Backpack

What! Were you on a milk-only diet or something?!

I’ve never carried anything really heavy on a unicycle, but what I have carried hasn’t felt uncomfortable - better than wearing a rucksack on a bike because you tend to be more upright on a unicycle.

Rob

you can ride with as much weight as you can carry and it helps alot if you have the weight distributed because if it is uneven and it can be hard to mount and control.

two brands i am considering for packs based on reviews from long distance hiker friends:
ula- awesome somewhat traditional ultralight packs
aarn- awesome packs out of new zealand, they distribute weight much better than your traditional pack, causing less fatigue, giving the user a much more free range of motion and allowing for a more natural upright position. these will be my next pack if the price is not too steep (when acquired in the us).

just found a good writeup on aarn bodypacks, and i think it shows how useful they could be for uni-trekking
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7278&highlight=aarn

I’ve just emailed Aarn asking for a sample for our up-coming group test on backpacks…

Same here, Sunday mornings was murder, but you get used to it. Whenever I’m out on my uni I have a backpack on, big oakley one loaded with food and drink, and tools on the off chance I need them. Obviously I don’t do street / trials with it on, but if i’m riding from place to place then I do.

awesome! that would be really cool if they’d do that! i know they regularly let people in NZ test their gear. what size packs are you testing?
i would suggest Liquid Agility for a daypack (made specifically for cycling), and Featherlight Freedom (or Peak Aspiration w/ sport pockets) for very long trips. the Natural Exhilaration would be a good in-between size for UL weekend trips

I use a Deuter Race Air II pack. It is a medium sized hydration pack, with a 3 liter bladder. The bladder is easily removable. The pack has a nifty metal frame with a mesh that keeps the pack up off your back some, and lets some air pass through. It’s a very nice feature in hot weather (in cold weather, if it’s below, say, 25F, I have an old super thin pack that I put the bladder in and then wear the thin pack under my jacket. Then usually the Deuter over the jacket. Quasimoto style).

The metal frame does add some weight. However I have crashed with it a few times and I think it helps absorb some of the impact, so I don’t mind.

Other than that is is your basic pack, with a large central area, a medium outside pocket, mesh bags on both sides, a small outside pocket for wallet, and a fold out helmet carrier (which is big enough just for regular bike helmets, my Fox Flux is too big).

Oh and the shoulder straps are padded, not mesh. I regularly carry 16 or so pounds and the pack is comfy.

My biggest complaint is it isn’t water proof. Riding in the rain means putting contents in plastic bags, and wearing a large rain coat that the pack fits under.

Sorry for the rambling but I think the Deuter Race Air II is an excellent pack!

http://www.tahoemountainsports.com/store/rxa2.shtml

<G>
I suppose buying 24 litres of milk does sound odd without an explanation.

I got into the habit of drinking UHT when I was a student. Because it keeps, I tended to buy it in bulk (it was cheaper to buy in packs of 6 x 1 litre anyway). I think 24 litres was the most I ever bought in one go.

I do it every day when i ride to school…:smiley:

Actually, that’s not you drinking milk as you mow the lawn in your avatar image is it? :smiley:

Nope, definitely beer :stuck_out_tongue: