Best camera for videos...

Eh, my bad. I just got excited about that video… :stuck_out_tongue: Plus, talking about a “good” convention video is square on topic.

Meanwhile, Joe still hasn’t given us much information about his computer, so there’s still little to say there.

That may not be entirely true. For example, a still camera’s RAW file format is 16-bit, but the finished images you see are only 8-bit. What those extra bits do is allow you to make a lot more corrections to the image before resampling it down to the 8-bit final file. If you do any encoding, or fancy editing (color/exposure correction), all those extra pixels will probably make a significant difference.

Gorilla pod:
Got to see if it’s strong enough to hold my Canon 20D with lens. If it is, I want one.

For RAM and HD space, “more” is relative. We still don’t know what you’ve got, but if your Dell came “standard” it can probably benefit from double the RAM. Beyond a certain point though, adding RAM has dimishing returns. If you don’t have 2GB, that’s the first place I would invest. HD space is always nice, as long as you need it. If your computer came with a cavernous HD that’s still empty, you’re in good shape though these days everyone should use an external HD for backups. If you’re close to capacity, as a general rule it’s always good to keep 10% of the drive free for page files & such. If you’re pushing that, time for a bigger HD. Yes, get one that spins fast and gets good reviews. I love my Maxtor OneTouch III with triple-interface. I use it to mirror my main HD so I have a bootable backup.

bah if i were u joe, dont worry about ur pc too much, you’ll see if its too slow, from what i saw of it it seemed like a fine machine. (i went on it for like 5 minutes i think lol)

i got one gs - 320 panasonic , its 3ccd and its awesome! Nice colors and bright.

for editing iam using a macbook core duo 2.16 and final cut.

look at a little clip i did with those equipaments http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=CAjUhM2URDI

that was…odd. anyway youtube is horable for comparing video quality because they destroy it so much.

very odd, but thanks Joe!

Cheers guys. Ill be home this coming weekend so Ill find out the spec of my computer. I cant wait to get a camera now!!

So what are the best things to go for?
3CCD?

Joe,

A 3 CCD camera will most likely give more vibrant colors as compared to that of a single CCD. Three chips however means more money to manufacture, and therefore end up being more expensive. If you can find a 3 CCD within your price range then I would say go for it. :slight_smile:

Having compared a few cameras, the one thing Im not sure of is the recording format.

On this caerma, http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pi/8-911968/Camcorders/Samsung-VP-D375W-Product-Info it says the recording is in MPEG-4, where as most others just say MniDV. Is there any difference?

Unless anyone thinks that http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pi/8-589802/Camcorders/JVC-GR-D360EX-Product-Info isnt a good camera, I think Ill buy it…
Cheers

Joe,

Hey, this has been discussed a few times, and in two of the other thread, I posted a very detail write-up about MiniDV, CCD, 3CCD, recording formats, and a lot more.

Search for them, and pretty much all your general questions of camera will be solved.

Hey guys…

okay, so my camera came today, but the instructions were in Dutch, French and German! Just downloaded the English version online, so reading through that…

As for the spec of my computer, this is what I’ve found so far… I dont know how to find anything else… (let me know if i need to!)

Manufacturer : Dell
Model: Dimension DIMC521
Rating: 3.0 Windows Experience Index
Processor : AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3800+ 2.40 GHz
Memory (RAM): 958 MB
System Type: 32-bit Operating System

And I have 176 GB free of 222GB.

That doesnt really mean anything to me…
I’m yet to put any footage on my computer, but I’ll let yous know if i have any problems. Anything you would reccomend upgrading for better editing etc?

Joe,

Those specs sound alright for editing internet videos. You saw what mine was like for editing on and my spec is lower than that.

You can’t run Adobe Premier on an AMD chip though, as I recently found out! :angry:
I can send you Editstudio if you like though.

Rock on!
Edd

cheers mate.
I’ll see what this program I got with it is like (PowerDirector 3, apparently!)
If its shite, a copy of Editstudio would be most welcome

woo, cant wait to make some videos.
I’ll be the social, movie maker unicyclist :stuck_out_tongue:

Joe,

Camcorders

This is a little late but I’ve found Mini-DV camcorders work very well for shooting sports events and uploading to a PC for editing.

Here’s a video I shot of a Uni Trials Event in Killington, VT last weekend. It was edited with Windows Movie Maker (limited features but free).

I’ll ultimately get an HD camcorder but they’re not ready for primetime yet.