Best pictures of 2012

This one was taken on the edge of 2012, on “boxing day”, in Ahoy Rotterdam, at the Christmas Circus in Ahoy Rotterdam.

It’s always amazing how the real pro’s -those who make their sole income out of unicycling- are pretty much always riding the cheapest/oldest and crappiest unicycles.

ahoy2012.jpg

Ha! Great one, I don’t think that would be your “2012-only” choise, but a larger span than that… congrats.

On your right… looks like Cameron Ulmer, so on your left is Preston? Then… the guy next to him -I’m guessing- could that then be Colin Schworer?
Or was my first asumption already wrong and are these all other unicyclists?

Good guess. Cameron is on my right and Andy Schwarz is on my left. Next to him is Colin Schworer and the other guy on a uni is my brother. Preston was there but wasn’t a groomsmen as I had too many too choose from and I had spent more time with Cameron.

I’m sorry, but what am I looking at? I figure no tire to ride the wire. Are those round pedals? and what is the double seat looking end? Almost looks like it should sit on the shoulders. Probably very obvious, but I’m not seeing it. :thinking:

I think it is for someone to ride doing a handstand and pedaling with their hands.

A “shoulderstand” really. My guess was that it was for two people to ride this thing side by side, but I hadn’t looked very well and your guys’s guess makes more sense.

That’s quite a feat then! Although not quite as unreal as the handstand on an ultimate wheel on a wire by Reino.

Ah, right, yes, of course, I remember him to. You all were so unique.

I dare to doubt that. Of all unicyclist I met who ride a unicycle on slackrope, I never met someone who also could ride a unicycle without the wire.

I Google’d a bit. Enclosed; same unicycle, but now in action with the rider.

acts2012-2.jpg

Doubt what? That this is not as unreal as Reino’s achievement? (Triple negation.) I think that riding a handstand on an ultimate wheel on a slackrope is even harder than doing the same in shoulderstand on a unicycle. But this is just a feeling I have, I have no experience!

You never met Lutz Eichholz? And ISTR David Straitjacket could (can?) also do both.

Super cool!

i think i cant unicycle on a slackrope (never tried). i practice on a slackline which is different. but i know many who can do on a slackrope and on the ground. for example raffi vitis can juggle on a slackrope and off course unicycle on the ground too.

Oh well, apparently I know nothing :thinking:

I’m 100% sure that you know more than nothing.
But I’m not that sure the handstand UW on wire is more difficult;
reason of my I doubt it is because probably both has not much to do with unicycling as we know it, but with sideways swinging. Now when your hands are close to the wire this swing seems easier to me to control than when you’re almost in line with the two ends of the rope.
But I have to emphasize the word probably: I do not know if he was using much or any swing, but I just don’t dare to state which of the two is harder.
Anyway both skills are impressive, and very nice to be remembered for.

David Holder I met also, long ago, also in Rotterdam, without straightjacket, though I can’t recall a slacksrope. But yes, counting slackline in then Lutz is IMHO a good example of an exception. And I guess it is different, cause I don’t think he’s maintaining his balance with a wide swing, to me that seems more the opposite, he’s controlling the swing with unicycle.

Puzzle

AEV D, as you may know that second pic ended up on the November page of my 2013 calendar. So I have it on my wall since a few days and I wonder how you got your wheel “laced” through the bars of that railing? I guess that the bars were quite rusty (ocean influence, perhaps) and most of them were not attached anymore to the railing at the top, so you could bend them out and slip your wheel in. Is that it? Besides being a beautiful picture, it’s a puzzle too!

Actually there was no sort of force or magical trick needed. Here's a picture of how the railing looks like. I just put the wheel between the two horizontal bars and let the pedals rest on them. :sunglasses:

Ah, OK. In the original pic, it looks like a single horizontal bar. I noticed some “raggedness” at the bottom of the (rear) horizontal bar, and thought that some parts had rusted away. Anyway, perhaps your explanation takes away some of the magic, but it’s still cool!