub. I’ve been running the Ardent 26 x 2.25 folding mtb tire on it for a couple years now, and it’s very light but also responsive and rolls tech terrain very well. I guess the change to the much heavier big apple was quite noticeable.

I have tried a hookworm and a Schwalbe Big Ben tire on my 26". The Big Ben was much lighter, but it had a tendency to steer away from center–it just felt a bit weird riding it. It is much lighter than the hookworm. In any case, the odd steering behavior led me to switch back to the hookworm. It is heavy but it rides very nicely on street and easy (dry) trails.

Scott

I find the hookworm to be an extremely predictable tire. It rolls well, absorbs irregularities and steers very well without being overly affected by camber. The only problem is it is really heavy.

I know the hookworm would work for what you have in mind but a lighter tire (like a Big Apple) should work as well.

Sorry if that wasn’t very helpful.

I have used the Hookworm on 26, and the 2.35 Big Apple on 29. The BA is much lighter, but it has some problems with being pushed around by the road. The Hookworm is a great riding tire, but very heavy. The CST Cyclops is a little different than the hookworm, but not much, and cheaper.

If you’re not looking for a lot of volume here’s another option. I have been using a Rubena Cityhopper 2.0 on my 29 lateley, and like it alot. It seems more like the BA for weight, and tread, but has a rounder profile like the HW. It rides well and is lighter than the HW. I’ll post more after I have ridden it longer, but for now it is proving to be a nice tire.

I’ve been going back and forth between a muni with a Hookworm and another with a lighter, narrower street tire–lighter than a Big Apple even. My take is that being a little under-tired on mild non-technical trails with the Big Apple would be challenging and fun, moreso than having more tire and weight than you needed on pavement with the Hookworm.

Edit: I might have made a bad assumption there, thinking the Big Apple in question is a much lighter and lighter-duty tire than the Hookworm. So take that with a grain of salt. What sizes and weights are we actually talking about here?